.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old September 10th, 2007, 10:26 PM

Sergeant

Zylithan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Map & problems I need help with

No way to get it to intelligently assign neighbors. Rumor has it that red lines help. I notice if the straight path between the white dots (centers of provinces) goes through one and only one red line it will assign neighbors. That means it should do a hex map correct I think. A checkboard as well (I think it would do diagonals). But if you have some oddly shaped provinces (common for me) your out of luck. Also, it will not do wrap-arounds well.

Ctrl-click undoes neighbors, as stated above.
Old September 11th, 2007, 10:19 AM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

Yeah I used red lines .. it did give neighbours.. but as stated it made neighbours of every prov in about a 3 province radius.. not what I wanted

I'll try it again tomorrow cus I got pretty annoyed when I noticed a few extra adn a few missing flags and when I edited the map (no problem erasing white dots is easy) the settings for neighbours where not good again (the silly buttons in the program really didn't help. So now I'll try to get the dots correct 100% first and THEN do neighbours etc...

/next part is not completely unbiased

I'll be a great medium size map I think about 250 land an 50 water provinces a few plains for larger battles and enough chokepoints to make parts of your expanding empire.
I intend (when I know how or if a volunteer scripter can help me) to have 2 races unplayable which get a bit of an advantage (one on top of "Olympus" and one in the very depts of the world.) I'm thinking Vanaheim for Olympus (with an All father edited for a decent equipment and possibility for a somewhat decent bless strat N9W8 or something) since most leaders are blessers to I guess the AI couldn't screw that up to much.

For the depts I'm thinking either niflheim of abyssia or whatever it's called
(and maybe a water based one starting in a nice position)

Q: can I use races from different ages? The player should still be able to just choose an age and play with it then but these 2 non playable races should be the ones I want and screw the ages.

So if you have answers or want to volunteer to do the difficult scripting or want to volunteer to make the map better looking if you have graphic skills (the pangaea map in the maps thread looks nice ) then lets make it a team effort to create a great map.

Another option would to make much more provinces in the same map.. my xcf file has the borders and white dots in a seperate layer so that should be easy...
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:37 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Aezeal said:
So now I'll try to get the dots correct 100% first and THEN do neighbours etc...
That's what you should do anyway. As explained earlier, the game is not human, is does not know in any way which provinces should be neighbors and which should not. It can only detect small one-pixel white dots. It will enumerate the dots, giving a number to each one it encounters going from down to the top, left to right or so. If you alter the position of one of those dots or add/remove some, then of course you'll perturb this enumeration, and the list of neighbors will become erroneous.
Emergency comic relief
Old September 11th, 2007, 07:10 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

So noone is interested in helping me polish the map a bit?
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old September 12th, 2007, 12:54 AM

Sergeant

Zylithan is on a distinguished road

I'm interested in collaborations on maps in general. I've got at least 5 ideas I really want to finish, and only about an hour a week now because life is crazy. I'm interested in the concept. Maybe in a few weeks or months though for me...