.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old January 8th, 2019, 11:30 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: SaS TrooP non-series or limited series scenarios WW2 Edition

Did you really want those two Vickers MG's showing Brit ID tags?

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old January 8th, 2019, 08:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

SaS TrooP is on a distinguished road

Honestly? No. I have issues with precise understanding of how to change the tags sometimes. I made those Vickers - as far as I remember - by simply buying them as captured unit. I have noticed it sometimes happens anyway, same did in scenario #295 Showdown Amrica: Desperados, where Uruguayan Vodniks (by the way - they use them and they should be added to their OOB) also keep Russian tags even though crew is Uruguayan and I simply cannot explain it.
Old January 8th, 2019, 09:54 PM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

IINM If you purchase formations as captured they will get your flag, if you purchase them as Allied they will have their flag.
Old January 8th, 2019, 10:42 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

And problems like that, when they occur, can easily be corrected with ScenHack.

295 now shows nothing but Uruguayan ID tags for all Uruguayan units in that scenario

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; January 8th, 2019 at 10:55 PM..
Old January 9th, 2019, 04:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

Are you sure? Because I quickly checked yesterday, and my game still has russian ones in place. Unless I accidentally did not overwrite that scenario in the updates.
Old January 9th, 2019, 07:41 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

They show Uruguayan ID tags to me becasue I corrected them with ScenHack.......... and when the patch is release everyone else will see them too

The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old January 10th, 2019, 08:21 PM

Second Lieutenant

Thanks for doing that, I will take more careful approach with the tags from now on. Particularly because new scenario is a matter of days.
Old January 27th, 2019, 09:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hello there!
New one coming, this time medium sized, battalion scale scenario. It covers assault on Gambella, part of Siege of Saio in Ethiopia, that was only major engagement conducted by Force Publique - or Belgian Colonial Army - during World War 2.

Since Force Publique is well covered in the Belgian OOB, I decided to give it a go and some purpose on the scenario list.

I hope you will like it. Mind that it is partly tested. I played it through, prepared for release aaaand... I found out I accidentally overwrote the scenario with and EMPTY one. And I had to redone all buying and deployment as carefully as I could, but "redone" version is untested.

Quote:
Niam-Niams at Gambella*
Date: 22nd of March, 1941*
Location: Gambella, Gambella province, near Saio, northwestern Ethiopia*
Type: Belgian advance vs. Italian delay*
When Belgian army in Europe dropped arms in late May, 1940, one must remember that Belgium - same as Uniked Kingdom, France or Italy - was a colonial empire. The Belgian Congo continued to exist under Belgian administration and remained completely loyal to the government in exile that resided in London.
Belgian army in Congo - known as Force Publique - was well equipped and big colonial force with white officers and black soldiers from various tribes. Force Publique became more known to teh world during World War I, when it fought on various african fronts. After the fall of Belgium, it did remain as only effective fighting force of this country until Brigade Piron was raised and baptised in fire in August 1944 in Normandy.
After lengthy hesitation, Belgian government declared war upon Italy in 1941. The colonial administration immediately proposed that Force Publique should contribute its fighting force to the Allied offensive in East Africa, or modern Ethiopia and Somalia. Belgians finally deployed 3 battalions in April 1941, besieged and captured the natural fortress of Saio - with thousands of Italian troops captured, what allowed first to stall, and then to stop completely, Italian offensives on Southern Sudan.
In order to do this, Force Publique trekked thousands of miles through the jungles and bushes of Africa - a journey that took months to complete, with supplies in depletion and raging dysentery. Nevertheless, after brief fight at Asosa, the fatigued black troops followed the Baro river south, towards the Italian flank at Saio located at harbour town of Gambella.
The Belgians under command of Colonel van der Meersch stormed Gambella on 22nd of March, taking the town first, and then charging the so called "Sugarloaf" - a natural conical hill that overlooked the area. Italian garrison, made of about 700 colonial troops - fought hard and serious casualties were inflicted on both sides, however the Belgians were finally victorious.
Taking of Gambella would directly lead to the siege of Saio itself, since it was the only location Italians could withdraw to.
Note: during the attack on Gambella, Force Publique was still only in strength of one battalion and entire battalion was committed. Italian troops were also shaken of Belgian presence. There was a rumour spread by the Allies that Congolese troops are cannibals and will consume the bodies of the dead. Italians soon called them "Niam-Niams" - from the sound the meat makes when bitten into.
Historically, Gambella fell after ferocious and heavy combat that left dozens of combatants dead on the both sides.
When playing against the AI, Player should take Belgian side.
Design: Marcin "SaS TrooP" Kaluza*
Sources: Various internet sources, mostly The "Belgian Campaign in Ethiopia: A trek of 2,500 miles through jungle swamps and desert wastes" by George Weller (1942) as well as Italian war records I was able to aquire thanks to wojna-mussoliniego.pl
Attached Files
File Type: zip 535 Niam-Niams at Gambella.zip (217.1 KB, 389 views)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SaS TrooP For This Useful Post:
Old January 28th, 2019, 06:13 PM

Major

Thanked 1,053 Times in 619 Posts
RetLT is on a distinguished road

Interesting backstory for this one.Thanks
Old April 6th, 2019, 04:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

Allright, I had quite a down for making scenarios, but it seems I might be back to it again :3

It seems to be running properly after the latest update, but there might be some fixes. I still wonder if I shouldn't make British AT guns self-mobile, AI seems to be having some issues with their mobility.

Nevertheless, here it comes, yet another forgotten conflict of WW2

This scenario covers partial what-if engagement near Ahvaz, during the Anglo-Soviet invasion of Iran. Scenario is playable from either side, but i recommend Iranian side - Iran OOB was manually made for this scenario. Hold your ground as Iranian commander... or crush the resistance with your elite forces :3

There will be 1-2 more Iranian scenarios to come, stay tuned! So I will keep slots 811 and 812 if possible as well.

Quote:
Advance on Ahvaz*
Date: 27th of August, 1941*
Type: Iranian (Blue) defence vs. British (Indian) advance*
In August 1941, the war was surely not going well for the Allies.
Soviet army was being crushed in one battle after the other. In August 1941, the battle of Brody was already over and a huge pocket of Uman was created (those events were partly depicted in "South of Uman" scenario). Yet, at this point, USA was partly active in Allied war effort and so Allies were looking for short and effective supply routes to the Soviet Union.
One of those routes was Iran - or previously Persia - rulled by king Reza Shah Pahlavi. Iranians suffered greatly during World War 1, but interwar period was one of unseen before developments on all social fronts: political, economic, as well as military. At the same time, political crisis with United Kingdom was developing on ground of income from Anglo-Iranian Oil Companies. It comes to no surprise that Iran started to close its ties with Nazi Germany as soon as France fell in 1940. In August 1941, Iran was rather openly pro-German, shielding German interests and looking for possible bases for Luftwaffe war effort against the Soviet Union. At the same time, there was one of the greatest train rails of that era going from Bahgdad to Soviet republics of Azerbaijan and Turkiestan.
All above led to the Allied decision to invade Iran - after more peaceful persuasion proved to be futile - and secure the line for oil and weapon transports. Later in the war, this line will prove strategic for Lend-Lease program shipments.
The Anglo-Soviet invasion of Iran began on 25th of August, 1941 with strategic attacks against Iranian air force and oil fields in Abadan. British Advanced with two Indian divisions (8th and 10th), as well was one cavalry and one light tank brigade, aiming for southern province of Khruzestan and central Iran heights. Soviets opened up with several armies, including 47th from Turkiestan and 44th from Azerbaijan, mounting up to about 10 divisions and more than one thousand tanks and motor vehicles. Iran did upgrade its military and it was considered semi-modern in 1941 with about 10 divisions and an armoured brigade. Majority of Iranian equipment was provided by Czechoslovakia before its fall in 1939, yet the transports were continued under German supervision.
This scenario covers a what-if situation if battle of Ahvaz really developed. Ahvaz was approached on 27th of August by 8th Indian Division made up of three brigades, while the spearheading one was 17th Infantry Brigade under Brigadier Doughlas Gracey. 17th Brigade was a mixed formation made of Pakistani Lancers (armoured recon), British Royal Fusiliers, Indian Frontier Force and Ghurkas. Royal Air Force quickly secured its dominance.
Iranian forces in Ahvaz consisted of elite 1st Infantry Division under General Shakhbakti, reinforced with Iran's only motorized brigade. The presence of the latter - according to some historians - was a surprise to the British. Nevertheless, Iranians did have more than 100 tanks and armoured vehicles in the outer defence rings of Ahvaz, as well as serious fortifications prepared.
After initial skirmishes, the British 17th Brigade did not decide to assault the defence ring. Before the decision to attack was made, the Iranian government asked for a ceasefire. This scenario however covers the situation, in which Brigadier Gracey was finally order to break the Iranian defence and situation got serious...
Scenarios is playable from EITHER side, while the Iranian is somewhat recommended. As Iranians, you have two out of three regiment's battalions in that sector at your disposal - you are dug in around the village of Ein-I-Do, right before the Ahvaz's outskirts. Hold off the British long enough for your tank reinforcements to counterattack. Beware however of the British AT capabilities and their domination in the air.*
When playing as the British, try to crush Iranian defences rather quickly - their tanks will appear sooner or later, and your footmobile infantry better be ready for their welcome.
Design: Marcin "SaS TrooP" Kaluza*
Sources: Various internet sources
Attached Files
File Type: zip 810 Stand for Ahvaz.zip (157.5 KB, 349 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SaS TrooP For This Useful Post: