.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old June 27th, 2004, 11:37 PM

Private

drool is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MP Game - Newbie Game (by JDScherrey)

thanks for your wise and guiding words zen. i really like this game, and i was frightened to death when i read that thread i linked. "but now i'm enlightened by your words. and i let myself to be guided by your wisdom. and there shall not be any restrictions. let us learn from our own mistakes." my mp experience is restricted to blizzards warcraft3 on battle.net.and its kinda different out there, i tell you. so i`m sorry if i came out kinda offensive in start. sorry `bout that. but read the thread and you get the idea why i was feeling that way. not meaning to be sarcastic in any way, zen.
Old June 28th, 2004, 12:30 AM

You should go ahead and play this game with those rules, since it was started with them in place. But in the future, you should look towards not limiting your games or it will impede your MP progress. If you don't mind or don't care about being more competitive in MP and only want to play with your friends, go ahead and play with House Rules, they are there to make the game 'funner' for some people. But if you would like to not get frustrated playing other people than your friends, I would try to stay away from strict limitations.

I hope you have fun Drool, there are plenty of people on the forum who can help you as your game progresses, though you had better keep it on the hush hush if your opponents read this board.
Old June 28th, 2004, 07:12 AM

Private

JDScherrey is on a distinguished road

I am in agreement on the zero restrictions. But the bigger question is when do we start playing and I like the Karan map too. Nice and big.

Christopher

I'm up for any nation really. I just want to start picking nations and get ready to play
Old June 28th, 2004, 09:30 AM

Private

hi y`all.

i think that norfleet is right about both things. it will be hard to get 8 to 10 people together for a play from forums. and if we do get, aran will be too crowded for us. so if people show up, then we play karan or some other big map, which ever gets the most votes. but if we get like 4to6 playas, then i prefer to stick with the nice aran.map. it has history. and its my personal favorite. enough coaststal lines, forests and mountains.

about the starting. you have to give me a little time to get that other comp working properly. so there will hopefull be no server off-line Messages. tuesday? wednesday? but people have to go to work, so if we make that jumpstart, it`ll have to be weekend. and for me next weekend ain`t going to be happening.. what can i say? i`d play you right away. but.. theres always a big but.
Old June 28th, 2004, 11:25 AM

Major General

Norfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, if you're really eager to get a game rolling, you might want to try hanging out on the IRC #dominions channel on irc.gamesurge.net. It's been fairly quiet lately, but if enough people showed up and were ready to play at any given time, you could get a spontaneous quickstart game going. This has its good, bad, and ugly points, though.
Old June 28th, 2004, 10:20 PM

Private

Tannath is on a distinguished road

Drool: if you can't start the game next weekend, maybe we could start it next wednesday or thursday, and in the weekend of 10-11 July we could make 20-30 turns in the same day (not the first turns, but...)

I would like to be Abysia
Old June 29th, 2004, 03:17 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

drool can you please repost the settings / rules ?
if you chose to keep them as you listed in your starting post just say you keep them but plz post additional info on the following :
- random events common / rare ?
- research difficulty ?
- standard victory or with vp ? if vp how much are there on the whole map and how much to win ?

if it is allowed and not already taken by someone else i would like to try ermor instead .
Old June 29th, 2004, 06:24 PM

Private

for tannath. yes your request is ok. wednesday/thursday sounds good. and rush next weekend. maybe on both days.

settings:
humans only. starting provinces1, ind7, normal richnes, magic sites 35, random events common, research normal, standard victory. one turn for 24h. map aran. (norfleet said that aran would be too crowded for 8 people. yeah maybe, but isn`t it the idea of the game that weaker pretenders tend to die, and only strongest will survive and deserve to mutiply?)(oh,i just had to say that). i like the look of parganos too. and its bigger than aran. desert eye goes fine too, it just got to be unwrapparounded first.
and about glamhoarding and similar. its up to you how you play the game.

no vps in my plans. but if people like idea of few vp locations to strenghten dominions, and for something to fight for. its okay to me.
standard victory conditions anyway.
tell me what you think.

ermor is okay too.
i dunno thought of the other players..

how many people are coming to play?

boron-ermor
tannath-abysia
drool-ulm
jd-sherrey-anything goes?
starswarsluke-caelum
huzurdaddi-were you interested?
is this true or false?
anybody else?
Old June 29th, 2004, 06:36 PM

Major General

Norfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

There's a few other problems with Aran than mere crowding: Firstly, the map is not terribly well balanced for large crowds, as there are a very large number of very ****ty starting positions out on the peninsula. With 8 people, somebody's going to end up being screwed by getting stuck there with 3 other equally screwed suckers. While the map is great and has a lot of story in single player, it's badly balanced for multiplayer.

You're all welcome to discover this for yourself, though. After all, discovering which maps suck for what conditions is a part of being a newbie.

Just don't say I didn't warn you!

[ June 29, 2004, 17:37: Message edited by: Norfleet ]
Old June 29th, 2004, 06:46 PM

Private

starwarsluke is on a distinguished road

Sorry about this but would it be possible to start the game on saturday instead of wedensday/thursday because I doubt I will be able to take my turn on wedensday, thursday or friday though i might be able to. Also a second question. By humans only you are talking about pretenders right? Would it be ok to use a Arch Seraph?