.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

winSPWW2- Save $6.00
World Supremacy- Save $8.00

   







Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #591  
Old April 20th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Soyweiser's Avatar

Soyweiser Soyweiser is offline
Colonel
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,735
Thanks: 272
Thanked 120 Times in 93 Posts
Soyweiser is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conquest of Elysium 3 dev log

It is very hard not to reply here. But I'm not going to. As I do not want to be banned. (Hi Strider!)
__________________
I'm acting like a high school girl /\
Bookmark these links:
http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453
Reply With Quote
  #592  
Old April 23rd, 2012, 04:47 PM
NTJedi's Avatar

NTJedi NTJedi is offline
General
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: az
Posts: 3,069
Thanks: 41
Thanked 39 Times in 28 Posts
NTJedi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conquest of Elysium 3 dev log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
So your argument is that any person has done it, but they shouldnt do it, so you should be able to continue insulting them while presenting your ideas? And that means they should read, and consider, and be willing to appear to cave in to your expertise?
No, you're missing the point of my argument so I will try and provide more details for you to understand. My point is that they're countless numbers of different people, different cultures, and different personalities all across the world. One individual might voice their ideas/opinions and sound rude yet to another individual they sound excited and the original person might feel they're presenting themselves in yet another different way. Knowing there's individuals across the world which lack the social skills, language skills, or possibly deal with personality deficiencies is more than enough reason why the presentation should be a *small* variable when reviewing a list of ideas presented. On the same note I would rather have a veteran experienced mechanic with a sailors foul mouth working on my vehicle as compared to the inexperienced pretty college girl. Here's another common quote... "Don't judge a book by it's cover" . It's unwise to ignore a good book or a good idea simply because the presentation or apppearance is bad. I hope this help you understand.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Oh yeah. I can see that. That argument would apply to any "they" I know. Unless of course I know them personally. Then of course, I cant think of anyone who would do that at all. Even the wimpiest person that I know who is usually willing to acknowledge that he knows nothing, no I cant even see him doing it if the challenge was made publicly.
I can't think of anyone which ever made challenges or demands, yet even if someone did make challenges or demands the presentation should have little value when matching against other ideas. I can surely say ideas of near equal value is where the presentation should make a difference. As mentioned earlier I would want the king which could deliver the enchanted training equipment as compared to the king which couldn't see beyond the presentation of the rude magical merchant.
REAL WORLD EXAMPLE:
Sometime last year I was working with many map makers together on building a massive map for AoW:SM. During development a few of the different personalities from across the world clashed. I was able to see beyond the unsavory presentations/personalities and stablized communications preventing content from being deleted off the map because the production of their *ideas* is what's important.
__________________
There can be only one.

Last edited by NTJedi; April 23rd, 2012 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote
  #593  
Old April 23rd, 2012, 08:03 PM

momfreeek momfreeek is offline
Corporal
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 178
Thanks: 1
Thanked 47 Times in 8 Posts
momfreeek is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conquest of Elysium 3 dev log

Quote:
REAL WORLD EXAMPLE:
Sometime last year I was working with many map makers together on building a massive map for AoW:SM. During development a few of the different personalities from across the world clashed. I was able to see beyond the unsavory presentations/personalities and stablized communications preventing content from being deleted off the map because the production of their *ideas* is what's important.
commendable team management but isn't the COE development team just 2 brothers?

- creative tensions amongst a team must be managed.
- criticism is useful and should be heard.
- abusive customers are not to be encouraged.

right?
Reply With Quote
  #594  
Old April 23rd, 2012, 10:16 PM
NTJedi's Avatar

NTJedi NTJedi is offline
General
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: az
Posts: 3,069
Thanks: 41
Thanked 39 Times in 28 Posts
NTJedi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conquest of Elysium 3 dev log

Quote:
Originally Posted by momfreeek View Post
Quote:
REAL WORLD EXAMPLE:
Sometime last year I was working with many map makers together on building a massive map for AoW:SM. During development a few of the different personalities from across the world clashed. I was able to see beyond the unsavory presentations/personalities and stablized communications preventing content from being deleted off the map because the production of their *ideas* is what's important.
commendable team management but isn't the COE development team just 2 brothers?


What's important is the final product... sometimes you need to get your hands dirty to pickup the diamond. If there's a diamond of an idea from a dirt mud customer it's still worth collecting. I might totally despise a specific tailor, mechanic, merchant or "customer", but I'm not communicating with them for social reasons. I'm dealing with them because of the good tailor skills, good mechanical advice or the good idea because it's about the better final product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momfreeek View Post
- creative tensions amongst a team must be managed.
- criticism is useful and should be heard.
- abusive customers are not to be encouraged.

right?
I would also not encourage anyone to place their hands in animal waste, however a diamond("good_idea") should still be collected... even if you get your hands dirty. Taking the good idea and then dealing with abusive, rude or annoying customers can be done separately. A wise king would find a way of getting both accomplished instead of sacrificing one of them.

If desired I can provide you details for such a solution.
__________________
There can be only one.
Reply With Quote
  #595  
Old April 23rd, 2012, 11:00 PM
Gandalf Parker's Avatar

Gandalf Parker Gandalf Parker is offline
Shrapnel Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Vacaville, CA, USA
Posts: 13,736
Thanks: 341
Thanked 479 Times in 326 Posts
Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conquest of Elysium 3 dev log

I keep saying ask nice, and you keep saying that in the real world you shouldnt have to.
I understand what you are saying. Obviously no one is going to be convinced here.
Good luck with your future endeavors.

Last edited by Gandalf Parker; April 23rd, 2012 at 11:21 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #596  
Old April 24th, 2012, 08:48 PM
NTJedi's Avatar

NTJedi NTJedi is offline
General
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: az
Posts: 3,069
Thanks: 41
Thanked 39 Times in 28 Posts
NTJedi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conquest of Elysium 3 dev log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
I keep saying ask nice, and you keep saying that in the real world you shouldnt have to.
I understand what you are saying. Obviously no one is going to be convinced here.
Good luck with your future endeavors.
I agree asking nice helps, but a good idea or a good diamond shouldn't be ignored/rejected based on its presentation.
__________________
There can be only one.
Reply With Quote
  #597  
Old April 25th, 2012, 05:50 AM

momfreeek momfreeek is offline
Corporal
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 178
Thanks: 1
Thanked 47 Times in 8 Posts
momfreeek is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conquest of Elysium 3 dev log

I respect Illwinter enough to think that they probably know what they are doing. If their attitude is "ignore the asshats and have fun" then I'll take that as good advice for hobby game development. I assume its healthy for long term motivation which is more important than any single suggestion.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to momfreeek For This Useful Post:
  #598  
Old April 25th, 2012, 10:20 AM

llamabeast llamabeast is offline
National Security Advisor
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oxford, UK
Posts: 5,921
Thanks: 194
Thanked 855 Times in 291 Posts
llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Conquest of Elysium 3 dev log

Your comments on how people *should* be, NTJedi, may be correct but are irrelevant. Gandalf is saying that if you want your ideas to be heard by Illwinter, you should present them well. He's saying that from having worked closely with them over years and heard their preferences. It's practical advice for dealing with these particular people.

For once I completely agree with Gandalf, which is quite special.

From my own experience with CBM:
- I have been lucky not to deal with much outright negative feedback, for which I am grateful
- Constructive criticism is appreciated and is fine. If it is well written and thoughtful I enjoy reading it.
- Occasionally someone will just say "X sucks" or something, and I ignore them. I can't be bothered to ask why because they show no sign of coherent thinking.
- Similarly poor spelling and grammar decreases the perceived value of a comment. If you can't take enough care to even write what you're trying to say properly, it throws some doubt on whether you've taken the time to think through your point.
- If someone were to "demand" a feature I think I would be very likely to ignore them, unless it was obviously a great idea. It would also be demotivating.
- Purely positive feedback (e.g. "I really love the Open the Seal spell!") is very motivating. However this community is extremely generous and produces plenty of this so we are very lucky.

Rereading the above it looks a bit egotistical. I'm not saying all this because I think you all really care about my emotional reaction to the CBM thread, but rather just as a case study of human reactions to feedback.
__________________
www.llamaserver.net
LlamaServer FAQ
My mod nations: Tomb Kings and Vampire Counts
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to llamabeast For This Useful Post:
  #599  
Old April 25th, 2012, 03:25 PM
samoht's Avatar

samoht samoht is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 220
Thanks: 19
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
samoht is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conquest of Elysium 3 dev log

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTJedi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
I keep saying ask nice, and you keep saying that in the real world you shouldnt have to.
I understand what you are saying. Obviously no one is going to be convinced here.
Good luck with your future endeavors.
I agree asking nice helps, but a good idea or a good diamond shouldn't be ignored/rejected based on its presentation.
You might also be making the mistake of assuming all suggestions are diamonds.

If there is a field of filth with a bunch of rocks in it, and maybe a couple of quarters, I'm not even going to bother. If somebody tells me there is a single diamond out there, somewhere, in that field of dung? Umm... I don't know if I'm that desperate.

A lot of the suggestions presented regarding CoE have been... weak, regardless of their presentation.
Reply With Quote
  #600  
Old April 25th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Gandalf Parker's Avatar

Gandalf Parker Gandalf Parker is offline
Shrapnel Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Vacaville, CA, USA
Posts: 13,736
Thanks: 341
Thanked 479 Times in 326 Posts
Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conquest of Elysium 3 dev log

A lot of the suggestions about CoE you can tell the people havent played the whole game, or tried the different levels. Or even read the manual. Yes its been hard to weed out real suggestions.

On the other hand, its nice to see the devs on a roll again in the new forum. They respond to peoples posts. The updates are coming regularly. Sometimes a players suggestion or bug report is changed on the progress log that same day.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1999 - 2018, Shrapnel Games, Inc. - All Rights Reserved.