.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old November 30th, 2006, 08:49 AM

Major

Teraswaerto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nation mod: Marignon Reborn

Not in yet huh? Serves me right for not paying attention.

According to the mod manual, #researchlevel 32 is supposed to assign the spell to nation number 32, though maybe I'm reading it wrong.
Old November 30th, 2006, 09:22 AM

Second Lieutenant

Jack_Trowell is on a distinguished road

While I like the general concept of your mod, I must also say that it annoy me to see marignon with an undead theme (or almost undead) : In dom2 (less in dom3), there was a concept behind marignon that was : "anything to keep undeath at bay", or in other words : "Ermor : not with us". This is what gave birth first to the inquisition, and later to the blood cult (using blood to fight one evil magic with another). In dom3 the notion of blood magic as a way to fight undeads is no more present, what a pity.

With this idea, marignon is a nation that can fall to be the worst, but there should be one thing that they never do : let the undeads rise, *even if it means to let something worse happen*.

I would like the concept more if it was a mod for Ulm (in fact it would do well with the malediction), or if it wasn't about undeads but instead strange experimentations (something more like blood magic, such as special cross-breeding to create superior/immortal soldiers in order to fight undeads)
Dominions Map validator and randomizer : http://dominions.realites.org
Dominions Map editor v0.75b : http://dominions.realites.org/map_editor
Old November 30th, 2006, 09:32 AM

Major

The inquisition is evil, and to move from one kind of evil to another is not that great a leap. I try to explain the concept in the mod description (and in the first post of this thread). The abyss gazes also, etc.

I'm currently thinking I'll change things a bit though, by removing undead tags from all true Twiceborn, so only the Shunned One's would be undead. It would be nice to be able to mod your own tags, but that's not possible now (if ever).
Old December 1st, 2006, 11:44 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

Jack Trowell and I see eye to eye on this one. I totally agree about immortal, probably mindless, supersoldiers in there. If it can be balanced out, pitting a handful of stunningly expensive immortal units against the unending legions of dead ala Ermor could be really interesting. In the end, it would come down to who could spread dominion more efficiently, while in the background enormous battles would be going on. My initial thought is that the "supersoldiers" could be some kind of Formless (obviously, I'm referencing X-files a bit here), the hideous experiments of Marignon actually causing their victims to transcend physical structure and become something along the lines of Gibbering Mouthers.

Naturally, immortal units would be hard to balance out, but I think it could be done.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 03:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

Jack_Trowell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Shovah32 said:
The one problem there is that he would need a price boost to the already expensive troops since they would no longer be banishable.
Solution : make them half demons instead of half undeads, and link the concep to blood magic experiments to create almost immortal warriors by infusing them with the soul of demons of something like that.

It would preserve the banishment, and keep better the style of marignon.
Dominions Map validator and randomizer : http://dominions.realites.org
Dominions Map editor v0.75b : http://dominions.realites.org/map_editor
Old December 3rd, 2006, 03:48 AM

General

Demon tag would be nice, but I'm not clear as to whether demons = undead in the Dom3 universe, as in per roleplaying/background/"how the man on the street feels about it." because Marignon's no undeads allowed policy might apply. Otherwise it's an excellent idea. I'm all for deliciously creepy demon vastnesses. Ok, so there might not be any demon vastnesses in Marignon Reborn, I'm still for them!
Old December 9th, 2006, 06:22 AM

Major

Default Update, version 1.2

*Only Shunned Ones are undead.
*Twiceborn Warriors have fear
*The Word Made Flesh have higher regen and more fear
*Magic resistance lowered for most
*Shunned one gold cost lowered
*Other small changes I can't remember

Quote:
HoneyBadger said:My initial thought is that the "supersoldiers" could be some kind of Formless (obviously, I'm referencing X-files a bit here), the hideous experiments of Marignon actually causing their victims to transcend physical structure and become something along the lines of Gibbering Mouthers.

The Word Made Flesh are something like this, though they are not immortal.

...transcend physical structure...

The sorcerous energies that animate the Twiceborn aspirant are no longer bound by his physical form, but instead shape the flesh in which they reside to nightmarish forms: the temple of the soul becomes a cathedral of terror to match the deranged being dwelling inside its bleeding walls.
Old December 9th, 2006, 07:59 PM

General

Default Re: Update, version 1.2

niiice

Thanks for taking our suggestions into consideration. I'm glad you got some benefit from them and I hope they added to, rather than detracted from, your enjoyment of and sense of accomplishment from making this Mod.
Old January 17th, 2007, 07:51 AM

Major

Default Update, version 1.3

Update 1.3:

Graphics for all leaders
Crimson Cardinals have fear

Coming next, national spells!
Old January 17th, 2007, 07:00 PM

General

Default Re: Update, version 1.3

Teraswaerto, I've kind of changed my mind about the undead issue with your mod, after playing with it for several weeks. I think maybe only The Word Made Flesh should be exempt from undead status, and that the other units should be re-evaluated, and possibly given undead or demon status as befits their description.

The Word Made Flesh could very well be a demon, for that matter. It certainly has a demonic "Clive Barker's Hell-raiser" feel to it.

In the beginning, before I played with this mod for a long period of time, I think I made a somewhat hasty judgement. It really does play distinctly different from LA Ermor and-as long as it isn't overdone with undead-works perfectly well alongside Ermor.

I'm hoping you'll consider expanding on the "Hell-raiser" theme in your national summons.

By the way, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to develope a ghoul nation.