.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 6th, 2007, 10:14 AM

Corporal

tromper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kristoffer\'s encouragement thread

Yay, another patch looms! Like Velusion, I'd like to see a slight neutering of Hel/Van. I also think it would be worthwhile to spend some time with quantum_mechanic and to listen to his ideas as implemented with his cb mod, and whether or not you feel that they would be worthwhile, especially with the pretender balancing.

Plus, an evening out of national heroes and the implementation of national spells for *all* nations would add more flavour.

My partner is Afghan, and while she doesn't play or anything, I was telling her about some of the nations and she mentioned that the incredibly complex and violent history of Afghanistan historically would make a great national addition.... Though heck, I wouldn't mind seeing an Eskimo nation - Aleut/Inuit/etc. Or one that utilizes the cave men independents or.

Whoa, I'm getting carried away! *duct taping fingers*
Old March 6th, 2007, 10:30 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

You know asking the devs for nations is less likely to get you somewhere than asking modders. I've made a mod nation which pretty much follows a concept someone posted up there.

Maybe some of you are a bit leery of mod nations, but in my opinion there's some really killer stuff just a click away.
Old March 6th, 2007, 10:40 AM

Sergeant

SlipperyJim is on a distinguished road

Kristoffer: I don't have any requests, actually. I think Dom3 is a darn fine game as-is. The only things I would add would be more of the stuff you've already given us: more nations, more spells, more magic items, more maps....

More of the same, please!
Old March 6th, 2007, 10:54 AM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
tromper said:
Plus, an evening out of national heroes and the implementation of national spells for *all* nations would add more flavour.

Though heck, I wouldn't mind seeing an Eskimo nation - Aleut/Inuit/etc.
A hopefully easy addition in a future patch would be to perhaps make the worthy heros mod part of vanilla dominions 3. I am abit wary of any mod but the worthy heros mod is great AFAIK.

Eskimos are already in Dom3, LA Atlantis.
Old March 6th, 2007, 11:24 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Worthy Heroes has some questionable stuff in it as well as a few errors (from what I've seen). I do agree totally with the principle of it, I just think it should stick a little closer to vanilla and fix more problems than it creates.

Anyway, don't want to sidetrack the thread.
Old March 6th, 2007, 12:23 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
tromper said:
Though heck, I wouldn't mind seeing an Eskimo nation - Aleut/Inuit/etc.
You might enjoy the Late Era Atlantis then, since they are based directly on the Inuit.
Old March 6th, 2007, 02:04 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Kristoffer O said:
Hi all!

This is my encouragement thread.

I have done far too little dominions work lately. Some skiing in the northern parts of sweden, some pen and paper rpg making and some school related work has put me off task.

I tend to get caught up in stuff. I have lured myself into two rpg projects of my own. One campaign and one game. I'm not that good at focusing on one project. The game is about trolls in a scandinavian setting influenced by the artist John Bauer. http://runeberg.org/jbauer/01.jpg

OK. Back to why I'm writing. I believe I will be more focused if I write some stuff here. So this thread is is intended to increase my bad conscience for not working on dominions. I'm not sure how long it will work on me.

My current intention is to write occasional stuff here and let you comment (or encourage me) if you like.

Hope you like it.
I would say the best advancement for improving Dominions_3 would be to open more methods for allowing gamers to improve/adjust the game. Thus you could take a long vacation and see what new adjustments the community has provided.
Adjustments such as AI scripts used to change strategies of computer opponents... some of the older PC games even provided this option. Not sure if this would need to wait until DOM_4.
Method for gamers to change and add events... this would increase replay value even for the veterans. Another suggestion which may need to wait until DOM_4.

Fix the #startspell within the map edit commands because currently it only lasts one turn. I truly miss this working.

The more modding and map edit commands which are created... the more replay value the game will provide. These improvements are also a good direction.

Just a reminder that DOMINIONS_3 is a terrific game !
Thanks for everything you provided.
Old March 6th, 2007, 02:11 PM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road

KO - hang in there, in just another couple of weeks the sun will rise.

I have been greatly enjoying the game and have found these last several patches to be excellent.

I'll register one vote for ignoring QM/CB entirely. I think you guys do a much better job than he does.
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe
Old March 6th, 2007, 03:39 PM

Private

merlinme is on a distinguished road

I'd strongly support making the game (and in particular, the AI), more moddable. If you look at what has been achieved with a game like Hearts of Iron II, it's impressive how big an improvement has been made to the AI just by allowing modders to tweak things like aggressiveness, build queues, research queues, etc.

Not everything can be fixed this way, but you can definitely improve the challenge the AI gives to a human player. And the best part of it is, most of the work is done for you, for free!
Old March 6th, 2007, 03:39 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

> I'll register one vote for ignoring QM/CB entirely. I think you guys do a much better job than he does.

No way, QM had a big role in the beta testing balancing. His work is good, although I havn't peeked at the CB for quite a while.

---

Man is not called man as in human male. More like man as in Isle of Man or something. A place, not a gender or a race.

I pronounce it with a long 'a'. Like in 'bar', 'lard', 'bard' etc. Maan. But I'm swedish.

---

Cavemen will appear in many forms if and when I finish Gath.