Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old October 31st, 2017, 09:52 PM

Corporal

Gerry1 is on a distinguished road
Default Tutorial

Hello:
I need some advice.

1) I am having problems in the top part of the map where I have PzKw IVGs and PzAufk Grp taking victory locations on a hill. Problem is the T-70 M1943s get there very quickly and there are a pest to say the least. How should one deal with a situation like that? Irregardless of their presence push to the top of the hill so you can try and hit the future ones from a distance?

2) In the tutorial you have very little infantry. How do you hold on to all the victory locations you will win in the early part of the scenario. When I tried this scenario the first time the AI keep units/tanks hiding near the objectives and slid back in there when i left.

3) Tanks, even a Tiger once in a while, seem to pop smoke fairly quickly and then cannot see anything (or be seen I guess).

FYI:
In the demo version I think I was able to plot the Storch in the first turn. In the real game it says plotting is disabled until turn 2.

Thanks.
Old October 31st, 2017, 10:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tutorial

1). The hills' terrain is fairly open, and you can't hope to outrace the T-70s with your Panzer III & IVs. So you better set up your temporary defensive position west of the hills. With the Panzers relatively stationary, they can have easy pot shots against the T-70s which are exposed in the open hills. Besides, high & open ground is only good for spotters, snipers, anti-tanks, or if you have general fire superiority overall. In this scenario, you're mostly overwhelmed (look at those gigantic SU tank destroyers), so cover and concealment is your best friend. NOTE: Artillery is also good on higher ground, because you can use the "Z-fire super-quick artillery plotting"; but only if you know you have fire superiority, otherwise they're sitting ducks in the open.

2). Just let the AI advance toward you and exhaust itself. When the situation is stabilized enough, you can take the risk of leaving the V-hexes. But if you're still afraid of flankers and infiltrators, better leave a "mobile reserve" on your rear area, probably one or two of those infantry squads using SdKfz. Mobile reserves can quickly respond to sneak enemy units, or quickly reinforcing bad fronts.

3). You can disable the Smoke Dischargers via right-clicking the unit, and click the yellow Smoke Discharger button there. It's very annoying indeed, if you know your tanks are very powerful. But it can be very useful if your tank is mediocre or under bad situations.

But then, there is no specific set ways to win a war. It's all influenced by huge amount of variables, even more so when fighting human opponent.
The Following User Says Thank You to RightDeve For This Useful Post:
Old October 31st, 2017, 10:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road

Also don't forget that this game is turn-based IGOUGO. That means, your turn doesn't end when the opponent plays, rather, you still play on his turn too but via op-fire responses against them. Think of the two "phases" between you and the opponent as 0.5 turn - 0.5 turn.
Old October 31st, 2017, 11:16 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry1 View Post
FYI:
In the demo version I think I was able to plot the Storch in the first turn. In the real game it says plotting is disabled until turn 2.

Thanks.
First turn arty was disabled for WinSPWW2 version 6.0 ( 2013 ) so you had an old demo version read the game guide for version 6.0

Quote:
Artillery can no longer be plotted (including air transports and spotters) on turn 0, or 1 if the battle is a meeting engagement or you are the delayer or defender. A scenario designer can still plot artillery as he desires in his scenario, however. The AI may still plot fire as before. This is deliberate to penalise a human player who packs the approach roads. Note that the bombardment screen may still be entered to plot FDF gold spots, or toggle the blast radius display. The arty units just will not show up till post turn 1 if unavailable in the scenario for pre-game bombardment

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old November 1st, 2017, 12:12 AM

Corporal

Gerry1 is on a distinguished road

Thanks. What is FDF - don't see it spelt out in the guide. (I know what the gold spots are.)
Old November 1st, 2017, 05:00 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Final Defensive Fire = FDF = "gold spot"