BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old April 18th, 2019, 05:39 PM

Private

indianagreg is on a distinguished road
Default Bug? Retreating from bomber attack

Joined 8.5 years ago and this is my first post.... time flies!

I appreciate all the hard work to regularly update this great game.

Anyway, I was playing scenario 21 "Jagdtigers in the West 4/45" and in the first computer turn the French/Allies (computer) executed an aerial attack with several planes. One was flying east toward the German lines and successfully bombed a certain German infantry unit, which retreated a hex eastward only to be successfully bombed again by the same plane, causing it to retreat a further hex eastward only to be successfully bombed again by the same plane. Apart from the curiosity of retreating men able to keep pace with a speeding plane, it doesn't seem likely they would retreat in the direction of the flight--at least not until the plane had flown beyond them.

Wish I had a video to show as it was rather amusing.

If someone has already reported this, my apologies for making an inadequate search of the forum.

Thank you!
Old April 18th, 2019, 07:12 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bug? Retreating from bomber attack

For those opponent pairings, the Germans retreat to the right ( east ) by the shortest route and that just happened to be the way the aircraft was flying. The first bombing set them running for the edge and the successive bomb drops just kept pushing them in that direction

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old April 18th, 2019, 10:41 PM

Private

indianagreg is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. I agree with what you've said, but still there's no way an infantry unit could possibly retreat on foot fast enough for the same plane (flying on a straight course) to bomb them in three different hexes in one turn.

Maybe the question I should have asked is, "Is what I saw what was intended by the designers or is it a bug/unintended result?" I don't personally know what was intended by the designers or what they were trying to depict/resolve in the aerial bombardment of infantry. Perhaps what appears curious to me was by design.

But even if it was by design--again, if it is, then it's fine by me--it's a bit amusing (meaning humorously and not mockingly) to me that while the Germans had a 3% chance of hitting the plane with AA fire, the plane (Allies) had an unknown, but apparently decent chance of hitting this particular infantry unit in three different hexes in single turn. Improbable versus impossible, but impossible wins. (I wish I could replay it because the visual humor to me was priceless. This poor infantry unit retreating with superhuman speed, trying desperately to outrun a plane only to get bombed again and again.) But, (seriously) if it was reasonable according to what was intended for casualty results, and only odd in how it was visually portrayed, then it's fine with me.

IMHO, visually, if there was to be a retreat it would have been after the plane had passed; not because the infantry chose to wait, but simply because the plane would have been gone before they could pick themselves up off the ground to retreat.

In any event, this is not something you're going to encounter every day in this game.
Old April 19th, 2019, 03:24 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Retreat is a reaction to fire - there is no limit based on say remaining move allowance. The game has always been that way from the start.

If you shoot it 100 times in a turn and its reaction is to retreat from fire (which does not require a casualty, just a "hit" result) - it could cover the entire map. Extremely unlikely, but in theory it could do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old April 19th, 2019, 07:57 AM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

The only 'reality' argument I can throw in and this was with regards to modern warfare, I was a driver in an M1A1 tank, and our morale, experience and training prepared us for combat with infantry, artillery, mechanized infantry (BMP's, etc.) and other tanks and even to some extent (maybe due to inexperience) how to deal with helicopters (Hind-Ds, we were trained to shoot our 50 cals at them), and on the field of battle the two things we as tankers feared the most were ATGMs and Jets, we absolutely hated jets. We had no defense against them (other to rely and pray that the AAA that was supposed to support us did their job).

On Reforger one time we were attacked by infantry, mock bmp's and T-72s, artillery and helo's, no problem, but when the jets started bombing us our whole tank company panicked and was driving like madmen trying to get into the forest and escape the death of jets, it was crazy, we lost all military bearing at that point.

In real war, artillery is more pronounced, meaning you can't really train for it, when the real deal comes down. Most especially if it's not your own. Thank the good Lord that all the Arty anre air power that I saw was from our side hitting the bad guys. It was scary as hell in one firefight one night where we had our own choppers supporting us and they were 15 to 25 feet above our turrets, I can tell you the pucker factor is very high, and the whole tank company did not fancy movement away from under the umbrella of those choppers for fear they would also hit us.

Crank the clock back 40-50 years and I am sure the same can be said for those folks back then. Maybe not as intense without the precision stuff, I don't know for sure.