BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:39 AM

Sergeant

serg3d is on a distinguished road
Default Troop Quality in preferences

What is default Troop Quality for USSR ?
I'm trying to make Russian campain more challenging, and just increase T-34/KV cost is not working for different reasons.
To increase all units costs is prone to errors.
So I'd like to check lower troop quality for Russians.
If I lower it, will cost of units lower too and AI will get less points ?(not what I want)
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:32 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Troop Quality in preferences

At what date?

If you need these figures, set up a battle and look at the base experience and morale values, which are printed on the main purcase screen, just below the points.

Cheers
Andy
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:12 AM

Sergeant

I checked it, but for campain Troop Quality affect only expirience, moral is not affected and remain 55 (Russia,June 1941). Also, the cost of the unit becaame lower, so it may not actually increase difficalty. I'll try it anyway.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:29 PM

Sergeant

Smersh is on a distinguished road

why don't u select less repair points when creating the campign.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:06 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Smersh said:
why don't u select less repair points when creating the campign.
I do select Hardest levl. But 20% repair points are not affecting the game much. And if your losses are not big their impact is pretty minimal. The problem with russian campain is that russian are too strong. I'll try now base expirience 35:70.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:26 PM

Sergeant

what do you mean their "too strong"?
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:50 PM

Sergeant

They are extremely overpowered if played by human. They roll over German AI so easily, that is no fun to play campain. That probaly because the game balanced to be played mostly as Germans, and Russians as AI.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:53 PM

Sergeant

you didn't answer the question in what way are they overpowered? too high experiance and morale? high stats of units? what do you mean?
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:32 PM

Sergeant

Charles22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
serg3d said:
They are extremely overpowered if played by human. They roll over German AI so easily, that is no fun to play campain. That probaly because the game balanced to be played mostly as Germans, and Russians as AI.
I think what you're trying to say is that the USSR units are way too cheap in comparison to other nations. I was going to tell you that you were going about changing the USSR prices the wrong way around, and that instead you should just lower the amount of points you get in preferences (you can lower them as well as raise permanently you know), however, if you were to do that I don't think it solves your problem altogether, because it also lowers the points for the USSR enemies, therefore still giving them a much larger force.

Yes, I have the same problem somewhat with the USSR, only I think they made them so cheap because they 'wanted' to recreate something of the hordes sort of approach, however the USSR wasn't as large at numbers, as people mythically seem to think and it does make playing them difficult at times.

There is a slight way you can get around it, that is, you can purchase units and do absolutely nothing with them. Artillery not used comes in real handy for that.

I would asusme you're not buying the best that the USSR has to offer, because early in the war they didn't have a ton of T34's or KV's, so you should purchase quite a bit of the flimsy stuff too. I think you may need to do a combination of that and purchasing artillery that you will never use. When there comes a time that they are having a harder go of it, such as when Tigers come out, then you can consider using the artillery again or whatever other sort of unit you're keeping dormant.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:26 PM

Captain

narwan is on a distinguished road

Soviet troops have no extra discount on cost. A units cost is simply determined by its statisitics. This cost is modified by the nations experience and morale. Standard cost (as in the encyclopedia) is listed at experience and morale 70.
So if you start a soviet campaign at a period when the country experience/morale is 55/55 your units will be a lot cheaper. Conversely, if you then play the germans who are at that same time at 75/75 their units will be more expensive. Together the cost difference will be enough to give you significant advantage in numbers if playing the soviet side.
The AI is, IMO, less capable with using expensive high quality troops (which require some finesse to handle well) then it is with cheap low quality troops (the 'horde' tactic). But that's not just the AI; using high quality troops well (as they're likely to be outnumbered) is in my experience more difficult for human players too, especially those new to this game.

One trick you can use tomake your battles more difficult is to increase the size of your core force. This will make the AI get a larger force too. Then set-up the troops you bought as 'extras' along your own map edge. On your first turn move them off-map (into the grey). They will be retreated off map and unavailable to you for the rest of the battle. I haven't tried this myself but in theory it should work.

Narwan