.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old November 25th, 2008, 05:14 PM

Sergeant

Nikelaos is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Beware of Ashdod

well if you have some earth access you may be able to strike out the sacreds with some ease mid game, destruction/iron bane to make that heavy armour fall in heaps and then strike em out with heavy hitters(predators lizards, barbarians, anything weilding a lance) boosted with strength of giants.

another thing to think about is raiding, their awesome troops cost a national debt so it makes sense early game, also unrest causing spells on their capital also work as previously stated
Old November 25th, 2008, 05:22 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

I'd like to hear from people that have actually played Hinnom/Ashdod/Gath.

I have stated that I think Hinnom is one of the strong contenders.

I don't find that to be the case with Ashdod - at all. In my most recent case of playing Ashdod, two players collaborated so quickly and got forge of the ancients up, that the game was essentially decided by about turn 30. Ashdod was a nonfactor.

I find ashdod to be hamstrung by the incredible expense of all its units. You will be choosing to build *a* mage or *a* sc chassis. This is one nation that is seriously hamstrung by upkeep costs.

Ashdod has the ability to all of the things that people claim here. And at the same time - it can't. The paucity of units, and the paucity of money - means you have to be much much much more focused on whatever *single* strategy you chose to follow.

No doubt a lot of it is style - but I didn't find them fun - at all.

As an example of the problem- what is the gold cost / research point of its available researchers - compared to other nations?
Old November 25th, 2008, 05:35 PM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road

Sages would be the primary choice: 175 gold for 6 RP, but you don't have to build a lab for them. That makes them quite nice, really.

Talmai are a little more efficient, at 400g+sacred for 9 RP.

Zamzummites are 310g+sacred for, err, 7 rp? But... IMHO they are more about forging, casting and battle mage duties than researching.

Ashdod's research isn't exactly cheap, but it's not excessively weak. And pretty much any of their researchers can be a useful battle mage if you need them to be.
Old November 25th, 2008, 05:41 PM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road

chrispedersen:

No, you don't have to choose. Ashdod mages are either SCs or thugs. They can either cast spells of fight in melee. They don't die of old age, they are immune to remote attacks.

You don't need some insane bless, 2x9 is not necessary, just E9-10 + N6 does a great job. So you have plenty of points to spend on decent scales [you are fine with 5-6 dom and you get 120 points free from heat3],

LA Agartha guide
Old November 25th, 2008, 06:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

Stavis_L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorazon View Post
  • Ridiculously tough PD
    [...]
  • Archers with 16 protection, Range 50 and 17 damage bows
Regarding these, the PD has very low morale, and is quite susceptible to the standard Misfortune 2 barbs/knights in strengths < 35 or so. I would definitely not call it "ridiculously tough." The archers are nice, but *expensive* (especially in resources) and (currently) can't get fire arrows. OK, the fire arrows would be overkill anyway
Old November 25th, 2008, 07:14 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

Ashdod's PD morale is pretty good IMHO. The Edomites are low-morale, but Gileadites have Morale 13 or so. Also, in practice their high HP seems to prevent them from easily routing. In SP, I seldom see a battle lost because of routing that would have been won if the PD had survived, which to me is what makes PD feel like "low morale." (Helheim has this problem, for instance, with PD < 20. Once the serfs are dead the Huskarls run away.) PD 10 will sometimes stand off barbarian attacks or even knight attacks, and PD 20 will often stand off knights and usually stand off barbarians. To me that's about all you can ask for in PD, although I don't concur with DonCorazon's opinion that the PD is "ridiculously tough" either (although *Hinnom*, pre-nerf, did have *ridiculously* tough PD for the price).

With Ashdod as strong as it is, though, I wouldn't object to seeing its PD nerfed a bit. I've previously suggested Edomites + humans, vs. the current Gileadites + Edomites.

Random thought: according to the EA Hinnom text for Qedesot, all Rephaim are male and rely on (Avvite) Qedesot to bear them sons. Ashdod doesn't seem to have any Qedesot left. Where do all the Bashanites, Gileadites, etc., come from? To me this is also part of the thematic justification for removing Rephaite Gileadites from Ashdod PD. Let them be a nation mostly composed of Edomites.

You could nerf Ashdod pretty hard-core by making Zamzummites cap-only. That would make me cry, and avoid Ashdod the way I avoid Helheim now that you can't make Svartalfs. The memory of what once was is tragic.

-Max

P.S. I think CBM makes Ktonian Necromancers cap-only. That also makes me cry. I would likewise object to restricting Sauromancers to the capital. Good recruitable-anywhere battlemages are my primary criteria for selecting a nation.

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]

Last edited by MaxWilson; November 25th, 2008 at 07:23 PM..
Old November 25th, 2008, 08:04 PM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Slightly OT, but Gath PD is nice too. 10 is usually sufficient against barbarians, and at 20 you start getting sacreds.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old November 25th, 2008, 09:00 PM

Private

cthulhu is on a distinguished road

I'm the guy playing Ashdod in the game that DonCorazon was talking about.

IMHO, Ashdod is the most powerful MA nation, and arguably more powerful than even the best EA nations:
1. Sacred capital-only soldiers that are better than any other MA nations sacred soldiers, almost as good as the best of EA. When combined with a good bless, Ashdod sacred soldiers have no major weaknesses, and lots and lots of strengths (strat move 3, very high HP, high attack and defense, 2 attacks each, one of which is magic, very high damage, decent protection, bezerk, fire resistance, MR 15, plus whatever your bless grants).
2. Capital-only recruitable commanders that make better thugs than anything recruitable in MA, almost as good as the best of EA.
3. When fighting EA strong sacred nations (ie Neifelheim) you can sabotage their capital with spells and spies. That can be a bit difficult if they're doing an SC strategy, as their commanders don't need too terribly many resource points, but it can work. Ashdod is less vulnerable to this strategy because in addition to awesome capital-only units Ashdod also has excellent buildable anywhere units, particularly the Zamzummite (all Zamzummites can cast raise skeletons/dead, 62.5% can cast Summon Earthpower and thus all the E3 spells that usually follow that, and 25% can cast either magma eruption or GfH after summon earthpower - and they are sacred, holy-1, and very tough). The Gileadite archers are kinda decent too.
4. Decent PD.
5. Decent national summons. At conjuration 6, the Dirge for the Dead summon makes a decent SC chassis (innate 0 encumbrance sacred etherial undead giant, with excellent combat stats, an extra misc slot, decent starting equipment, etc. The main disadvantage is a small insanity rating). At Conjuration 7, Call Hashmal is a decent way to convert astral gems into a preacher. Call Arel is a good way to get rid of afflictions (which Ashdod desperately needs, since it has lots of thugs and SCs without recuperation), to get an extra holy-3 for divine blessings, and to get access to higher level nature magic. At conjuration 8, Call Ophan is an good (though slightly bizarre) thug (holy-3 flying lifeless etherial protection 20 size 6 trampler) for 49 astral gems. Banquet for the Dead is a higher level variant of Dirge for the Dead, but I don't like it as much as the main unit produced has a higher insanity rating, and extra magic paths that aren't particularly useful on an SC. At conjuration 9, Call Merkavah takes a ridiculous amount of astral gems (222, compared to 100 astral + 20 nature to just wish for the same unit and GoR it), but it is IMHO the best SC chassis in the game, slightly better than even a Seraph, though not as effective at combat magics (it's hard to beat the Seraphs F4A4S4H4). It comes with excellent bodyguards too, maybe even worth the extra cost incurred by casting Call Merkavah instead of Wish.
I consider Ashdod national summons to be overall not quite as good as Bandar Log or Marginon/Pythium/Ermor, but more diverse than those, and significantly better than Tien Chi or any other MA nation.

Note: the forge bonus is not quite as good as it sounds: when you look at the actual forge costs when combined with a dwarven hammer, it has no effect on 5-gem item costs, only a 1 gem difference on 10-gem items, and a 2 gem difference on 15-gem items. Significant, but not like 25% forge bonuses that some nations have access to.

That said, I still expect to lose that game.

If someone wanted to nerf Ashdod, I would recommend starting by reducing the Zamzummites E1 to a 50% chance of E1, raising the base encumbrance on Sheshai Anakites and Ahiman Anakites by 1, and increasing the gluttony by about 50% on each unit plus an extra 100% on the capital-only commanders.

Last edited by cthulhu; November 25th, 2008 at 09:08 PM..
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:39 PM

Corporal

zzcat is on a distinguished road

Zamzummite is arguably best non-caponly commander in the game. Being great battlemage and great self-buffable thug, it's even cheaper than Vanjarl(250 vs 280). IMO it's seriously overpowered.
Old November 26th, 2008, 12:02 AM

Private

cthulhu is on a distinguished road

Zamzummites cost 310 gold, not 250.