.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 29th, 2011, 05:43 AM

Corporal

Deathblob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fatigue 100- ?

200 is the limit. So, even if he is currently at 99 fatigue, if he casts a 500 fatigue spell, he will just have a total of 200 fatigue.

From there his fatigue would normally decrease by 5 per combat round, but if there is something that continues to give him fatigue (eg Grip of Winter, Heat from Hell, Rigor Mortis), and he is at 200, he will take HP damage instead of additional fatigue.
Old October 29th, 2011, 09:21 AM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

A spell can only set you at 200 fatigue. The only way to kill somebody using spellcasting (well... you know... without friendly fire) is to use a communion.

Edit: somehow I missed deathblobs post.
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453
Old October 29th, 2011, 02:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

JonBrave is on a distinguished road

OK, soooo.....,

When casting a high-number- fatigue spell, the only point of bothering with extra gems/levels/slaves/etc. is if the calculation will take the final fatigue (added to now) down to 199 or less... prolly 99 or less so he isn't comatose... else you may as well go 500 over as 1 over... I don't think I'll bother, it's too hard to organise for the benefit...
Old October 29th, 2011, 03:10 PM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Well, it makes it a lot harder to cast them in communions and have the slaves still be awake/alive . At least, I assume that higher 200 fatigue has some effect on communion slaves, but I never tested this myself. (should be easy, but... you know... effort ).
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453
Old October 29th, 2011, 04:02 PM

Private

Starbelly Geek is on a distinguished road

Biggest reason to avoid punching fatigue over 100 in one spell is so that the mage can do something else during the battle, up to and including run away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyweiser View Post
Well, it makes it a lot harder to cast them in communions and have the slaves still be awake/alive . At least, I assume that higher 200 fatigue has some effect on communion slaves, but I never tested this myself. (should be easy, but... you know... effort ).
Communion masters casting spells can take slaves over 200 and kills those slaves deader than heck.
The slaves themselves can't cast themselves over 200 (but they can cast themselves unconscious and then die when the master(s) keep casting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Starbelly Geek For This Useful Post:
Old October 30th, 2011, 04:17 AM

Sergeant

Knai is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrave View Post
OK, soooo.....,

When casting a high-number- fatigue spell, the only point of bothering with extra gems/levels/slaves/etc. is if the calculation will take the final fatigue (added to now) down to 199 or less... prolly 99 or less so he isn't comatose... else you may as well go 500 over as 1 over... I don't think I'll bother, it's too hard to organise for the benefit...
Odds are without extra gems or a communion you won't be casting it. Many of the high fatigue spells have high path rates, which means you are blowing gems or joining communions to be able to cast them at all.
Old October 30th, 2011, 04:48 AM

Second Lieutenant

I understand I may have to blow 1 gem to get a path +1. But I meant that's it: I shan't bother with any further fatigue-savers. So 400- (or more) might as well be 200-; in fact a lot of the time it might as well be 100- for all the difference it makes.
Old October 30th, 2011, 05:59 AM

Corporal

Deathblob is on a distinguished road

The difference is that for each 100, it will cost you one gem (or slave to cast it).

And a mage can only use as many gems (or slaves) as his current path level.

Also, if the mage is a higher level than the spell, he gets fatigue reduction.

Example 1:

Arrow Fend is A3 to cast, and 100 fatigue.

So, an A2 can blow 2 gems on the spell to cast it. Not possible if it was 200 fatigue (since he can't blow 3 gems).

An A4 can cast it with 1 gem, and end up with ~50 fatigue. If it was 200 fatigue, even if he blows 2 gems he ends up with ~66 (=200/3) fatigue.

Example 2:

Blood Rain is B3 to cast, and 300 fatigue.

If all you have is B1 mages, it is impossible to cast without a communion. So, first you need one make to blow one slave to become a communion master, then you need to blow four slaves for all of the communion slaves (one each). Blowing all those slaves will make the casters pass out, so you have to wait and hope they don't take too long waking up. Then the master needs to blow three slaves because it is 300 fatigue.

So that's a whole lot of slaves you need to blow to cast the spell, and you will definitely be very fatigued afterwards.
Old October 30th, 2011, 10:05 AM

Second Lieutenant

Perhaps I have not been explicit enough (though I thought I had) about the question I am trying to ask.

I was asking about the voluntary, extra gem when casting a fatigue spell. I understand the rule about gems are required to cast a spell, I am trying to understand how much to worry about reducing the final fatigue.

Let's take an example:

A spell requires level 4, costs 4 gems, and causes 400 fatigue ("Darkness" will do).
  • I have a level 5 (five) mage.
  • If I give him 4 gems, he gets 200 fatigue (i.e. reduced to 1/2 for possessing one extra level).
  • If I give him 5 gems, and he boosts, he gets 133 fatigue (i.e reduced to 1/3 for possessing 1+1 extra levels).
  • Not sure I can be bothered for that [especially, I think, if, say, he's already on 50 fatigue, and if that means the extra 200 fatigue maxes out at 200 and so can only add 150, if it works that way...(?)].

Simpler still, a level 4 (four) mage can cast it for 4 gems and get the 400 fatigue. But someone has said above that 200 is the maximum fatigue he can get anyway. So the level 4 mage comes out with no more fatigue than the level 5 mage with 4 gems in any case.

Right?
Old October 30th, 2011, 10:36 AM

Private

Starbelly Geek is on a distinguished road

Right.

Having a D4 mage cast one spell and nothing else the rest of the battle is kind of painful, though. Especially if he's mortal and gets surrounded by harpies or imps that take him down when he can't strike back or defend, and is vulnerable to crits. I'd take steps to prevent one spell from laying him out for the rest of the battle.