Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
calling new modders - Page 3 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old December 10th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: calling new modders

Just CBM 1.6... Well, I can look...

Don't see any #newsites in CBM.

Last edited by Squirrelloid; December 10th, 2009 at 05:58 PM..
Old December 11th, 2009, 09:25 AM

Second Lieutenant

Stavis_L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
Stavis: your Azgeth mod caused the game to crash due to 'bad start site #'

I tried running it with CBM, which may have been the problem, but I didn't think CBM changed many site #s...

Can you refer to sites by name, or does it require site# input? I can go look those up...
Ok, so, I briefly plugged in the mod last night (and noticed I forgot to add a #descr for the nation) but (with all other mods disabled) it did not throw any bad start site errors. I did notice there was an extra "Azgeth" folder in the zip - just make sure the .dm is in the mods folder, and the "Azgeth" folder containing the 2 images is also in the mods folder.

I didn't have time to try it with CBM also enabled, so I can only assume there is a conflict, though I tried to choose numbers that didn't match the ranges that CBM uses.

In any case, for me at least, you get the expected recruitable roster, sites (including the new one), and starting troops.

If I get a chance, I'll see if I can determine what the conflict is, but I can't promise anything soon as I'm quite busy with "real life" at the moment.
Old December 12th, 2009, 02:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

Stavis_L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavis_L View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
Stavis: your Azgeth mod caused the game to crash due to 'bad start site #'

I tried running it with CBM, which may have been the problem, but I didn't think CBM changed many site #s...

Can you refer to sites by name, or does it require site# input? I can go look those up...
Ok, so, I briefly plugged in the mod last night (and noticed I forgot to add a #descr for the nation) but (with all other mods disabled) it did not throw any bad start site errors. I did notice there was an extra "Azgeth" folder in the zip - just make sure the .dm is in the mods folder, and the "Azgeth" folder containing the 2 images is also in the mods folder.

I didn't have time to try it with CBM also enabled, so I can only assume there is a conflict, though I tried to choose numbers that didn't match the ranges that CBM uses.
Ok, so it's a conflict with CBM 1.6 I had looked in Gregstrom's cross reference, and I guess it hasn't been updated since CBM 1.5 (or I haven't re-downloaded, or I'm just blind, always possible )

Anyway, the conflict is because of this in CBM 1.6:

--Man ME

#newsite 800
#name "Forest of Avalon "
#homemon 64
#gems 6 3
#path 6
#end

#selectnation 30
#addreccom 212
#addrecunit 65
#clearsites
#startsite "Forest of Avalon "
#startsite "Tower of Avalon"
#end

I've updated the Azgeth mod code to use a different site (801), and also updated the unit numbers (now using 3000-3009), since that range overlaps this mod too. I also fixed an issue with the pretender based heroes showing up in the pretender list.

I *think* it's all working now, but I haven't really put it through its paces, and probably won't soon.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Azgeth_v0.2.zip (5.4 KB, 86 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Stavis_L For This Useful Post:
Old December 14th, 2009, 08:59 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Maybe armies but it might end up forging lots of equipment and decking out thugs.
I've never seen an AI created thug that worked (as in, did more than kill a handful of troops then die horribly and give you the items). Has anyone?
Old December 14th, 2009, 09:31 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

If it concentrates on thug tactics it still might be an irritant. Besides it rarely gives equipment that is anything to drool over.

I was thinking of maybe giving it trolls and cavemen. And any type of thuggy commander with low leadership so it ends up with lots of commanders that have lots of slots free in case that makes a difference in its "thinking". I seem to be seeing it that way with the mage-only junk nation but since it seems to assign equipment differently for mages Id still like to see late-game for a thug-only nation.

I think there are already some thug-type nations modded. I could just test those in some automatic games against the built-in nations on AI to see if they do better or worse. But I figure Id try some "pure" junk nations first with nothing but (in this case thugs) to see how it goes. I was going to test some of the modded nations we have later on when I have an idea of what is desirable.
Old December 14th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

The best way I have found to make AI thugs is to modify their stats as if they were equipped with the desired gear, then if desired you can set them to 0 item slots.

For instance, instead of using map commanders to give the thug "Full Steel Plate"

Use a mod command to give the modified thug #armor "Full Steel Plate".

Then set the item slots to 0 and if desired give them #onebattlespell (Whatever) + things like fireshield etc. to simulate effects from the items.
Old December 14th, 2009, 10:12 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Oh I definitely agree - you could give the AI some pretty nasty thugs that they'd use, via mod commands.

I don't think they'd be interesting to play against, but it would be easy to do. I mean we'd be talking a fireshielded guy with a frost brand weapon, awesome armour, awesome shield, the entangle effect, superb mr and most important, big built in reinvig. Then you just have them as a summon or a commander recruit for the AI and have them onebattlespell berserk to make sure they actually do something as opposed to hiding behind troops or spamming vine arrow or something.
Old December 14th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

Yup. I think in order to make them challenging at all you would need to ensure the AI has and can replenish them from the get go, and make a variety of them so there is some surprise concerning what you will be facing.