.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old May 27th, 2007, 12:09 AM

Private

ttomm46 is on a distinguished road
Default Single Player?

Hi

I would be playing primarily single player..Is the AI good enough for me to get the game for the single player..?
Old May 27th, 2007, 12:51 AM

Brigadier General

Shovah32 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Single Player?

If you would be playing primarily single player then i would say yes unless you would be using some of the things the ai cant handle(such as various high level magics and strong blesses). Many people at the start struggle with easy/normal and there are 4 difficulty levels above that(aswell as many strong nations and an option to set the ai to aggressive).
This game is worth getting no matter how you play but if your not sure check out the demo.
Old May 27th, 2007, 03:12 AM

First Lieutenant

jutetrea is on a distinguished road

This game was one of the few that kept my interest past a month. There are so many things to deal with its actually a bit overwhelming to start, a bit of a learning curve. Once the initial confusion passes you'll realize the game is huge, varied and deep.

I've been playing for about 3 months now, and was just starting to get bored with Single player. Joined my first Multiplayer game a few weeks ago and it adds multiple new facets to an already huge game.

Worth the relatively high price, and then some.
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:32 AM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
ttomm46 said:
Hi

I would be playing primarily single player..Is the AI good enough for me to get the game for the single player..?
Yes is the simple answer. The majority of people stuggle against the AI for the first month or two. So you get some good games.

Once you get used to the huge magic system, both spells and magic items and start exploiting the AI's weaknesses then you will be able to defeat the AI with confidence.

Even after that you have 60+ different nations to explore, so theres still alot of gaming left. After this join just 1 or 2 MP games, its easy and does not take up too much time. You then get a whole new game again.

The developers release regular patches giving new nations, spells and there are lots of mods to try.

Overall great value for money.
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:57 AM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

I've been playing SP for a couple of months, and while the AI isn't as good as I am it's plenty good enough to be fun. (Especially since, given that I usually play vs. 7-10 other nations, I'd like to win more than 10-15% of the time.) The main use for the AI is to give me a competent and unpredictable opponent (vs. playing against myself, where the problem is that I always know what "my" strategy is) while I'm trying out new nations/new opponents. The AI does have its weaknesses--it doesn't know how to Blitzkrieg over a Maginot Line and it doesn't always optimize spending perfectly--but I've found that the AI is close enough to good that by turning up the difficulty level, which gives the AI production bonuses, it can still compete well enough that if I fall behind in the early game I bog down and would presumably get crushed if I didn't go for a super-strategy that the AI can't handle (like supercombatants with unique items). I admit that I rarely finish a game, though, just play until I appear to be winning or losing, if that long--there are so many nations to try that I usually have 4-5 games running concurrently and once a game is "over" it loses priority and eventually gets replaced.

(If you play with a no-independent map or mod the AI is a lot stronger, too.)

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old May 27th, 2007, 11:21 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Ive played Dominions primarily as a solo player since Dom1. The AI in Dom3 is good enough until you play enough games to start predicting its actions. Playing as all of the nations and trying all of the possible strategies should keep you busy for awhile.

When you get there you can try the various maps, mods, scenarios which can give you a new AI experience. By the way, turning the indepts higher on a game can make the AI easier and turning the resources down can make the AI harder.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old May 27th, 2007, 02:48 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

I've been hooked on Dominions single-player since Dominions 1, and the games are often challenging, though my tastes and play-style help. I don't look at it as a puzzle of how I can find and exploit the AI's weaknesses to use the most powerful magics to win. Rather I choose a style of nation and enjoy playing it thematically. Also even if one learns how to defeat the AI one-on-one on Normal, AI nations can be added, their difficulty increased, settings changed, mods applied, etc.
Old May 28th, 2007, 04:11 PM

Private

ttomm46 is on a distinguished road

I'm convinced..thanks all...I'm ordering
Old May 28th, 2007, 04:16 PM

Brigadier General

Shovah32 is on a distinguished road

Yay, another convert joins the ranks.