.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old June 27th, 2005, 03:17 PM

Private

Paddington is on a distinguished road
Default Durango Valley: OPFOR Russia

Hi,

I`m pretty new to the game. I`ve played spwaw for years but this seems to be a whole different game.

I`m playing the harder version, with the russians having better armor on their tanks.

I`m used to fighting at short ranges, in wooden areas, low visibility, smoke screens, you name it. But what now? The map is a plain desert with a few hills.

I`ve got a few questions.

1. What`s the deal with the t80s? I thought the abrams was one of the best mbts in the world. And you know the russians, they dont have a chance with their old crapy armor... I was amazed that the t80s were a lot better than my abrams. They can use a defense system against missiles (my abrams cant). They can launch some sort of missiles (I cant). And they seem able to take a lot of hits while my abrams get destroyed after a short shooting. Im fighting at 2500-3000m.

What should I do? What should my formation be like, the russians are comming from two sides.

2. Can I block their wiev with anything? I tried smoke but modern tanks seem to have the ability to see trough smoke, heatsensors?

3. What kind of ranges should I try to fight from?
Old June 27th, 2005, 03:55 PM

Captain

PlasmaKrab is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Durango Valley: OPFOR Russia

Welcome in the T-80 victims club!

We had a looong discussion on the Yahoo list about monkey models in Syria and Iraq, and how the Abrams should be invulnerable to nearly everyone, etc.

After much seeking of hard data, conclusion came up that the Soviet tanks from T-72A onwards were much better armored than many thought. Basically the game ratings which have been duly desearched, are as close to reality as gameplay allows.

I know this seems shocking after the last 15 years of Abrams report, but I also have spotted that last time i set up a 1985 US vs USSR battle, came up with one Abrams IP Squadron in defence against one squadron of T-80B/T-72M1. Got four of my tanks blown up first turn at 3km, had 30% hit chance, spent ages mainly driving them off until they turned their backs and I could stick'em one through the motor grating!

If you look at serious figures, you will see that almost every modern MBT is invulnerable to its own shots at long ranges on the front armor, as opposed to previous generation tanks (M48, M60, T55, Leopard1) which had much better chances of blowing one another up first hit.

And well, whose fault if the US army didn't invest in gun-fired ATGMs or active countermeasures?

Your best bet is: dig in atgm teams all over to surprise them, go for SP tank hunters and helos. Many attack helos, used with caution (skim the edges of the map, pop up at high altitude every once in a while if there is not too much AAD).
When you have no choice, like in this scenario, rush for the best positions (now you know them ), lay your tanks hill-top, and try to avoid cross-fires that will have enemy tanks on one side shoot your own other side tanks in the back.
Otherwise it's all luck

If that reassures you, it goes same deal against the Chinese, they have Type-85 III, with 125mm with DU, plus TI, and tey beat the hell out of my Abrams too!

So good luck for next time!
Old June 28th, 2005, 04:38 PM

Corporal

Shadowcougar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Durango Valley: OPFOR Russia

I have always used the M1 as a shoot and scoot AFV. I have started playing with 1/285th scale WWII afv's and so I look to take side shots. I also use the MLRS and 155's to slow down and destroy the enemy tanks. I also like to use inf to destroy the T-80's. That close in anti missile defense isn't ant good vs a inf squad hidden in a wood or stream.