.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Closed Thread

Old October 14th, 2007, 07:09 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road
Default city based map, SP or MP

I'm (trying) to make a city based map.. it'll mean adjusting A LOT of things.. basucly naming and changing stuff for most if not all the provinces..

the angle will be that you are starting a gang and tryign to take over the city. I might create other playable races as opposition but I will definately create a few already based in the city (law, church, king)

This map WOULD most easily be created for a RP like SP game.

My first question: is there a "market" for a 100-150 province (neaer all land) SP game or would a MP map (with the same premade enemies be MUCH more wanted (ít'd be a pain in the *** to make a somewhat balanced map for it with even 3-4 players but I might be able to do it if that is REALLY that much more wanted)

Let me know please
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old October 14th, 2007, 08:26 PM

Sergeant

Zylithan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: city based map, SP or MP

sounds like a lot of work, but I'd play it, either version.
Old October 14th, 2007, 10:26 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road
Default Interesting concept.

Sewers?
Old October 15th, 2007, 01:47 AM

First Lieutenant

jutetrea is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Interesting concept.

Random thoughts:
Pick a good ring-type city, Neverwinter maybe? can't remember, split into 4 quads (or larger, depending on how big the map is and how large you want to slice it). I think ballbarian or someone made a ringworm map (91 provinces)that was a similar idea.

Have the center be either a single province or a small group of provinces with something fun (high resources/income/gems, recruitables (maybe the royal army), a castle - palace. Possibly VP and play cumulative VP.

If possible (and I'm not sure it is) mod out forts or make them prohibitively expensive.

probably mod out teleport spells, or at least the common/easy ones.

Say 2-3 players per "slice" (if 3, the point player will be at a slight disadvantage with more fronts, so reward them somehow).

Have 2 entrances per wall, and a main gate at the point, so 5 points of entry per slice.

Create 5-10 pop types (is this even possible?) for independents. Generic could be thieves, mages warriors, etc or nobles/upper class, lower class/peasants, middle class/tradesment, military/royal guard, underworld/thieves, religion/priests etc.

Create 4-8 "Races/Nations" Gang 1, gang 2, etc relatively similar with 1 or 2 unique abilities/commanders. Pretty much start with an even playing field. Or go nuts and have them be completely unique - "Necromancers have infiltrated the city and try to take it over during the time of strife" or have it be 8 nobles fighting for the crown a la Song of Ice and Fire, 8 vying temples/religions a la dominions

Could also do a sewer like Taqwus mentioned, have a couple provinces per "slice" (or even really, really tiny provinces as sewer entrances) that neighbor to a sideboard cutout. Could either be started empty, with "monsters" or as the starting loc for thieves/necro/underground races.

Be kind of neat to have a 4-8 player map where everyone started out with similar nations. Give them all specific pretenders, or a small list, and drastic restrictions on pretender creation.

Something like the 8 nobles fighting for the crown idea - troops are going to be relatively similar, nobles will be relatively similar, and each might have a unique feature and unique path.
Everyone can build
Units
Knight
Swordsman
Pikeman
Xbow
Longbow
Peasant
Commanders
Scout
Ranged
Melee
Magic
Priest - 2H
mage/priest combo
And either a unique unit or ability for all units. Possibly limit max magic level to 2 to simplify the game.

If that turns out to be boring, can always edit units after.

Like i said, real random
Old October 15th, 2007, 03:15 PM

Lieutenant General

hmmm the largest problems is not thinking of a map division (yours would certainly work) but having a actual map for it.

I'm not graphic art genius, I work with what I have --> with what I can steal of the net. I'm currently working with a 13th century london map.. in no way looks like you describe

I myself thought about the sewers, did things like that on my other map (the multi layer one somewhere in here, actually still work in progress) but I can't fit it in.

I'll try to make something a bit playable and then I'll let pplz play it a bit to balance it
Old October 17th, 2007, 06:02 PM

Lieutenant General

any one interested please help solve this problem and the map and mod are done (except maybe cosmetic and future balance changes)

I have a very specific map I'm working on and I cannot find what I want to do in the help file could you help me?

1. I have a map.. that isn't the problem
2. I want the game to ALWAYS have AT LEAST 4 player
3. 3 of those players should ALWAYS be the same (slightly modded (only name and specific start location and a specific god) and ALWAYS computer controlled
4. any additional players (human or comp) should just get a random location on the map and play as normal
5. There should NOT be any water races (since there are no water start sites

how do to this?

I have totally no idea for point 2-4
for point 5 I COULD use the #allowed player command for all 80 races I DO want to use.. but it seems a lil tedious if I actually want to disable a few.

Ow and a last one
#knownfeature "473" --> can I use the command like this or should I loose the " "?
Old October 17th, 2007, 06:48 PM

Lieutenant General

ok if I start a game and do NOT set the 3 players as comp and with right races myself it will give an error becuase the gods can't be placed cus the nations are not there

the nations are NOT automatically placed in the game

HOW TO DO THIS?

PS I have solved point 5 with era = 0 for those races
Old October 18th, 2007, 03:11 PM

Lieutenant General

help plz with 2 posts above?
Old October 18th, 2007, 03:24 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

I'm going to actually point out here that until certain other issues are resolved, you're on pretty damned thin ice if you start demanding help as if you are automatically entitled to it, but I will help you this once.

See map command #allowedplayer <nbr>

That will allow you to set which nations can appear on the map. Though if you use it, you need to use it on all of the ones you want to allow, so it doesn't solve your problem except in cases of precisely 4 nations. Otherwise it's no can do.
Old October 18th, 2007, 03:30 PM

Lieutenant General

no I actually want 3 "pre placed" nations for the comp, they are the "enemies"and then just any number (but usually 1-4) for humans or others (to play agianst those 3 ,though not allied)
Closed Thread