The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old December 27th, 2007, 12:45 AM

Captain

AgentZero is on a distinguished road
Default OT: It\'s the end of the world as we know it!

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of some end-of-the-world mythology they'd care to share. I've just gotten a good schooling in the Norse version over on #spaceempires, and I'm well familiar with the Christian version from a Catholic upbringing, but I'm wondering about some other theories as to how it's all going to go down.

If you're wondering, it's for a story I'm working on while I'm at my parents house (HifH will get worked on once I get home). I'm not willing to give away much, but suffice to say, I'd like to know about as many end-of-days theories as I can.
Old December 27th, 2007, 01:18 AM

Sergeant

Ironmanbc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: It\'s the end of the world as we know it!

It's the end of the world as we know it!

When all the Governments stop thinking and start DOing and help OTHERS and not themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old December 27th, 2007, 01:36 AM

Captain

AgentZero is on a distinguished road

No... That's not what I was thinking of at all...
Old December 27th, 2007, 02:39 AM

Brigadier General

mac5732 is on a distinguished road

#1 war will start in middle east and spread as countries take sides.

#2 war will start in asia against the Chinese, the yellow race will spread everywhere as they take country after country and the final showdown happens in the middle east

#3 The anti christ appears, with the 666 and so on...

#4 The nekkid phong land in England and US and lull everyone into a false sense of security, then they seduce all the politicians (which is always easy) then proceed to replace them with clones....

BEWARE; crochety old geezers play SE4, in between bathroom runs
Phong's Head Parking
Old December 27th, 2007, 07:17 AM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road

Ok, I'll supply a link..

End of 6,000 year lease with satan. August 20 2008..

It's an interesting read, what bogles my mind is that way back when I saw a Timeline technology chart based on the Great Pyramid. the timeline had spikes that corresponded major inventions and technological advances over the years. In august 2008 the timeline spike jumps off the chart.

Anyways, Cheers!
Old December 27th, 2007, 09:56 AM

Colonel

Arkcon is on a distinguished road

Well, are you looking for purely {historical} prophecy, or are you interested in having some {fun with it}?

Second one is always good whenever someone pops by with some lame novel that really makes them think. They truly believe that the stuff they find in the "Left Behind" genre are so unique and deep, and that nothing like this was ever written before.
Old December 27th, 2007, 05:45 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

"It's the end of the world as we know it...and I feel fine." [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/MusicalNote.gif[/img] [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/MusicalNote.gif[/img]

Anyone know that song?

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old December 27th, 2007, 08:21 PM

Corporal

MasterChiToes is on a distinguished road

I believe the Hopi said the US would be invaded by an army wearing red.
Some native Americans are also expecting the return of the Lost White Brother, who is said to be near omnipotent... he would wear a red feathered cape or something.

Almost all non-Western prophecies, including the Mayan, predict not the end of the world but the transition to a new world.
Old December 27th, 2007, 10:22 PM

Corporal

rstaats10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Renegade 13 said:
"It's the end of the world as we know it...and I feel fine." [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/MusicalNote.gif[/img] [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/MusicalNote.gif[/img]

Anyone know that song?
Yes I do, by R.E.M. and good song too.

As far as end of world scenarios go the earth will end in time as we know it through natural events beyond our present control.
(1)The earth goes through warm and cold cycles and when the next ice age hits us then we are screwed. (Most likely near term event)
(2)Also have plate movement. It will take a long time to become pangea again though.
(3)Volcanic activity. Unknown exact time for major Earth changing eruption.
(4)Impact events. Random and calculated events. Large enough impact could destroy the Earth but most likely would just change the climate

These examples are just some natural causes of the end of the world, assuming we (humans) don't wipe each other out first.

As far as religous theories go, I found this on the net. hope it helps you.

Many religions predict the end of the world. According to Hinduism, at the end of each cycle of creation. which spans billions of years, Brahman in his aspect as Rudra will destroy the worlds and withdraws them into himself. According to Christianity the world will come to an end through a series of cataclysmic events followed by resurrection of departed souls and judgment day. According to Vedic tradition, Aditi is mother of eight Adityas or solar deities (suns). At the end of creation these eight suns will shine together in the skies. In the following sermon, the Buddha speaks of how seven suns will appear in the sky and how the planet earth will eventually be destroyed, after many hundreds and thousands of years, through a series of cataclysmic events which are described below.

The earth will suffer from a severe drought due to lack of rains. All vegetation and life forms will disappear and vanish from the planet.

A second sun will appear in the horizon, resulting in the evaporation of many streams and ponds.

A third sun will appear resulting in the evaporation of many great rivers like the Ganges.

After a long lapse of time, a fourth sun will appear in the sky resulting in the evaporation of great lakes.

After another long lapse of time, a fifth sun will appear and the oceans will dry up slowly till they will become a finger deep.

After another long lapse of time, a sixth sun will appear. The earth crust and core will heat up to intense temperatures resulting in many volcanic explosions, scorched earth and smoke filled skies.

After another vast interval, a seventh sun will appear. The earth will become a fiery ball of flame and expand. Its flames will spread far and wide. Finally it will explode and disappear altogether.

The manner in which the Buddha predicted the end of the earth sounds very much like a modern scientific theory on the destruction of planets and the entire solar system. The Buddha also clearly mentions that all life forms will vanish before the appearance of the second sun. Thereafter the earth will be a dead planet ready for its eventual destruction. The seven suns mentioned in the discourse probably are various planets of the solar system that would become hot and shine like stars due to some changes in the activity of the sun or its gravitational force. The manner in which the drying up of the planet earth is described reminds one of the greenhouse effect and the events that might have happened on planets like Mars which had once oceans and rivers and probably life forms. The Buddha delivered this sermon to remind his disciples of the impermanent nature of the world and of our existence, which is subject to decay and renewal and from which even a god like Brahma is not free unless he overcomes it by practicing Dhamma and following the eight-fold path.

Old January 8th, 2008, 09:06 AM

Sergeant

Gozra is on a distinguished road

http://www.diagnosis2012.co.uk/1.htm#Beyond%202012

http://www.survive2012.com/
The fact that slaughter is a horrifying spectacle must make us take war more seriously, but does not provide an excuse for gradually blunting our swords in the name of humanity. Sooner or later, someone will come along with a sharper sword and hack off our arms
Clausewitz