The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old September 23rd, 2017, 02:20 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Default Syrian Army T-72 Destroys al-Qaeda T-90 in northern Hama Governorate, Syria

According to military sources, the jihadist T-90 was engaged by a Syrian Army T-72 near Ma’an. In the ensuing tank battle, the Syrian Army T-72 landed a armor-piercing sabot round to the left side of the T-90, effecting a penetration and causing the tank’s ammunition to cook off.

Source: (Illingworth, Andrew, https://mobile.almasdarnews.com/arti...72-north-hama/)

Additional comments here from UK's Channel 4: http://boards.4chan.org/k/thread/35224465/t90-rekt.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jt.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	14924  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shahadi For This Useful Post:
Old September 24th, 2017, 07:10 AM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Syrian Army T-72 Destroys al-Qaeda T-90 in northern Hama Governorate, Syria

Well the verdict from that is that modern MBTs are vulnerable to older tanks that manage to hit them from the sides or rear.

Nothing we don't know already.

Kudos to the T72 crew for outmaneuvering their on paper more formidable opponent, though I would surprised if AQ had competent tankers in the first place.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aeraaa For This Useful Post:
Old September 24th, 2017, 08:33 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Syrian Army T-72 Destroys al-Qaeda T-90 in northern Hama Governorate, Syria

Russia and Israel are most alarmed by this report in my opinion, with the IDF having the most concern.

In Syria and Iraq, we have witnessed the Syrians, Hezbollah, Iran, and Palestinian factions gain six years of combat experience. Whislt, the IDF has nearly a generation of senior NCOs and battalion level commanders with little combat experience apart from Operation Cast Lead and the Second Lebanon War.

Clearly, not matching the sustained fighting experience of her adversaries.

Old September 25th, 2017, 02:04 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Syrian Army T-72 Destroys al-Qaeda T-90 in northern Hama Governorate, Syria

On a similar vein & surprising just how bad some military training is had a conversation with a hairdresser today, ex T-55 commander in Iraq.
Appears the way they crewed them was simple, firstly they found someone that could drive it then they assigned other crew men to it so he went from commanding a squad to commanding a tank.
Once it was obvious the coalition was serious they got told to drive to a range & fire 3 shells as practice. No instruction was given & these were the only 3 shots they ever fired.
Became pretty obvious that unless someone parked directly in front of them they could not hit them so as commander he suggested run & 2 days later they had all fled the country.
Old October 4th, 2017, 03:49 PM

Captain

RecruitMonty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
On a similar vein & surprising just how bad some military training is had a conversation with a hairdresser today, ex T-55 commander in Iraq.
Appears the way they crewed them was simple, firstly they found someone that could drive it then they assigned other crew men to it so he went from commanding a squad to commanding a tank.
Once it was obvious the coalition was serious they got told to drive to a range & fire 3 shells as practice. No instruction was given & these were the only 3 shots they ever fired.
Became pretty obvious that unless someone parked directly in front of them they could not hit them so as commander he suggested run & 2 days later they had all fled the country.
I bet I'm the only one who finds that incredibly amusing.
Old October 7th, 2017, 10:51 AM

Sergeant

EJ is on a distinguished road

Hilarious....lol!
Old October 7th, 2017, 01:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecruitMonty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
I bet I'm the only one who finds that incredibly amusing.
Well it is an amusing story, but I've heard so many stories like that regarding Saddam's army (at least the regular army, Republican guard were slightly better) that I'm not surprised anymore.
Old October 7th, 2017, 06:25 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

I remember most of the conscripts we captured in 1991 had AKs so old and used (presumably the AKs were vets of the Iran/Iraq war) they were literally smoothbores. Also maintenance wasn't much of a priority, tho they generally managed to keep the sand out of them I don't recall that any were lubed.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old October 7th, 2017, 07:28 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

well........if you lube it that only attracts sand........

In line with old weapons this photo says a lot..."well used" comes to mind

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0-PF6UcaqAVKa3Ggzn.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	14931  

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....