.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old October 14th, 2007, 01:54 PM

Private

DeadInTrench is on a distinguished road
Default Problem with Scenarios

Uh.... I would doubt this hasn't come up before but... I want to propose a solution.

The problem.... over 350 scenarios in winSPWW2 and... hard to find one you are particularly interested in. Kinda like looking for a needle in a haystack.

The solution I propose.... is that there are files in the scenarios directory.... that lists the secenarios for each campaign in chronological order. Then, when you initially bring up the scenarios list, you get an option 'All Scenarios' which would bring up what you get now, if you select it.... but then after that on the initial list you would get the various theatres (e.g. Western Front, Southern Front, Eastern Front and Far East are the theatres we are looking at as I see it).... and then if you select one of these.... you get the campaigns for that particular theatre.... and then if you select one of the campaigns.... you get the secenarios for that campaign listed in chronological order.

In other words.... if you wanted to play a scenario on the German invasion of Norway..... you initialy would be able to select 'Western Front'... and then the list of campaigns for the Western Front would come up and then you would select 'German Invasion of Norway' (or simply 'Norway') and you would then get ALL the scenarios of the German invasion of Norway listed in chronological order... with a nice little 'German Invasion of Norway' at the top.

IMO... you would just be looking at a couple of hours of programing here.... with maybe a day or two of testing and putting together the theatre and campaign files... but IMO the improvement would be IMMENSE as far as playing the scenarios.

Comments?

Thanks,

DiT
Old October 14th, 2007, 02:06 PM

Private

Default Re: Problem with Scenarios

Oh... what I should say here is... lacking this.... I have divied up all the winSPWW2 scenarios into separate folders for each campaign... and so if I want to play a scenario on the German invasion of Norway.... I just rename the Norway folder to 'scenarios' and then bring up winSPWW2. Uh, yeah, I keep the original scenario folder structure in 'Scenarios0' in the event there is another upgrade in which case I will rename this to scenarios and then run the upgrade <g>.

What I have now.... for campaigns... for those that might be interested (each in it's own folder) is...

Western Front:
Spanish Civil War
Invasion of Poland
Invasion of Norway
Low Countries '40
France '40
British vs Germans
US vs Germans
Canadian/Free French vs Germans
Operation Market Garden

Southern Front:
Balkans
Africa/Middle East
DAK
Italy

Far East:
Japan vs various
Japan vs US

I have the Eastern Front all in separate folders right now (e.g. Russia '41) but.... think I will separate Finland and the German allies out so.... still need to finalize that.

So, as things stand now.... 15 campaigns... with maybe 5-8 for the Eastern Front.... but at least things are managable for me now... instead of looking for the needle in a haystack.

DiT
Old October 14th, 2007, 02:35 PM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road

You could always do a search here for scenario's that may interest you;

WinSPWW2 Scenario/Campaign List

It's only a draft so far but its a start.
Old October 14th, 2007, 06:34 PM

Private

Double_Deuce....

I appreciate the input and fast response but... maybe what I should have mentioned in my original post is that... within each campaign folder.... I put in a title as scenario 000 and blank space as 001 and then have the scenarios renumbered to be in chronological order starting at 002.

So, when I bring up the game... I get the header and then all the scenarios listed there in chronological order, all fit on the first page (for the US Far East scenarios), and it makes it much easier to see the possibilities than looking at a list.

Really... might not have considered the Phillipine scenario because it was such a debacle but this scenario is long before Bataan and is a small meeting engagement and thus a good scenario to get a feel for the Americans vs the Japanese.

Took a look at the two Guadalcanal scenerios and they both look interesting.... though... a lot different from Germans in Poland <g>.

Then there is Tarawa... the 4th scenario... and sheesh.... you gotta wade across maybe 20 hexes of water with your Marines, taking fire the whole time, and you are gonna
take it on the chin in no uncertain terms.. which is what happenned historically.

I have also done this with MBT... and have the French Indo-China and VietNam scenarios in their own folder.. and doing things this way... makes it much easier to get into the scenarios for these campaigns than it would be looking at a list.

Also, the design I proposed (I am a programmer/engineer) would allow for easy updates in the event of new releases or even user developed scenarios.

Would upload what I have done for others except... it is adjusted Camo product and don't know if they would want that. Also... would be better if they did something along the lines of what I proposed so everyone would have it.

Whatever,

DiT

P.S. As you are probably aware... in the original SP... they allowed you to switch between Europe and Far East scenarios... but my proposal would be a step up from this, particularly in view of the over 350 scenarios that come with winSPWW2 (and, it SHOULD be pretty easy to implement, just a matter of whether they want to do it or not <g>).
Old October 29th, 2007, 06:16 PM

Private

Just wanna say here that, I posted this suggestion here on 10/14, and then my copy of The Operational Art of War 3 came in the mail last week, and I applied the patch they put out on 9/21 and, gee wiz... talk about fast response to a suggestion!!!

Well, no, they made that change before I had suggested it here for winSPWW2/MBT <g>.

But, the point is, uh, this is just the way ya gotta go with games that have a TON of scenarios (e.g break things up by war, era or campaign). TOAW3 does it with a windows directory pop-up, and you can just select the folder that you want, but there are other ways to do the same thing.

Been playing the old game Wargame Construction Kit 3: Age of Rifles, a bit lately and there's ANOTHER game that could sure use all the scenarios broken up by campaign, if that one is ever updated and released again.

Whatever.... it is just a suggestion.

DiT