Notices

Old March 4th, 2011, 12:41 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: NEW gameoptions Beta test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerpionier View Post
I just tried this fix with Vista 32 and i still get the lag in full screen mode.
What - precisely - is the apparent problem?

Cheers
Andy
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:59 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

We need to know exactly what you are seeing happen as best you can describe it and we need to know what your settings are in the MISC tab of gameoptions

Don
Old March 5th, 2011, 06:47 AM

Private

Panzerpionier is on a distinguished road

I am using Vista 32 and the free download versions of WW2 and MBT.
All my settings are set to default.
The only thing i changed after clean install was INTRO OFF.

In full-screen mode after starting a scenario, there is considerable lag in both games.

For example, right clicking a unit to bring up the unit info, will take about 10+ seconds, same when moving units, ending turns or just exiting the scenario.

The patch does not change anything about this for me.
I have also tried the win7 fix but to no avail.

The game (both WW2 and MBT) runs smoothly in windowed mode though.

I hope this was helpful.
Old March 5th, 2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I am using Vista 32 and the free download versions of WW2 and MBT.
All my settings are set to default.
The only thing i changed after clean install was INTRO OFF.

In full-screen mode after starting a scenario, there is considerable lag in both games.

For example, right clicking a unit to bring up the unit info, will take about 10+ seconds, same when moving units, ending turns or just exiting the scenario.

The patch does not change anything about this for me.
I have also tried the win7 fix but to no avail.

The game (both WW2 and MBT) runs smoothly in windowed mode though.

I hope this was helpful.
How much RAM do you have on your machine - if only 1MB, then perhaps a few more would help. (Apparently, you should really have a minimum of 2MB of RAM on Windows 7 machines, unless you have the starter edition (no aero) offered on netbooks).

It may also be a problem of your video driver trying to run 800 mode on a large monitor? - try setting the actual windows desktop to 800x600 mode then launch the game in full screen and see if it speeds up.

Also - try turning all sounds off.
- mouse interface click in the game options misc tab
- both Sound FX options in the game itself, in the options menu.
(If the latter works, then you have drivers that do not handle the older model Directplay/DirectShow interface, and are likely only optimised for whatever replaced it in DirectX 10 I think. The same is apparently true if your vista or windows 7 machine messes up the introductory splash screen - which you have set to off).

Andy
Old March 5th, 2011, 04:40 PM

Private

I have tried turning off the click and sound fx, and i have also tried setting to a lower resolution and/or changing desktop setting to 16bit.

I do have 2 mb RAM.

I have seen on the forums that others get the sluggish performance in fullscreen as well with vista and win7.
Personally i think it must be DX10 or gfx card (nvidia geforce 8800gts) related.

You dont plan by any chance to make the windowed mode resizable for non CD users, no?
Because if i could max out the window, i could just forget about fullscreen...
Old March 5th, 2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I have tried turning off the click and sound fx, and i have also tried setting to a lower resolution and/or changing desktop setting to 16bit.

I do have 2 mb RAM.

I have seen on the forums that others get the sluggish performance in fullscreen as well with vista and win7.
Personally i think it must be DX10 or gfx card (nvidia geforce 8800gts) related.

You dont plan by any chance to make the windowed mode resizable for non CD users, no?
Because if i could max out the window, i could just forget about fullscreen...
The easy way to check the graphics card drivers - is to try it on a friend or relatives machine with a different set-up.

There will be no changes to resolutions offered in the free download version since it is the game's demo. I only really added 800 mode as well as 640 for the free download as a 'freebie' - it nearly did not make it.

Andy
Old March 5th, 2011, 07:11 PM

Private

jeffreywilens is on a distinguished road

To clarify:

Are you saying 99% of Win7 users don't lose the taskbar once they start the game or just that the task bar automatically comes back for them once they exit the game session

If you are saying the former, I question that. But if you are saying the latter, I agree the reason mine does not automatically come back is due to the fact I control-alt switch so I can reference the game manual in PDF. But I agree usually when I exit out of the game, then my task bar comes back.

So I just make sure any program I may need while playing the game is already open. I have 6GB of RAM so memory is not an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreywilens View Post
I have USA version of Windows 7 Professional (live in California) installed in the normal Windows folder. I am running in admin mode.

I was just testing to see what would happen if I restarted explorer.exe and have experienced the message "Windows is using basic color" or something like that proving Aero has been nuked.
The batch file had to be edited to include a change directory (CD) command to actually change to the windows directory before restarting explorer. Otherwise, Windows 7 would simply launch an explorer window, rather than restarting the desktop, if the CMD file was called from another programme (Game Options in this case).

The CD command line was not required if you started the CMD file directly from explorer since the current directory is changed to that by the navigation in Windows Exploder itself.

At the moment - 99% of Windows 7 users have no problems with loss of the desktop, post the batch file session completing.

You seem to be one of the the exceptions. I have absolutely no idea why your set-up does not do what the other 99% do.

Not unless you are trying to relaunch the windows desktop while the full screen game session is current. That is an absolute no-no of course!.

The full-screen game batch session must be the only application of any type that you are doing. The batch session might let you alt-tab to any applications that were open when you started the session (with palette problems for them perhaps) - but the results of that are indeterminate.

Cheers
Andy
Old March 5th, 2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreywilens View Post
To clarify:

Are you saying 99% of Win7 users don't lose the taskbar once they start the game or just that the task bar automatically comes back for them once they exit the game session

If you are saying the former, I question that. But if you are saying the latter, I agree the reason mine does not automatically come back is due to the fact I control-alt switch so I can reference the game manual in PDF. But I agree usually when I exit out of the game, then my task bar comes back.

So I just make sure any program I may need while playing the game is already open. I have 6GB of RAM so memory is not an issue.

You are not, repeat not supposed to try to re-establish the windows task bar (and therefore aero which messes up the 256 colour palette) manually while playing the game full-screen under the batch file session.

The full screen game session under the control of the batch file should be the only thing you are doing on the PC at that time.

Removing explorer, the task bar, and hence the Aero interface which nukes the 256 colour palette is the entire point of the batch file session.

If you want to look at your email or do some word processing while the batch session is running, save the current game, exit WinSPXX, and do that. Then restart WinSPXX, load the save game and continue, once done with whatever it was you stopped it for.

If you need to multi-task, then you should probably be using windowed mode at 'desktop' resolution. Though any programmes open at the point you ran the batch file may be available to ALT+TAB to, even if the palette is reduced.

Andy
Old March 6th, 2011, 08:09 AM

Private

Quote:

The easy way to check the graphics card drivers - is to try it on a friend or relatives machine with a different set-up.

There will be no changes to resolutions offered in the free download version since it is the game's demo. I only really added 800 mode as well as 640 for the free download as a 'freebie' - it nearly did not make it.

Andy
Alright, i solved my lag problem by downloading the newest NVIDIA drivers 266.58...i was not aware they are out

This brought me right to messed up graphics problem, that many Vista and Win7 users describe.

So i applied this fix and the WW2 fix respectively.

Now everything works perfect, just as it had under XP.

After 2 years i can play this in full screen mode again.

Thank you very much!

Last edited by DRG; March 6th, 2011 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: corrected quote code
Old March 6th, 2011, 11:54 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

We're happy you're happy.

Don