.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old April 18th, 2007, 07:25 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Poor, poor lucky gandalf

Anyone given this a go?

Impressions?
Old April 18th, 2007, 08:34 AM

Sergeant

BandarLover is on a distinguished road
Default Impressions!

Meant to write this earlier but I've been uber-busy. I've played Broken Sword to about mid game so far and like it much better than plain old Jomon. Excellent job on the graphics and the flavor text. It's obvious you've done your research and I love the Japanese horror film influence. That being said...

To me, the red Nekoni seem out of place with the regular troops. They just FEEL like they should be a commander unit. And did you mean to have both the O-toyo and Black Nekoni be recruitable? That seems a bit redundant since they are the same unit. Unless I'm missing something.

Also, though I must admit I've not seen every units abilities as yet, but I don't see any national summons. The update mentions castable Kyuuketsuki summon but I can't find it in my research lists for magic.

None of this changes the fact that I think this mod is awesome. I'll prolly never play LE Jomon again.

Interesting side note: While playing, one of my commanders was attacked by a ninja. While Jomon wasn't in this game and it was just a random event, it was still cool to think that somewhere, Jomon still had it out for the Broken Sword empire.

Keep up the good work Sombre. Reading through your posts, it looks like you've got your plate over full with projects.
Old April 18th, 2007, 09:20 AM

Second Lieutenant

VedalkenBear is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Impressions!

I have played this mod. It's very interesting, and challenging in the early game where you can have definite morale issues. I've never seen an O-Toyo fail a Seduction, though; what is their 'number'? (IIRC, Succubus is 16, right?)

As far as the flavor is concerned... doesn't really fit with my knowledge of Japanese culture/history, but ah well. It seems to please most people. (A woman-dominated Japanese nation should be EA, not LA.)

I haven't played the new version with the fixed national summoners, I believe. (I tried summoning one of them, and got Visitors?!? Or was that another mod...)

I'll take another look and check stuff out.
Old April 18th, 2007, 09:20 AM

BANNED USER

I half agree with you in regards to the Red Nekoni. Maybe it's their graphic but they're a bit odd as national troops. It's possible I'll do something about this in a future version, but they aren't going to be commanders at any point - they aren't that different from the the giants of Utgard, the werewolves, trolls and draconians of Vaetti or the Oni and giant bakemono of Shinuyama and Yomi.

The O-Toyo and Black Nekoni are indeed the same. I just wasn't sure that the AI ever used manual shape-shifting ability. Anyone know if this is the case? (A sidenote, I've found out that the AI can use call allies).

You're 100% right about the summons. In updating I managed to revert their restricted nation ID back to the old Jomon one.

Attached to the first post (in a moment) is an updated version which fixes this but pretty much nothing else. So if you want the three national summons, download it. Otherwise, no need to bother.
Old April 18th, 2007, 04:15 PM

Brigadier General

Shovah32 is on a distinguished road

When the red nekoni are killed they transform into 360 year old regular samurais(with -60% stats), not maidens.
Old April 18th, 2007, 06:51 PM

Sergeant

BandarLover is on a distinguished road

In the game I'm playing, my O-toyo's have failed seduction twice. Course, it was against C'tis too. Methinks lizardmen don't find humies that attractive.

I see your point with the Red nekoni atleast, when compared with say, Neifel giants with reg giants. Perhaps keep the Red Nekoni recruitable units but make a commander version for them, ala the Niefel giant leader for Jotunhiem. I know you said perhaps not a commander, but maybe?

Of course I'm going to redownload for the national summons. THEY'RE FREAKIN NATIONAL SUMMONS!! Little too excited?
Old April 18th, 2007, 09:44 PM

BANNED USER

Shovah32: Doh. Good catch. It's fixed now in the attached v.058.

Very easy fix, just forgot to update an old unit number.
Old April 19th, 2007, 06:37 PM

Sergeant

UninspiredName is on a distinguished road

Not sure if this is intended or not, but black nekonis have the usual assortment of head, torso, arms, and boots item slots.

Thanks for the mod, I'm really addicted to it.
Old April 20th, 2007, 09:43 AM

BANNED USER

Quote:
VedalkenBear said:
I have played this mod. It's very interesting, and challenging in the early game where you can have definite morale issues. I've never seen an O-Toyo fail a Seduction, though; what is their 'number'? (IIRC, Succubus is 16, right?)

As far as the flavor is concerned... doesn't really fit with my knowledge of Japanese culture/history, but ah well. It seems to please most people. (A woman-dominated Japanese nation should be EA, not LA.)

I haven't played the new version with the fixed national summoners, I believe. (I tried summoning one of them, and got Visitors?!? Or was that another mod...)

I'll take another look and check stuff out.
I missed this reply the last time, just noticed it now.

The O-Toyo has a succubus/seduce ability of 10, so they should fail more often than the real thing. Maybe you've just been lucky - they do tend to be really good assassins even if they fail though, but they come at a steep price. Not 100% sure on their balance.

Yomi, Shinuyama and Jomon don't exactly fit Japanese history. Indeed you could say that only Jomon is really Japan - the three eras feel like different places to me. Regardless the idea behind the mod basically came from modern J-Horror (which is full of females) the old legend of the Japanese 'cat vampire' and some other asian horror influences.

The summons possibly aren't that well balanced.
Old April 20th, 2007, 02:32 PM

Corporal

Wyatt Hebert is on a distinguished road

Just so you know, Sombre, Vedalken has a degree in Japanese Culture and Language, so he has a pretty good idea how close things are to history.

I'm curious as to his impressions on Shinuyama and Yomi. My guess, honestly, is that those two are closer to Japanese _mythology_, whereas the one you've come up with is much closer to, pardon the term, modern mythology.

Just a guess...