.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old January 16th, 2019, 12:57 AM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Skittish VH Scenario #470

In Ts4EVER's Scenario #470, Bazooka Town, hex #31,12, a wood building, is a 100-point objective that's in German hands before the battle. Yet after first moving a tank into it, then an engineer squad, the hex stubbornly refused to acknowledge American control. At end of battle the Germans have 100 points more than they should. (Spoiler Alert--there's also a [now destroyed] basement in the hex).

Here's the last turn save; hit End Turn and you get Battle Results:
Attached Files
File Type: 7z Saved Games.7z (54.6 KB, 346 views)

Last edited by jivemi; January 17th, 2019 at 09:01 PM..
Old January 16th, 2019, 10:51 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Skittish VH Scenario #470

When that save game is saved as a scenario and the V hex placement ( objective 10 ) is checked the hex in question 31,12 does not show a V hex flag marker clearly but when placed in various other hexes it WILL show EXCEPT in that 31,12 but it will also not show clearly in 23,13 or 33,13 or 25,15..... I didn't check every one of the 2300+ hexes on the map but those 4 are indeed "dead" space where the V hex will not show clearly at the end of the game .

HOWEVER.......... ALL of those hexes I mentioned would not show a V hex clearly ( AND clearly IS KEY )

are all building hexes where bunkers were placed as well and have been destroyed...... 31,12 is , however, the ONLY one that also had a V-Hex placed in addition to the bunker so the "issue" is with V-hexes placed in buildings that have bunkers..... the rubble is not allowing the V hex to show through properly

BUT------that is NOT why you "lost" 100 points

That V hex you indicated ( 31,12 ) **IS** giving you 100 points but THIS ONE...

was overlooked becasue rubble was partially obscuring it and you did not take it and that is where the extra 100 points is coming from not 31,12

To be clear this is NOT a new "problem".... it's just very unusual to have that many bunkers placed in buildings that have V hexes....bunkers are like any game "piece" they sit over a V hex otherwise you wouldn't see them.... but when building and bunker are turned to rubble the combination of building, bunker and rubble pretty much buries the V hex marker.

BUT....... the "solution" IS ALL READY IN THE GAME... ( **if** you own the Extended CD version.......)

press

SHIFT+ |

( the key above \) and that clears the rubble and wreaks ( destroyed bunkers are classed as wreaks ) so you can see the V hexes clearly which will show you the one you missed was not the one you thought it was

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	missed taking.png
Views:	496
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	15643  

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; January 16th, 2019 at 01:53 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old January 16th, 2019, 05:12 PM

First Lieutenant

Ts4EVER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Skittish VH Scenario #470

In my defence, I put the bunkers on the houses because they are supposed to be basements used as fighting positions. I had not expected this to cause any problems.
Old January 16th, 2019, 05:24 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

It's not your fault....it's a creative use of available game units and I like it but the combination of building+ bunker + rubble + V hex is unique I think to any other scenario but finding them is easy enough using the SHIFT + | key....... *IF* they are destroyed....if they are not destroyed then in most cases it takes a keen eye to spot the V-hex marker.... in the original game the V hex markers were larger but there were a number of requests to make them smaller and there are mods that make them even smaller still but after 2 DECADES it's "a problem" only becasue you found the way to create a " perfect storm".......we have put this on the list to see if we can add a hotkey that will reveal temporarily the V-hexes over all terrain and units..... a press of any other key or action will revert to normal but right now that is JUST an idea... no promises at all that this will get into the game code. Right now I have not considered if an adjustment to that scenario is warranted .... I don't think so... I like the idea of a "basement" in the building but it could be the V hexes may need to be relocated away from those combinations but for now everything is going to stay as is

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old January 16th, 2019, 08:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road

Many thanks Don for your kind attention and precise explication. For something so relatively minor you've gone far beyond the call of duty. Very surprising to see what the real "culprit" was.

BTW in MY defence for not having the CD it's 'cuz of various factors, such as:

1) Methods of payment--don't have a Stateside bank account, dollar checks from here can take months to clear, and PayPal is beyond my (or my sons') ken.
2) Local customs is not always cooperative and delivery charges can be exorbitant.
3) Getting most any older game to work on Windows 10 is challenge enough. Whether or not the disc would make it harder is something this grizzled geezer would prefer not to chance.

Nothing like rationalizations to ease the guilt of a Cheap Charlie, eh? Anyway it's a great game which deserves the support of anyone who enjoys it; here's hoping intangible contributions are compensation enough.
Old January 16th, 2019, 10:42 PM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

As a small side note, winSPWW2 and winSPMBT install and run seamless in Windows 10.
Old January 26th, 2019, 10:38 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

The problem has been solved for the next patch..... a hotkey can be pressed that will put the V hexes on top of everything ...press it again and things go back to normal...it will allow CD holders to check for missed V hexes buried in rubble

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old January 30th, 2019, 09:16 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,851 Times in 1,216 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Plus there is another hot key for CD owners that will show the V-hex values under the appropriate V-hex, and if you then press the V-hex toggle to put them above the other layers, the values follow the raised V-hexes above the troops and smoke and stuff.

Also for CD owners there is another toggle that shows your artillery plotted hexes on the map (impact hexes, with battery names under them, and also the gold spots). Handy for folk like me who keep on driving up to where I plotted some presents, and then debussing under the incoming delivery...

Both games, of course.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post: