.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old March 31st, 2016, 03:32 PM

Corporal

Grant1pa is on a distinguished road
Default Tomorrow When the War Began: Stand of the Light Horse

The scenario attached is set in fictional invasion of Australia by Chinese and allied forces in the year 2020. It is based loosely on the Australian Movie: Tomorrow When the War Began.

This scenario involves an assault toward the South Queensland town of Cunnamulla where a major north/south roadway (A71) meets Rt. 49 from Brisbane.

The primary Australian Units are a squadron (+) from the 2/14 Light Horse, equipped with the Australian ASLAV-25 and a company of reserve infantry (9-Queensland Royal Rifles). You have a platoon of SP motors and some off board artillery. Air support is limited and may or may not be available.

The Australian 1st Armoured Regiment (equipped with Australian M1A1's)is north of your positions and assistance has been requested. It's problematic if it will arrive or if so, in time.

Reconnaissance indicates that Chinese forces are comprised of AFV's and Light MBT's. You do not have air superiority.

This is a nasty little scenario which I haven't mastered yet. I may be making adjustments to it as I go along, but I'm presenting it now to get some input.

Best.

Tom
Attached Files
File Type: zip spscn693.zip (185.6 KB, 283 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grant1pa For This Useful Post:
Old March 31st, 2016, 07:02 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Tomorrow When the War Began: Stand of the Light Horse

The design notes says: "The TO&E of the Australian units have been increased..." What does that mean?

Further, "...unit engagement ranges have been reduced..." I have not found where the range of a unit's primary weapon was reduced.

I can do it in the scenario, just checking if you have another version with these adjustments made.

Please advise.
Old March 31st, 2016, 10:29 PM

Corporal

Default Re: Tomorrow When the War Began: Stand of the Light Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
The design notes says: "The TO&E of the Australian units have been increased..." What does that mean?

Further, "...unit engagement ranges have been reduced..." I have not found where the range of a unit's primary weapon was reduced.

I can do it in the scenario, just checking if you have another version with these adjustments made.

Please advise.
Sorry About that, bad habits. I increased the missile count for ATGM units (reflecting fixed positional stores in entrenched units), and upped the Sabot count/lowered the HE count for the ASLAV's. This was to compensate for the higher IFV force level of the Chinese units. Also, the set Australian Cav load-out for their sections didn't have AT (LAW). So I added LAWS to those units.

I did a cheat for the ranges by simply setting them through range button and not through setting opportunity fire. I know, a big cheat!

I'll reset the opportunity fire after feedback and update the scenario.

Sorry for the confusion.

Tom
Old April 1st, 2016, 01:47 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
Potion Re: Tomorrow When the War Began: Stand of the Light Horse

While reviewing the 2nd/14th LH regiment I noticed the inclusion of ATGM teams in essentially rifle sections. I contend this raises issues with unit range & filters.
In
The Rifle ATGM Section includes a Javelin ATGM with a range 1600m greater than the section's primary weapon of 400m. To range this section beyond 400m to enable the Javelin to engage armour at distance would permit the primary weapon to fire too.

One solution would require separating crew-served weapons from rifle sections. In this way each unit (rifle & ATGM) may range/filter each weapon accordingly.

I'm working on a solution to enable range/filter settings.

The ambush fire sectors and resultant kill zones appear ready to deliver serious damage. However, with a number of the CAV Souts, I moved them away from their vehicles to improve visuals, especially those scouts with Javelins.

The scenario forces me to consider when to unleash hell on the Chinese, and therefore how to control the units. That's a lot of weapons to render inactive, then active.
Old April 1st, 2016, 02:40 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
The Rifle ATGM Section includes a Javelin ATGM with a range 1600m greater than the section's primary weapon of 400m. To range this section beyond 400m to enable the Javelin to engage armour at distance would permit the primary weapon to fire too.

One solution would require separating crew-served weapons from rifle sections. In this way each unit (rifle & ATGM) may range/filter each weapon accordingly.

I'm working on a solution to enable range/filter settings.

The ambush fire sectors and resultant kill zones appear ready to deliver serious damage. However, with a number of the CAV Souts, I moved them away from their vehicles to improve visuals, especially those scouts with Javelins.

The scenario forces me to consider when to unleash hell on the Chinese, and therefore how to control the units. That's a lot of weapons to render inactive, then active.
Yeah, I think you're right about the range issue. I'll work on that this weekend myself and try to improve it by breaking up the ATGM sections from the leg infantry.

Your last comment is what I'm trying to do. I can see where setting the opportunity fire solves that. I'll work on that also as time permits. There's a lot of open terrain in the map, but that's what the satellite views show. Bad news for IFV's, but it's a bear to kill the Light MBT's.

Thanks for taking the time to go over the scenario. It will help me with the rest of the series I'm working on.

Tom
Old April 1st, 2016, 03:57 PM

Corporal

OK, I did some revisions of the scenario based on the feedback from shahadi (thanks mate!) and I will hopefully test it during my watch tonight (don't tell)if time is available.

I've broken down the leg infantry ATGM sections into straight Javelin teams, increasing the number of men and adjusting the number of ATGM's based upon carry capacity both of the section and their carriers.

I moved the cav scouts into entrenched positions to improve their view.

Also, I instituted opportunity fire instructions for the Australian ATGM teams (both the infantry and attached teams) and IVF's.

There were also some adjustments to the load-outs to units, adding some LAWs (you'll understand the need if you play this through). I may adjust that dependent upon the play balance I find in subsequent runs of the scenario.

As a side note, my attempt here was to simulate not only a blocking position, but also a viable ambush of the advancing Chinese MRR. The terrain is resonably open and favorable in part to the Australians.

I'll try to get a few runs of this this weekend, and if it plays better, I'll replace the original scenario I posted with the updated one.

Thanks again for the comments shahadi, any other comments would be appreciated.

Sorry I've been off the list for awhile, but real world committments have been heavy of late. Retirement is around the corner.... then I'll drive my wife crazy by spending my "free" time generating more scenarios.... oh, won't she be happy!

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cunnamulla2 - Copy (1024x627) - Copy.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	14169  
The Following User Says Thank You to Grant1pa For This Useful Post:
Old April 1st, 2016, 11:44 PM

Captain

Potion Re: Tomorrow When the War Began: Stand of the Light Horse

It maybe beneficial to review the allocation of battle points. If it is desired to "tilt" a little to the Aussie side, then setting the battle type may help in some measure.

This scenario is set as an Aussie defend vs a Chinese assault. I believe the game will allocate the Chinese side 2.5 points to each Aussie point. A delay/advance will reduce point allocation to 2:1, Chinese vs Australian. A meeting engagement allocates the points equally between the sides.

Question, looking at the scenario, is it not an Australian delay vs a Chinese advance, given as I read the Chinese MRR's objective is Cunnamulla and not the 2nd/14th Light Horse. Moreover, making the scenario an delay vs advance reduces battle point allocation.

Oh, and I'm looking forward to get my hands on your updated scenario.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 11:23 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
While reviewing the 2nd/14th LH regiment I noticed the inclusion of ATGM teams in essentially rifle sections. I contend this raises issues with unit range & filters.
In
If I understand this correctly its not an issue, use the Op Fire filter not the Y key
Set range vs infantry & soft targets low to control use of those weapons if needed.
Set range vs armor to something suitable at longer range to exclusively use ATGMs.

For infantry squads with long range RPGs or Grenade launchers equipped with AP capable rounds do the reverse.
Set range vs armor low to restrict engagement range with these weapons.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 01:39 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp;833491
[/QUOTE

If I understand this correctly its not an issue, use the Op Fire filter not the Y key
Set range vs infantry & soft targets low to control use of those weapons if needed.
Set range vs armor to something suitable at longer range to exclusively use ATGMs.

For infantry squads with long range RPGs or Grenade launchers equipped with AP capable rounds do the reverse.
Set range vs armor low to restrict engagement range with these weapons.
Yup, That's what I revised but haven't had the opportunity to test and repost yet. The unfortunate problem is that real world responsibilities came crashing down this weekend and I haven't had time to test it yet. I have this habit of cheating and using the range key and deciding when to execute opportunity fire when I start these games, but forget to adjust it to post them.

Also, I understand the issue of battle points raised by Shahadi. Originally, I set this as an advance against the Australian units. But the play balance from vehicle types showed a severe disadvantage to the Australians in unprepared positions. I may go back to that once I test the updated version with adjusted opportunity fire.

As soon as I can get free time, I'll decompress and run the update through a few times then repost it.

Thanks for the input.

Tom
Old July 13th, 2016, 11:58 PM

Major

Thanked 1,056 Times in 621 Posts
RetLT is on a distinguished road

Poor commie bastards never stood a chance. Got a DV with minimal losses.

I hid behind smoke and fired at medium range to catch the APCs before they could unload. Concentrated arty fire finished off the survivors.

OZ is saved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lh.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	14360