.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 26th, 2007, 01:01 AM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ashanti

Nope, I came up with them as I wrote up the provinces.

I think one could safely create a mod which deals specifically with site addition. A good one of the type would be very welcome, I'm sure.

I will have to sit down and think specifically about provinces which could be added without any new sites, but right now, I'm too tired to limit myself to what's known, since I don't know every site currently in the game.
Old January 26th, 2007, 01:42 AM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road
Default Ok, here\'s one that\'s ready to go.

Name: Thing Woods
Required terrain: forest
Commander type: Carrion Dragon armed with wraithcrown, ring of regeneration, amulet of antimagicx1
Commander type: Undead Pan armed with vine bow, medallion of vengeancex24
Bodyguard type: witchx4
Unit type: 12 darkvines
Unit type: 18 mandragoras
Unit type: 36 vine ogres
Unit type: 260 vine men

Witch's Bog
Whispering Woods
The Mammoth Forest
Old January 26th, 2007, 06:10 AM

Second Lieutenant

Jack_Trowell is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anvil of Daylight

Quote:
HoneyBadger said:
I guess I'll give it a try...

Name: Caldera
Required terrain: volcano

There's no "volcano" terrain type in dominions.

Existing terrain typesn as shown in the dom3 official map editor are :

"small"
"large"
"sea"
"somewater"
"mountain"
"swamp"
"waste"
"forest"
"farm"
"nostart"
"manysites"
"deep"
"cave"
"edgemount"
There's also those "hidden" terrain types :

"firesite"
"airsite"
"watersite"
"earthsite"
"astralsite"
"deathsite"
"naturesite"
"bloodsite"
"priestsite"

Their exact effect is not fully known, but it is supposed that they increase the chance of a magic site of the corresponding nature (the same way a forest increase the chance of a nature site for exemple)

Note that those types are already used by the random map generator : when you see a province with a small icon that doesn't match the usual terrain types, its's because the province has been set with one of thos 'hidden' types.

For exemple, sometimes you get a province with the type 'firesite', and the random map generator draw on the province ... a volcano

So we say that this province will require the terrain type "firesite" ?

Maybe both "firesite" and "mountain" ?

Quote:

Commander type: Lord of the Forge with Dwarven Hammer, Rod of the Phoenix, Black Steel Plate, Amulet of Anti-magic x1
Woaow such a big guy ...
(do you want him with increased magic too, or just the base F1E1 ?)

Quote:
Bodyguard type: Cyclops with Black Steel Helm, Black Steel Armour, Black Steel Tower Shield, Piercer X4.
Bodyguard type: Iron Dragon x4
Bodyguard type: Golem with Eye of Aiming, Bow of War, Amulet of Protection Against Missles X

<cough> ... only commanders can be equipped with magic items, units set as bodyguards/units have no custom slot and came with the standard equipment.

But of course there might be several commanders in the province.

Do you want for exemple you Golem to be added as a commander ?

Quote:
Unit type: 16 fire elementals
Unit type: 16 earth elementals
Unit type: 16 air elementals
Unit type: 16 water elementals
Unit type: 16 devils
Unit type: 80 magma children
Unit type: 160 imps

Water and air elementals ? I would think that such a province would only have fire and earth unit.

Whatever, that's a lots of units, so the province will be very hard to take, even late game. For such a province, a fixed fire-4 site would probably be a great idea.

Quote:
Give Item: Hellsword

There's not way to have a *province* give an item when you take it. However, when you kill a commander with magic items, and win the battle, there's a chance that your commanders (if they have the corresponding slots free) will get some of those items (the greater the item (in teme of construction research level), the higher the chance)

So currently if you kill the Forge lord and take the province in the same battle, you have a chance to get parts of his equipment.

If you want a chance to get a hellsword, just equipe one commander with it.

Quote:
Anvil of Daylight-plus25% forging bonus, increases Heat and Growth in province.
Eye of Rhuax-increases heat in province, produces 1 fire gem per turn, fire mage: enter to recruit magma children
Devil's Chimney-increases heat, turmoil in province, produces 1 fire gem per turn. blood mage: enter to recruit imps

I suppose those are 'custom' magic sites ?

From what I know, forge bonus can be modded on an item but not on a magic site.

Moreover, while it is possible to mod magic sites and then use them, it would meant that the province would require a separate mod else those sites wouldn't be available.

You should instead chose existing sites , see http://www.dom3minions.com/docs/sites.txt for the list.

If you have question about what is possible or not I will be glad to answer.
Dominions Map validator and randomizer : http://dominions.realites.org
Dominions Map editor v0.75b : http://dominions.realites.org/map_editor
Old January 26th, 2007, 06:20 AM

Second Lieutenant

Default Re: Ok, here\'s one that\'s ready to go.

Quote:
HoneyBadger said:
Name: Thing Woods
Required terrain: forest
Commander type: Carrion Dragon armed with wraithcrown, ring of regeneration, amulet of antimagicx1
Quote:
Commander type: Treelord x3 armed with thistle mace, hydra armor, vine shield, ring of regeneration, amulet of reinvigoration, marble boots, horned helmet

Two problems here :

- treelords are unique summons. If I put all 3 of them in this province, they won't be available for summoning. Maybe make it only one treelord, so 2 are stil available ?
- treelords have only misc slots, so no weapon, no shield, no armor, no helmet, and no boots.

Or maybe you were thinkin of some other unit ? One that is of humanoid form and is not unique ? (vine king maybe)

Quote:
Bodyguard type: Undead Pan armed with vine bow, medallion of vengeancex24
No items on bodyguards.

Maybe this undead pan as a commander ?

Quote:
Bodyguard type: witchx12
From the map manual, the #bodyguards command is supposed to be limited to 5 units, si I don't know if setting more will works or not.

Has somebody here already tried that ?

Quote:
Unit type: 12 darkvines
Unit type: 18 mandragoras
Unit type: 36 vine ogres
Unit type: 260 vine men

sites: I think Forest Primeval is in the game, and it should be combined with the site that allows the recruitment of witches (or something nastier if it feels right for Thing Woods-ideally a site that allows recruitment of Vine Ogres, or better yet, Dark Vines) and a site that produces 1 death gem per turn.

If I could, I'd make it have a site that would allow a nature/death mage to enter and summon undead Pans, but since I don't think that's possible, any good Nature sites would work here, so put whatever you'd like.

Like everybody else, I'm waiting and hoping for the sites database to be complete soon. I think Edi's working on it, along with others.

Yes, it's one of the reasons why I asked for help, I don't have enough time to both code the new features and search for provinces ideas.

It means too that I need the exact magic sites names, as I don't have the time to check it.

use the list at http://www.dom3minions.com/docs/sites.txt , or just play the game and when you see an interesting site, note its name and description to create a province around it.
Old January 26th, 2007, 08:30 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

HoneyBadger's provinces seem _extremely_ tough. Presumably in general the idea is that we design provinces with a similar difficulty to the current independents, just a bit more interesting? The odd difficult-but-valuable province would be cool, but having too many of them would make for a very different game I think.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old January 26th, 2007, 08:30 AM

Second Lieutenant

Sandman is on a distinguished road

More:

Landname : Great Linton
Required terrains : Farmland, large
Units: Various Hoburgs, small numbers of Daoine Sidhe, a handful of Wooden Constructs.
Commanders : Various Hoburg commanders and mages, a Sidhe Lord, a wide variety of low level nature items.
Sites: White Man Hill

Landname : Trinabago
Required terrains : Mountains, Forest, Coastal
Units: Mercenary Crossbows, lots of Pirates
Commanders : Pirate captains, an Inquisitor with an air shield item, a Kokythiai with a water ring.
Sites: Increased chance of water sites.
Old January 26th, 2007, 08:45 AM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
llamabeast said:
HoneyBadger's provinces seem _extremely_ tough. Presumably in general the idea is that we design provinces with a similar difficulty to the current independents, just a bit more interesting? The odd difficult-but-valuable province would be cool, but having too many of them would make for a very different game I think.
As you say, having a few provinces that are really difficult to conquer, but with good rewards (such as a rare level 3/4 site), is cool.

We'll just have to make sure that the special provinces list is not overloaded with those.
Old January 26th, 2007, 02:27 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Please dont add mod things.

Possibly a new category for difficulty can be added to the files. I have some that would be a major challenge, and even a real problem to the game if you DONT attack them. On the other hand Id like to see many that would be rated zero but just add flavor to the game (farmlands with names and benefits of farmlands, swamps, wastes, just added flavor).

Volcano isnt a recognized item on one program but it is on another. Basically its "mountain surrounded by not-mountains". There is also some recognition in some of them for lake "water surrounded by land" and for island "land surrounded by lake". I think that one recognizes penninsula, seacoast, lost (no connections) and mega-province (more than 6 connections). The "cave" is worked in abit as a province that has only way into it and its surrounded by mountains so it looks on the map like its a short entry into a mountain range.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 26th, 2007, 02:51 PM

BANNED USER

Cor is on a distinguished road

I am not yet ready to spend the time to learn how to mod provinces, maybe soon. However I will throw my ideas out and see if anyone wants to do the actual work.

Provinces are like nations. So what about a nation that was like Switzerland in WWII? Every citizen is expected to take up arms against attack. I would use 2000 thralls to represent peasants and after you conqure it the population would be very small, in the hundreds. I could have magic sites that produce gold , gold mine etc.
Old January 26th, 2007, 03:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Please dont add mod things.
Don't worry, I don't plan , at least initially.

And even if later i add some, I will always keep available a no-mod version/option

Quote:
Possibly a new category for difficulty can be added to the files. I have some that would be a major challenge, and even a real problem to the game if you DONT attack them.

Hum, maybe something like the rarity of features : 1-2 being commun, and 3-4 being rare.

Provinces of level 1 would be flavor ones, level 2 would be for province with one or two minor features, and an average defence, 3 for hard provinces with a potential good reward (site that allow to recruit some unit (except for the more powerful ones), minor sites with bonus to magic, or maybe good gem income), and 4 would be for the most massive defence (with hoppefully at least one great site, probably unique, or several making the province a good one to capture)

Quote:
On the other hand Id like to see many that would be rated zero but just add flavor to the game (farmlands with names and benefits of farmlands, swamps, wastes, just added flavor).

Volcano isnt a recognized item on one program but it is on another. Basically its "mountain surrounded by not-mountains". There is also some recognition in some of them for lake "water surrounded by land" and for island "land surrounded by lake". I think that one recognizes penninsula, seacoast, lost (no connections) and mega-province (more than 6 connections). The "cave" is worked in abit as a province that has only way into it and its surrounded by mountains so it looks on the map like its a short entry into a mountain range.
As for "volcano", I remind that the random map generator add a volcano to provinces with the special type "firesite", so we could use "firesite" as a prerequired terrain type for such province (or maybe "firesite" + "mountain")

And I already have the number of land and sea province for each province, so I could use "lake", "peninsula", "island", "last/hidden" and mega province without problem.

I didn't get the number of mountain neighbours, seems like maybe too much for now, but it could be added easily if the need is really there.

About caves, I remind that cave provinces have already been added to the game.