.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 11th, 2007, 04:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

Sandman is on a distinguished road
Default Air bless: useless?

The air bless is unchanged from Dom 2, and I wonder, what's the point of it?

Only about half the nations have serious missile weapons, and only a few have the air magic to make the lighting resistance worthwhile. An enemy making heavy use of lightning will probably be casting Storm, and not using archers, so there's little synergy between the air shield and the lightning resistance.

For sacred units which have low protection and no shield, the astral bless is better. Twist fate works well into the late game, and magic resistance is always handy. Even better, astral nations can use spells like Body Ethereal, Luck and Anti-magic to further enhance the astral bless, whilst the air shield becomes obsolete with Arrow Fend.

The air bless needs help. Ideally, it'd be a good bless for air nations like Vanheim and Caelum.
Old October 11th, 2007, 04:10 PM

Major

Folket is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Air bless: useless?

Perhaps I will try a air bless in my next game to see if it is that useless.
Old October 11th, 2007, 04:23 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

The 4-8 bless has a niche in a few cases, the level 9 effect is second only to blood 9 in uselessness.
Old October 11th, 2007, 04:38 PM

Sergeant

Nikolai is on a distinguished road

Do not forget, high air bless make nether dart, blade wind, and most bolt spells miss three of four times. And Shock Resitance stacks with Shock ward (or whatever it name) and Storm warriors.

I do not like high blesses to use or have used on me. But I think Air Bless 9 can be useful, if you plan to cast Wrathful Skies with sacred mages and thugs.

Is it less useful than other blesses? I think so. Other blesses make for rushing, not Air. If not for rushing, I think high blesses are cripling yourself.
Old October 11th, 2007, 04:42 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Lazy_Perfectionist is on a distinguished road

Wait. You're talking about missile resistance bless as needing help? First off...
Lesser Air Bless shouldn't be compared to the Greater Astral bless.
Lesser Air VS. Lesser Astral
Helps versus ranged fire/No help against ranged fire.
No Help versus Shadow Bolt/Helps against Shadow Bolt and other MR spells such as Decay.
Helps versus some fire and many earth spells/No use against spells that do not check MR.
Becomes moot when Arrow Fend is castable/Stacks with other MR boosters.
Air spells not always castable/Astral spells not always castable.

Regarding its value for Air Nations, I've got no opinion. But it has been invaluable for certain games I've been playing as nations such as Atlantis that have no missile troops. If my current build supports an inexpensive air bless, I will take it.

My current pretender build for BAG involves an imprisoned Titan with Air 6, Earth 9 for a bless. The bless is not factored into my long term strategy, but has, in test games, allowed me to take 20 provinces by the end of the first year. A lot more than I ever expected a nation like Late Era Atlantis to manage. Of course, in MP, I'll be running up against human controlled nations as well. And as my Arssartut are capital only it won't be useful once I run out of independents to massacre. Fortunately, I've got other plans for that stage.
Old October 11th, 2007, 05:00 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

Remember as well, that if you've got low level air mages it's really nice to have A4 on your pretender to get access to Air boosters. 20% air shield isn't much but it can help. I wouldn't build a strategy around it, but it's a nice bonus.
Old October 11th, 2007, 05:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

Sandman is on a distinguished road

Does air shield work against bolt and dart spells?

I don't see a problem in comparing the lesser air bless with the greater astral bless, they've got similar effects, and with the Oracle, astral-9 is very cheap. In any case, ranged weapons can be dealt with in other ways; troop placement, counterfire, protection, regeneration, etc.

Another nice 'quirk' of the air bless: take air-9 for 70% missile protection, and watch as your sacred air mages waste a turn casting air shield.
Old October 11th, 2007, 05:14 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Lazy_Perfectionist is on a distinguished road

It's a bad idea to reveal my plans in advance, but what the heck. Try this experiment.

Strength five independents.
Late Era Atlantis.
Imprisoned Titan.
Air 6, Earth 9.
Order 2, Productivity 3
Death 2, Cold 3
Magic 1, Misfortune 1
Dominion 8

Every turn for the first year recruit one Tungalik and 8 Arssartut. Send out every other Tungalik with bless orders and sixteen Arssartut. Put the Tungalik at the very back, the Arssartut a little ahead with Hold and Attack orders. Watch as they slaughter 40, 50 units. Avoid cavalry, but little else- perhaps barbarians. Take on the cavalry and barbarians with Seal Hunters and Snow Warriors added onto your starting force. You can sometimes send out just eight and win, but it results in low research and swarms flanking your Arssartut and killing the Tungalik who's trying to stupidly cast a touch spell because you haven't researched anything.

Now, take off the air bless, and see how long they last against the crossbowmen plentiful in LE independents. The +4 protection from the earth bless just doesn't cut it. The Earth protection bonus is more valuable, but at E9 it should be. The Air makes a big difference, though.
Old October 11th, 2007, 05:31 PM

Corporal

ryo_akashi is on a distinguished road

I just wish that Air 9 provides an additional +2 precision. Useful, but not overpowered. It might open up different bless builds for strategy...
Old October 11th, 2007, 05:43 PM

First Lieutenant

Cor2 is on a distinguished road

Not useless. Not great either.
I can see the lv9 air bless being useful for a nation like Man. They get national troops capiable of orb lit and with a little buffing, lit bolt. B/c they rely so heavily on archers your not going to want to cast storm. You haev alot of crazy low precision mages casting lit stuff and your poor sacreds get hit. They also get hit by your longbowmen and the enemies archers. they don't have sheilds. And you save fatigue and time by not having to cast airsheild.

IMHO lv9 air bless synergizes perfectly with Man, and lv8 is useful for any nation with sacreds w/o sheilds.