.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old October 19th, 2019, 09:53 PM

Private

warhorse is on a distinguished road
Default A scenario I made many years ago won't open in scenario selection.

I made a scenario quite a few years ago, Bulgaria/Germany in 1944, a couple guys helped me test it, worked fine. Went to open it a few days ago, and now it crashes the game when you try to select it? It will open in scen hack but not ingame. I probably did make it on an older version, is there any way to salvage it? I have the SPWW2-CD version and free versions.
Old October 19th, 2019, 11:23 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: A scenario I made many years ago won't open in scenario selection.

When you open it with Scenhack does it report there is a problem with it ?

There have been numerous upgrades to the game since " quite a few years ago" and the only reason the old scenarios and campaigns in the game still work is I updated them every release. Don Lazov ( Zovs66 ) knows only too well the pitfalls of trying to resurrect old scenarios that have not been updated with every new release so this one of yours may be lost for the same reasons many of the ones he tried to resurrect could not be. You can post it if you like and if/when I have time I may look at it but sometimes there is simply nothing that can bring them back

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old October 20th, 2019, 09:55 AM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
When you open it with Scenhack does it report there is a problem with it ?

There have been numerous upgrades to the game since " quite a few years ago" and the only reason the old scenarios and campaigns in the game still work is I updated them every release. Don Lazov ( Zovs66 ) knows only too well the pitfalls of trying to resurrect old scenarios that have not been updated with every new release so this one of yours may be lost for the same reasons many of the ones he tried to resurrect could not be. You can post it if you like and if/when I have time I may look at it but sometimes there is simply nothing that can bring them back
Hi Don, No, no errors are reported, in Scenhack, which is weird? Man, I remember back when we were developing SPWAW, I was the graphics/oob guy back then, good to see your game is still alive, I now play SPWW2/SPMBT because you guys keep it going, appreciate it! Do I zip it and post here, or?
Old October 20th, 2019, 04:19 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Just zip it up and post it on this thread.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old October 20th, 2019, 04:22 PM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

As Don points out there are many pitfalls, even if the old scenarios open in the editor there can be issues.

I converted and fixed what I could , about 14 or so WW2 ones and 83 MBT ones. I also found a few more MBT one and fixed what I could. I know this next part sucks, it may be best to just start over with a new design.

I may be able to help in a couple of weeks if you’d like.
Old October 24th, 2019, 08:32 PM

Private

Exclamation Re: A scenario I made many years ago won't open in scenario selection.

Ok, here are the files zipped up, appreciate any help guys!

DRG NOTE

I have removed this attachment.

That thing crashed my game and locked up functions in my computer in a way I have never had happen before and I am still checking if permanent damage was done to my master game and computer.

Don

Last edited by DRG; October 25th, 2019 at 05:44 AM..
Old October 25th, 2019, 05:33 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Further to the above.

The aberrant behaviour my game and computer exhibited when that 995 scenario was in my scenarios folder was far beyond anything I had experienced in the past 20+ years involving the game so understand I was NOT HAPPY at that time I wrote that.

In my case even scenhack locked up once and yes I did try three times to get it to run but every time I got to the last page where it was something really unpleasant occurred. In one case the entire list of scenarios disappeared and I was left with "Load scenario list" at the top of the game screen and nothing but blank space below it AND the page froze there and I could not get out. Another time I "snuck up" on the last page instead of using GOTO and the game froze up and crashed but just before that I could see the list of scenarios but it stopped after 994 then it crashed and that is why I purged the scenario and the zip from my computer because also after the crashes my computer wasn't quite acting normally so I did a full reboot then deleted 995 and 995zip and it and the game is running OK again but that got me thinking if it was crashing when the page it was on appeared and in that one case the list stopped displaying when it got to 995 then *maybe* the problem is in the CMT or the TXT files. The second time I tried to view it with scenhack it would show me the units and there was nothing reported as being a problem. That does not explain why it froze up scenhack the first time I tried it but here is something you might try as a last resort

1/delete or rename the existing 995 CMT ( XXspscn995.cmt for example )
2/make a copy of any other CMT then rename it manually to spscn995.CMT
3/Rename spscn995. TXT the same as I suggested above--- XXspscn995.txt

Startup your game then try using GOTO to get to slot 974 then use NEXT to get to the last page and see if you get a crash.

What the game uses to display the info on the "Load scenario list" is the CMT and the TXT file ( so not the DAT that is what runs the scenario )

So if the CMT or TXT is corrupted somehow that could be what is causing the crashes, not the actual scenario itself.

Try that and get back to me with your results. The scenario does not need a txt file to run but it will need a CMT so pick one that does work and you can rename it later (if this works).

If a new CMT stops the crashing and allows the scenario to run then we can take a hard look at the TXT file but if "removing" the txt file and using a new CMT still causes lockups and crashes then that scenario is junk but give those tests a try as I hate to lose scenarios like that

Don

Last edited by DRG; October 25th, 2019 at 05:54 AM..
Old October 25th, 2019, 11:20 AM

First Lieutenant

If I am not mistaken, Warhorse real first name is Don, if so then I know DRG is Don and mine (zovs66) is Don.

If that is all true maybe this whole thread and thing is a triple D curse of sorts?

Don
Old October 25th, 2019, 01:25 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

....good thing DoubleDuece wasn't involved too or it would be a quintuple curse of D's........

Old October 25th, 2019, 06:10 PM

First Lieutenant

Lol