.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 16th, 2008, 05:47 PM

First Lieutenant

Loren is on a distinguished road
Default A rounding problem with population

Long ago I took a province with 600 people in it. My dominion is long since imposed, growth 3.

It's still got 600 people in it.

Obviously, it's not growing enough per turn and the growth is being rounded down to zero.
Old June 16th, 2008, 06:24 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A rounding problem with population

The gene pool shrank too much, and now everybody is related and can't marry each other.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old June 17th, 2008, 02:44 AM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Well, it only counts in 10s, it's not exactly rounding. The pop is actually counted in memory as 60, and is not increasing by 1, or even .5 and therefor won't go up. You'd need about 850 pop to get it to grow even with G3, it looks like.
Old June 17th, 2008, 11:23 AM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
JimMorrison said:
Well, it only counts in 10s, it's not exactly rounding. The pop is actually counted in memory as 60, and is not increasing by 1, or even .5 and therefor won't go up. You'd need about 850 pop to get it to grow even with G3, it looks like.
But it *IS* rounding--the fraction is being rounded down to zero as the field can't hold it.

I think this should be special-cased: If the growth rate is positive the population should grow by at least the minimum possible amount.

Note that this would also address LA Ermor, LA R'yleh and Hinnom depleted provinces.
Old June 17th, 2008, 12:23 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

Hardly, as +10 per month would still take 85 turns (7 years) to reach just 850 (where Growth 3 can first make an influence according to you guys.)
Old June 17th, 2008, 12:46 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

What happens with population decrease?

Is that also the same way, so a population that would drop by less than 10 doesn't drop at all?
Or does the decrease round up, so it drops by 10 every month?
Old June 17th, 2008, 01:02 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Agrajag said:
Hardly, as +10 per month would still take 85 turns (7 years) to reach just 850 (where Growth 3 can first make an influence according to you guys.)
It wouldn't make a big difference but it just seems so wrong that a depopulated province doesn't ever recover. People would move in!
Old June 17th, 2008, 01:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hoplosternum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Agrajag said:
I don't really agree Agrajag. Not with the maths that I'm sure you have spot on But the problem is completely depleted provinces which cannot ever again produce even a 1 resource mage. Even a tiny population (enough to give a few resources or even just one) would be a huge boost. Often being able to build a unit (scout/ mage/ leader - even over a few turns) is what you want out of a province rather than a troop factory. The pop death does not remove the indi mage sites but it can make them worthless, especuially if surrounded by other zero pop provinces.

So a change to making growth scales give the minimum population growth would be a huge and IMHO welcome change.

Of course you are correct that until 850 pop is reached the difference between growth 3 and growth 1 will be zero, but that is not what is so bad about the death dom of Ermor et al. Nor what is good about growth 3.

Growth 3 only really pays off in big pop provinces. A pop 20000 province becoming a 40000 one (after X turns) gives a big income boost. But a 2000 to 4000 jump is still not giving a lot extra even if in percentage terms the growth is the same.
Old June 17th, 2008, 01:52 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Hoplosternum said:
I don't really agree Agrajag. Not with the maths that I'm sure you have spot on But the problem is completely depleted provinces which cannot ever again produce even a 1 resource mage. Even a tiny population (enough to give a few resources or even just one) would be a huge boost. Often being able to build a unit (scout/ mage/ leader - even over a few turns) is what you want out of a province rather than a troop factory. The pop death does not remove the indi mage sites but it can make them worthless, especuially if surrounded by other zero pop provinces.
Exactly. That's why I hate depleted provinces--no indie mages from them.

I had another thought--it should only apply if there are people next door. People can't move in unless they are there to move in.
Old June 17th, 2008, 03:29 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Loren wrote: "it just seems so wrong that a depopulated province doesn't ever recover. People would move in!"

Pre-industrial non-nomadic people didn't move very often. As in, peasants generally spend their entire lives within a day or two's walk of where they were born.

What are the existing ways to increase population in Dom 3? Offhand I can think of:

* Growth scale, as discussed here.
* Random events, which are more likely in situations... such as having positive growth scale.
* Wishing for population.