.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 21st, 2008, 05:06 PM

Captain

CUnknown is on a distinguished road
Default Dominions 3: popularity rising?

Is it just me, or is this site seeing a steady increase in traffic? How do we check that? I would be interested.

Take a look at the number of active games we have going right now, it's pretty amazing! This is not even including blitzes organized over IRC.

Is this number of active games unprecedented, or am I imagining things?

I know as far as myself personally, I am as enthusiastic about Dominions now as ever. I bought Sins of a Solar Empire and was really taken aback by the graphics for about a week. Now that the new Dominions patch is out, though, I realize that all I want to do is play Dominions. Sins seems like an excellent game, but I haven't given it much thought at all lately.

I count over 40 current multiplayer games that seem reasonably active. I don't recall ever seeing so many, for example, back in Dominions 2 days.
Old March 21st, 2008, 05:43 PM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions 3: popularity rising?

No, I think you are right. I have never seen the forums this busy, and have never seen even half as many MP games going on as are now, all the way back to Dom2.

A year ago, I could find my game thread in the MP board in about two seconds. Now I often have to search for my games because they may have already been pushed to the second or third page.

I occasionally post something useful.
Old March 21st, 2008, 05:50 PM

Corporal

Kamamura is on a distinguished road

Well, personally, I have been playing Dom3 for over a year, but only SP. Only this week I got into 2 MP games and it started my excitement, I am trying to study the magic system into more depth. As a chess player, I see more depth in this game than in most strategy games on the market. I like slow, deliberate MP games with lots of planning and combinations.
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:19 PM

First Lieutenant

Corwin is on a distinguished road

Hard for me to tell, I have not be around recently. But MP forum seems to be very active indeed.

Personally I've come back to Dom3 few weeks ago after 1 year long pause. I was kindof burned out on it back then, after winning 2 long and time consuming games, losing the 3rd and having the 4rd (the longest one and the most time-consuming one) abandoned. So I've stoped playing.

But now I am into it again and I love it. I also like all these new nations that appeared while I was not looking, it certainly adds diversity into the game. Great job devs!

Oh, and I also got my friend addicted to this game, he bought a copy of dom3 few weeks ago, now he is plying the heck out of it. He will likely to appear on this board at some point.
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

AlgaeNymph is on a distinguished road

Well, I did post about the Gaming Relief Act sale on the Steve Jackson Games Forums...
Old March 21st, 2008, 07:29 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Lots of new faces around now. I'm on the forums nearly every day and I'm seeing many user names I've never seen before, so you're not just imagining things.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 02:01 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

The community is strong and growing because Dominions has great depth, game content, strategy, map options and constant game patches.

Dominions is a masterpiece which has great room for improvements, we just have to wait for Illwinter to return and develop its next sequel. The same as waiting for Michael Jordan to return to basketball when he left for wanting to try baseball.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 02:45 AM

Second Lieutenant

moderation is on a distinguished road

I've had Dominions 3 for about a week and I'm loving it. But if Dom 4 came out next month with a lot of improvements, particularly UI improvements, I think I would get it too. The SP is only so-so, but playing the demo in MP won me over. Also, Dom 3 fills that place in your gaming life that Master of Magic left behind.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 04:54 AM

First Lieutenant

Corwin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
moderation said:
I've had Dominions 3 for about a week and I'm loving it. But if Dom 4 came out next month with a lot of improvements, particularly UI improvements, I think I would get it too.

Don't hold your breath for it. Based upon what I've read on this forum, there is a zero chance of Dom4 happening anytime in the close or medium future. Which is a damn pity IMHO.

On the positive side devs keep updating Dom3 and adding new content with the patches.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 01:13 PM

Private

Tenebrion is on a distinguished road

Well, I just got into the game about a month ago, and have been spamming my MMORPG guild forums with Dom 3 propaganda. I'm sure there've got to be other newbies out there like me that are doing the same.

It's a pity that more people don't know about this game, because I think it could be even bigger than it is now. If the developers were to advertise on websites like www.penny-arcade.com, or www.mmorpg.com, I'm sure they'd be able to tap into a new market of gamers that's particularly rabid about fantasy / strategy games.

It worked for Poxnora.