.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 6th, 2009, 09:12 PM

Corporal

Raiel is on a distinguished road
Default (Very) Basic Battle Tactics

Basic Battle Tactics

This post is intended to be a compilation of strategies and ideas that new players will find helpful when setting up armies. The focus is on matching up mundane forces against independents, as is common in the first few turns (or more) of most games.

Very few, if any, of these ideas are "original". Most have been gleaned from posts by the very generous and insightful veterans of this forum. I am NOT taking credit for these ideas, merely trying to string them all together and put them in one place for new players to reference. To the vets that have contributed the strategies: Thank you and please accept my apologies for not naming each of you!

Abbreviations:

HaA-C = Hold and Attack Closest
HaA-R = Hold and Attack Rear
HaA-A = Hold and Attack Archers
A-C = Attack Closest
A-R = Attack Rear
A-A = Attack Archers
F-C = Fire Closest
GC = Gaurd Commander

SBT = Stay Behind Troops

Setting up a basic Army consists of four major decisions:

* Group Composition
"What type of unit will fill this group?"
Consider carefully the points made by OmikronWarrior in post #7 of this thread when choosing which units to recruit.

* Group Size
Not just "How many units are in a group?", but also "How many squares, or portions of a single square, does this group fill?"

* Group Placement
"Where will this group start in relation to the rest of my army?"

* Group Orders
"What do I want this group to do?"

Different combinations will yield groups designed for different roles:

Line Holders are generally large groups (five squares or more) of good protection and/or good defense units. The higher the hit points and morale of the units in this group, the longer they will hold against the enemy. They will normally be placed "Front and Center" or behind Decoys. HaA-C, F-C, and A-C may all be legitimate orders for Line Holders. (But note that any Fire order will risk group cohesion; each unit will choose its own unit target in the target group.)

Attack Squads are small groups (five squares or less) of melee-damage dealers. Attack squads should be placed in a line that will allow them to envelope the main force of the enemy with orders to: HaA-C, F-C, or A-C. Because of their small size, these groups will not "bunch up" against the enemy if they are properly deployed.

Flankers are either small or medium groups of units placed off-center of the main forces with orders to A-R, A-A, HaA-R or HaA-A.

Decoys are small groups meant to hold the attention of enemy groups in an effort to minimize damage received or maximize damage dealt to the enemy by controlling their movement on the battlefield. Place these groups so they will be closer to all of the enemy forces than the rest of your army. Orders should be HaA-C for stationary Decoys. Non-stationary Decoy groups should be given orders of GC and be capable of moving at least as fast as the enemies chasing them.

Archer Decoys should have shields, if possible, and have 5 or more units in the group. If they do not have shields, consider using a single (size 2) unit and moving your whole force further back; at long range it's square will be missed by most archers and the few accurate shots will still have a 66% chance of missing (since only 2 out of 6 'spaces' in the square are occupied). Give this group orders to HaA-C or GC if the commander has adequate defense against incoming arrows (armor/shield or Air Shield). Place them so they will be closer to all of the enemy forces than the rest of your army. Archer decoys should be given a wide berth by the rest of your forces, both in initial placement and on the path to Guard their Commander, so stray shots don't inflict damage to other groups. Finally, morale may be more important than a shield, as an Archer Decoy that routes becomes a major liability.

Pin Cushions are groups of cheap, easily replaced units with the sole purpose of taking damage that would otherwise be dealt to (much) more valuable units. Size and placement may vary greatly in response to the anticipated enemy forces.

Archers shoot. Really. Just throwin' that out there.

Battle Plans:

Archer Pull

Place your commander in the middle and very back of the field with orders: Holdx5-SBT. Place an Archer Decoy with GC orders in the middle of the field, just a little forward of center. Place Line Holders or Attack Squads on one side and to the rear of the Archer Decoy. Place Flankers far to the other side and to the rear of the Archer Decoy; give one flank orders to A-C or HaA-C while giving the other flank orders to A-A or HaA-A.

Bait-And-Switch (Against Light Infantry)

Mimic the Archer Pull in every way but one: Rather than Flankers, use javelin-equipped Attack Squads or Line Holders, and set every group but the decoy to F-C. Enemy javelins will never be thrown, but yours will...

Left (Or Right) Draw

Pick a side you want to draw the enemy toward. Place your commander on the chosen "draw" side at the very back with orders: Holdx5-SBT. Place a (fast) Decoy toward the front-middle with GC orders. Place a Line Holder in the center with HaA-C or in the middle back area with F-C. Place Flankers or Attack Squads opposite of the chosen "draw" side, about half-way forward from the middle. Note that this plan usually breaks up the enemy's formation and spreads them out in a bit of a line, leaving them less vulnerable to missile fire. Thus, orders of F-C to any non-archer units are often less than optimal.

Gauntlet

Place your commander in the middle and very back of the field with orders: Holdx5-SBT. Place a Decoy with GC orders in the middle of the field, very close to (or at) the front. Place Line Holders with HaA-C orders behind and on both sides of the Decoy, leaving enough room for the entire enemy force to (hopefully) pass between them. Archers may be used instead of Line Holders, but if the Decoy breaks or somehow loses the attention of the enemy the results will be... unpleasant.

Wait-For-It

The purpose of this plan is to give your units the first melee attack; it can take much practice to use successfully on different independent enemy types. Estimate how far the defenders will have advanced in 3 turns (a little more than half-way across your side of the field for Heavy Calvary), and place your line holders just out of reach with orders to HaA-C. Place Attack Squads with HaA-C to the left and right of your Line Holders to help envelope the enemy. If the enemy has Archers, place Flankers with orders to HaA-A on the far side(s) of the field.

Sacrifice

A plan based on the concept that a pyrrhic victory is better than no victory at all. Use a Wait-For-It or Draw setup with the addition of a Pin Cushion group in the path of the enemy. Especially useful against any units using a variety of lance, as lances get a one-time bonus to their first attack that can often kill even the most expensive unit. Don't forget to take into account the auto-route (75% HP loss) rule.

Closing Thoughts:

The plans above, if applied against the correct unit types and deployed carefully, will usually win with minimal casualties against similar numbers and quality of independent units. But something should be mentioned about the DRN (Dominions Random Number)... it is the Great Demon Murphy dice-incarnate. When (not if) your high-morale Archer Decoy routes it will probably leave you in a nasty situation. I warned you.

Archers have their place in any of the above plans. Just be sure to keep them out of the path of your decoys and they make excellent force multipliers (unless your own units lack shields).

These strategies need serious tweaking when used on the defensive; you take the first turn, which may change placement and what units get selected as targets by the enemy forces.

Finally, the lack of plans to use against Elephants is glaring, but I've never found a mundane, available-to-all plan that reliably countered them with less than 20% losses. They make me angry.

Good luck!

Last edited by Raiel; February 7th, 2009 at 11:58 AM..
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Raiel For This Useful Post:
Old February 6th, 2009, 09:50 PM

Private

Akela is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (Very) Basic Battle Tactics

Awesome! A great place to start, thank you!
Old February 6th, 2009, 10:38 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

ano is on a distinguished road

Very nice guide and many bright thoughts indeed. Thanks a lot, Raiel.
I knew most of these tricks and some others as well, of course, but, frankly speaking, I spent about two hours today planning and testing a hard turn-2 battle with indies with much inferior force. And it was a few hours before now when I found out (my friend said what I never knew) how to make enemy light infantry never throw javelins. If I didn't find a solution, I would probably think of remaking my turn now, after reading your guide.
Thanks! Nice job indeed!
Old February 6th, 2009, 10:47 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

One more thing:
You don't always need scripting your decoy to GC. HaA-C will work perfectly if you want your weak commander alive and just need to draw enemy to one side. Flankers set to A-A or A-R will crush archers and commanders once infantry goes to kill your decoy.
As for elephants, tactics you called "Wait-For-It" is very important here. Independent elephants may be predicted while against good human opponent you usually need something more than good lineup. With elephants (as well as hydras) tactics of killing commander with flankers often works well.
Old February 7th, 2009, 02:40 AM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

I hardly ever have a problem with my elephants (though I do have problems sometimes with others elephants). I put them off to the flank, surrounding my H2 caster. Set them on hold and attack, while the H2 casts sermons of courage on them. Then, they attack rear. A holding force keeps the enemy busy in the center while this is done. Most of the time, the elephants actually get all the way to the rear commanders, or at least the archers, and wreak havoc.

The sermon of courage gets their morale up to 12 (or higher, if they are experienced). That is usually good enough.
Old February 7th, 2009, 04:08 AM

Corporal

Panpiper is on a distinguished road

Sorry if I am missing the extremely obvious here, but you are using the abbreviation for a unit command 'GC' frequently, but you have not defined what it means. Nor do I have a clue (which I should be used to by now).
Old February 7th, 2009, 05:13 AM

Sergeant

OmikronWarrior is on a distinguished road

I've considered writing a 3,000 word article (meaning big, the exact number is unimportant) just on how to fight battles before mages are factored in. But I tend not to have the time and ultimately I doubt people would get a lot out of it as mages and SC's are so ubiquitous.

I might as well give out some of the pointers.

When choosing which troops to recruit:

1) Margins matter. The difference of +2 defense might not matter for a thug, but it can make a noticeable difference when the guys upfront are exchanging blows. Now, if there exists an across the board advantage (attack, strength, hp, etc.), then you are cooking with gas.

2) Zero Protection units die way to easily to be useful, no matter what the hp and defense stats. A protection of at least 10 is highly recommended unless the unit has correspondingly better HP. E.G. 20 HP for a protection of 7 and rising exponentially from there.

3) Attack values less than 10 are trouble, as a successful defense check completely nullifies damage. Be sure to actually click the attack skill as the figure shown does not take into account weapon modifiers or dual weilding penalties.

4) Units with two attacks are twice as nice, provided the attacks do not violate point 3.

5) Strategic movement of 2 is very important, except on some custom maps with a lot of forests and mountains where the extra movement is lost anyways.

6) Paying extra for the better unit is usually worth the investment as Dom3 combat tends to favor quality over quantity. The obvious exception is if the unit is expected to die quickly to enemy evocations. Then, by all means place some cheap decoys.

7) Size, for meelee smaller is better. When up against AoE spells or other types of attacks, bigger is better.

Other Advice:

1) The engine has trouble handling archer/melee combo units such as LA Man's troops or javelin throwers. Set the unit to attack, and none will use their range weapon even if they are not in a position to meelee attack. Hold and Attack is similar, only they might use range weapons while holding if the enemy is in range. If you want a squad to do both, you really need to give it no orders. Alternatively, set them to just shoot closest. When a squad moves close enough, those on the front will move forward to engage in meelee.

2) Typical archers are near useless against high parry and high protection troops.

PS, these aren't corrections Raiel, just my own observations piggy backing on your thread.
Old February 7th, 2009, 06:21 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Lingchih
The question was not how to fight with elephants. It was how to fight against them using regular troops.
Old February 7th, 2009, 06:24 AM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panpiper View Post
Sorry if I am missing the extremely obvious here, but you are using the abbreviation for a unit command 'GC' frequently, but you have not defined what it means. Nor do I have a clue (which I should be used to by now).
GC = Guard Commander.
Old February 7th, 2009, 06:31 AM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

I'll also note that ultra-cheap low-prot units like militia or R'lyeh's freespawn cultists can be useful as lance absorbers; the heavy cavalry's initial charge can be quite threatening to even well-protected (and generally more expensive) troops.

Other things to pay attention to --

- If you have in mind particular spells, check their ranges...
- Damaging auras. Friendly fire isn't.
- Flyers essentially teleport, unless there's a storm going on, and some can even fly during storms.