.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEV Modders Knowledge Base

Old October 21st, 2006, 09:07 AM

Captain

Tampa_Gamer is on a distinguished road
Default VehicleUnitTypes.txt Knowledge Base

Like other SE releases, us modders tend to do a lot of independent trial and error as we slowly learn what works and what does not in the way of modding the files. Since I have done some tweaking of this file, I figured I would start a thread for the sole focus of gathering our collective knowledge of problems and solutions on this one data file. Perhaps others will start similar threads for the other data files as they conduct trial and error in their mods. Eventually, I would hope that these threads collectively could be pinned or converted to the wiki.

VehicleUnitTypes.txt: The purpose of this file is to provide and define various abilities to the default (and a new modded new unit types) so that vehicles defined in the "VehicleSizes.txt" can then utilize these types as a base and make them available to the player in the design menu. This is an extremely powerful file (when it is working completely) and will allow us to add missile pods, leaders, SBM, pinnacles, etc.)

Known Issues (as of v1.08):
(1) Although the "Can be retrofitted" ability is listed in the description as an available ability for a unit type. There is currently no UI available in the game to retrofit units in cargo, preventing those from retrofitting. There is no workaround yet, but it has been reported to Aaron many times. [edit - all units affected, not just those in cargo]

(2) The addition of new unit type in this file, requires you to add this unit type as a probable target for the various components. However, there are still some problems in combat with recognition of these units types via the Strategies.txt file. Still looking into this one and trying to do a workaround.

(3) Component enhancements created in the "ComponentEnhancements.txt" file specifically for a new unit type will not recognize the new unit type. This has been reported to Aaron.

(4) While default units have an icon and a system display option for viewing whether a planet or ship has the unit in its cargo (i.e. sats, troops, etc.). New units do not have such a feature so there is currently no way to view whether they are in cargo via an icon. It has been suggested to Aaron that he either put a line in such as "Treat Unit as default type: XXXXX" to allow association with an existing icon, or put a new in a new line such that the icon for all default and new types are chosen in the data file (similar to Components where you choose the pic). Whie the latter change is more powerful for modders in the long run, it would require a change to the System Display options so that it would provide options to show any icons designated in this file.

(5) When designing new components in the "Components.txt" file, you currently cannot use the line "Can Be Placed on Vehicle Types" to limit your components to any new units. This line is currently not working for new units in that I don't think they are recognized. A suggested workaround is to use the Requirements lines limit placement on "Get_Vehicle_Type () = "NEW UNIT NAME" [edit - this not a problem. What the engine apparently does not like is if you use a default unit in a new unit name (i.e. "Garrison Troop" and "Troop") this would result in the component being available to both unit types and was driving me nuts]

That's it for now. Will add more to this thread and others as I come across them. Note - the above is not gospel, if you have not encountered similar problems, lets compare notes to further define the problem or post what is working. Thanks
Old October 21st, 2006, 03:25 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Modding Q/A - File: VehicleUnitTypes.txt

That's odd.
I have Brain, Leg, etc... components, which are limited to Infantry and Militia units in GGmod they've properly showed up only on militia/infantry for a long time now.

Speaking of which:

Add a Militia Unit Type
- Add a militia unit type, with the same properties as a Troop.
- In Settings.txt, change the "Ground Combat Militia Troop Vehicle Type" to militia.
- In VehicleSizes.txt, only copy your tiniest troop size (small troop, or infantry, for example) and make them militia.

OPTIONAL: - You can also add a requirement to your militia hull "NOT Empire_Has_Racial_Trait("Pacifists")" Make yourself a -1000 point racial trait called Pacifists - Races with that trait will not have any militia rise up against enemy troops, although they can still build regular troops.

By doing this, you get much more control over what appears as population spawn during ground combats.
- No more Apocalyse tanks being spawned by planetary population in the late game!
- If you make the militia infantry with appropriately scaled hitpoints and weapons, you can crank their numbers up to get a nice angry mob. I suggest Molotov Cocktail weapon components, with spinning, flaming bottle weapon animation.
Old October 21st, 2006, 04:06 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

Limiting components by vehicle type definitely does work for new types.

"Can be retrofitted" doesn't work even if the units are in space.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old October 21st, 2006, 07:35 PM

Captain

Interesting. Perhaps it is not accepting unit types with a space in them. For my ground combat mod I was creating a "Garrison Troop". Could it be that simple?
Old October 21st, 2006, 07:43 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

Well, I just created Small Craft and Large Craft and they both worked fine.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old October 21st, 2006, 07:46 PM

Captain

Yeah, no that cannot be it. The default "Weapon Platform" works just fine, so it can accept spaces fine.

[EDIT]

I figured it out. What the game engine did not like was that my new unit "Garrison Troop" used the word "Troop" in it. So it was making it available to both types of units even though I was trying to limit it just to "Garrison Troops"

Thanks for the help guys

Old October 22nd, 2006, 07:44 AM

Corporal

Elsemeravin is on a distinguished road

Does someone knows whether it is possible to use formula for these settings:

Space Combat Maximum Speed Per Movement Point := 0.001
Space Combat Turn Rate Base := 0.0008
Space Combat Turn Rate Decrease Per kT := 0.0000005
Space Combat Turn Rate Minimum := 0.0004
Space Combat Acceleration Rate Base := 0.00008
Space Combat Acceleration Rate Decrease Per kT := 0.000000034
Space Combat Acceleration Rate Minimum := 0.00004
Space Combat Deceleration Rate Base := 0.00008
Space Combat Deceleration Rate Decrease Per kT := 0.000000034
Space Combat Deceleration Rate Minimum := 0.00004
Space Combat Banks When Changing Height := TRUE
Ground Combat Maximum Speed Per Movement Point := 0.0
Ground Combat Turn Rate Base := 0.0
Ground Combat Turn Rate Decrease Per kT := 0.0
Ground Combat Turn Rate Minimum := 0.0
Ground Combat Acceleration Rate Base := 0.0
Ground Combat Acceleration Rate Decrease Per kT := 0.0
Ground Combat Acceleration Rate Minimum := 0.0
Ground Combat Deceleration Rate Base := 0.0
Ground Combat Deceleration Rate Decrease Per kT := 0.0
Ground Combat Deceleration Rate Minimum := 0.0
Ground Combat Banks When Changing Height := TRUE

I would like to create component improving the turn rate but it is not written formula...
Old October 22nd, 2006, 12:59 PM

Captain

Kana is on a distinguished road

It is my understanding, if it doesnt have the word formula in the line heading, it can not use a formula...
Old October 22nd, 2006, 01:05 PM

Corporal

Elsemeravin is on a distinguished road

That's what I feared but then how can we improve the turn rate of a ship class. If only by creating newer ship class which cannot be retrofitted in, it's not very usable (at least not very moddable).
Old October 22nd, 2006, 05:08 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

You could make the hull 1kt bigger, and set the "X decrease per kt" to be negative a big number.