winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old December 20th, 2018, 03:03 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,389 Times in 2,686 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Confused 3840x2160 monitor

Does anyone play either game using a 3840X2160 ULTRA HD 4K MONITOR?

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old January 21st, 2019, 02:56 PM

Private

Prozorovsky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3840x2160 monitor

I play on a 32" 3840x2160 monitor. Not sure what you are looking for exactly so I'll just dump some thoughts. It's just readable when windowed on 1600x1280, which is how I play normally. Any smaller and I think I would be squinting/leaning in frequently. The text in the scenario list for instance is just big enough though to my eyes some of it already just 'blurs' together I'm guessing what I'm reading by what I can make out, the letter 'i' is hard to make out in a word as an example.

Text in the Encyclopaedia is more readable when you click on what you're interested in. But the green blurb text inside it is again only just readable to me like the scenario list.

On a smaller 4k screen I'm not sure how comfortable it would be when windowed.

I can't test full screen I get two errors: SAL ERROR IpDD->SetDisplayMode() Failed, code 80004001, SAL ERROR DirectDraw could not be initialized. Which is bizzare, could have sworn I had it working prior to a reformat, probably missing something. Maybe I could try on wine/linux. Anyway, I remember full screen being fine.
Old January 21st, 2019, 04:32 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,389 Times in 2,686 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

What is it like in desktop mode ?

Full screen used to work for me as well then MS made changes and now it does not but full screen only continues to be offered for older computers and OS systems. Neither Andy nor I ever used fullscreen.

However......if you want the " full screen "experience" use Borderless Gaming..there are links to it on the first page of both manuals and it works great with the game

I had asked about 3840X2160 ULTRA HD 4K because I was considering upgrading my monitor to a 28" UHD but I have since discovered .....and luckily before I bought it..... that my computer will not drive UHD out to 3840x2160.... it would be restricted to about half that and not worth my trouble and expense until I upgrade my computer and right now for 99% of what I do the monitor and computer I have does what I need it to do. What I was curious about was if anyone was using it and how the game looked BUT,,,,, that said the game should be crisp and sharp for you.... text should not be blurry at all. What I have found is that tends to be true when people run at 125% or something other than 100%

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; January 22nd, 2019 at 09:09 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old January 21st, 2019, 04:35 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

The SAL errors occur when you try to use a resolution the monitor cannot handle.

You should use windowed mode at desktop resolution.

Full-screen (256 colour) mode is only there as a legacy from DOS and XP days, the 256 colour mode it uses is no longer the fastest video mode, as modern graphics cards have to emulate it (if they support it at all).

To support a smaller screen size using desktop resolution:
- Use the windows preferences to switch to the smaller screen size
- Now start the game in windowed mode at desktop resolution and it will now use the smaller size windows is set at (i.e. the windows desktop size)
- Once finished playing, reset windows to the original size.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old January 21st, 2019, 11:16 PM

Private

Prozorovsky is on a distinguished road

Don't know how I missed the desktop mode. And yes the slight blur was from windows scaling, I had it on 150%.

Without the scaling, desktop mode isn't readable without leaning in. It's certainly playable though and seeing nearly all the horizontal space on a 80 wide map without needing to scroll or zoom out is neat. Windows scaling causes a slight blur but does the job, worth the compromises on the blur and how many hexes you can see.

Thank you both for the information.
Old January 21st, 2019, 11:23 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Which is why I suggested the standard workaround for desktop resolution where you desire a smaller screen than the default for your monitor. Choose a windows resolution that works, switch to it and then run the game. Desktop mode uses whichever desktop size you currently have set in windows.