.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space

Old October 26th, 2006, 08:20 AM

Private

thesilliest is on a distinguished road
Default A Suggestion for Random Events

Hi.
First I'd just like to say that it's nice to see a game where the creator(s) actually get involved in the forums, listening to suggestions -- that's great!, and you never see it with the "big" games, despite all the great ideas folks usually have...

Anyhow!, one thing I've always loved in adventure-y games, that I think WW could really benefit from, are "chance-and-choice" events. Anyone who's ever played "The Lost Tribe" or "King of Dragon Pass" knows exactly what I'm talking about - odd, random events, with multiple choices for reactions that in their results are somewhat random but "weighted" by aspects of your character (or in this case, ship, past explorations/interactions, etc), and can sometimes affect you again in the future.

So for example, you'd see something like:

A mysterious green egg has appeared in your cargo bay. Nobody knows where it might have come from. What do you do?

1. Send it to the science lab for examination (not applicable to Pirate/Military ships).
2. Attempt to remove it and eject it into space.
3. Seal the cargo hatch but leave the egg alone.
4. It must've rolled out of a carton and gone spoilt; chuck it in the incinerator.

Junk like that. And then wacky things can happy as a result, and the same choice doesn't always mean the same result - and it could either hurt you, help you, or just be funny/mysterious. Some events could be for comic relief, and others could be deadly serious. But stuff like this popping-up randomly would really add a lot to the great "randomizing" effect that gives WW such awesome replayability.

I appreciate your reading! Thanks!
Old December 1st, 2006, 12:14 PM

Corporal

Ace_Garp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Suggestion for Random Events

That idea, combined with Weird Worlds as it currently is, pretty much sums up the 'Dream Game' I've had in my head for the last twenty odd years.
Something that really conjures up the feeling of boldy going where no man has gone before, exploring an unknown cosmos, finding strange new worlds/races, adventures beyond the stars, epic space battles, etc. (You get the idea).
One day I may get to play it.
It may also say "Digital Eel" on it ;-)