.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old April 19th, 2020, 05:43 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: [WIP] Campaign - Arctic Struggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts4EVER View Post
Cool! So that is finally fixed.
Not quite.

Those wrecks, both British and German, are "destroyed" but they are more than just decoration in that even though the men were set to zero to give them destroyed status when the scenario starts, they still have their original COST which means at games end that is calculated into the score for both sides and I am investigating further adjustments including simply removing them from the scenario.

As well I am still trying to figure out how the British tanks that start that last scenario near the far "east" edge got to where they are when they are here in the scenario....

But here when the battle starts

and how I still need to figure out how we end up with three platoons all "P"

So right now the campaign is playable and will allow progression to the end of campaign screen but there are still oddities that need ironing out

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NZ4b32.png
Views:	398
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	16005  
Attached Images

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; April 19th, 2020 at 06:17 AM..
Old April 19th, 2020, 06:38 AM

First Lieutenant

Ts4EVER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: [WIP] Campaign - Arctic Struggle

I suspect that tank placement might be caused by the scenario extraction process somehow?
Old April 19th, 2020, 08:20 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Why those and why there ?........IDK either but that's the next step. Methinks there's been a bit too much "creativity" employed in this scenario and the game has lost track of things as they have been shuffled then reshuffled and the fix may be to wipe it clean and start fresh but that's my last resort

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; April 19th, 2020 at 02:27 PM..
Old April 19th, 2020, 08:51 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

This is turning into quite a PITA........but in an "interesting" way. I have a version that does not start Three British tanks deep in the German lines ( yeah..!)

But now I have two formations with Q as their designator which is better than three with P but still not right

Old April 19th, 2020, 09:32 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

......and I just discovered the first map was resized somehow so I've removed the attachment and will re-issue this when the damn thing is right which the way it keeps resisting change may be never

Old April 19th, 2020, 12:02 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Exclamation Re: [WIP] Campaign - Arctic Struggle

Quote:
I suspect that tank placement might be caused by the scenario extraction process somehow?
Don't think so. Suspect it may be from all the deleting and re-buying and the "wreck" creativity. I had one that was great except there were patrols deployed in the German lines but they were also in their carriers. If the carriers were unloaded they would teleport back to the carriers.......I redid it and now I have one where they units stay where I put them but have three formations all identified as "P"..... other than that it plays OK and there are no phantoms scouting German Positions but I'm going to take a break from it for awhile.

The fact that now every time I end the fourth battle I get the campaign score screen which was the main problem before......these other things are annoyances...vexing annoyances. I have done just about everything except clearing all units from that sceanrio......saving to clear it then reloading and rebuying everything BECAUSE..... I keep hoping something less drastic will work

Old April 19th, 2020, 12:11 PM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road

This is an interesting theme to me personally. The Petsamo-Kirkenese offensive took place at around 70 North.

I live at 66 North.

When I first got into making scenarios the Soviet 99th Corps in Maretskov’s offensive was the very first thing I researched. But, I never went ahead with it because I saw no solution to the mixing the peculiar nature of the terrain in the far north with a fun game. (The game has evolved considerably since then).

First off, the fixed core won’t work for me. I don’t want infantry platoon leader units being MG’s or mortars – this will be problematic for leadership reasons when the battle starts.

I opted to make it an open core and built a new core force for myself:

Bn HQ
Forward Observer
Bn Spt Co (2 Ski scout sections, Ski sniper, Ski pioneer plt, HMG plt, MG plt, 45mm AT-gun section, infantry gun section, 82mm mortar section)
Ski rifle company
Ski rifle company
Ski rifle company
SMG Company

I made it a Ski battalion giving the troops better mobility. Added a SMG armed company (non-ski units) for comparison reasons.

Map looks nice, Venhola I assume. I’m not sure you’ll find green trees this far north in October though...

It is hard to judge lines of sight which might be annoying to some players but that is largely how the actual terrain is – large amounts of ravines, gullies and the like, and higher hills offering better observation in good weather.

Strongpoint Zuckerhutl existed in reality. Nice.

I decide for a frontal attack without much finesse. Brute force. I expect the enemy to be a reinforced company (Gebirgsjäger) with a few bunkers and small calibre AT-guns and limited artillery. I have 60 turns and I’m confident I’ll be able to take the strongpoint without taking too many losses. I aim to plaster all discovered targets with my plentiful artillery.

The attack goes in and by about turn 40 the majority of VHs are taken. My losses are not quite minor though. I lose a few scout units and have a number of infantry sections shot up, 117 Soviet losses vs 206 German. In the end I decide not to finish off the last German units in order to conserve my own infantry strength for future battles. The game plays out the entire 60 turns. The German defenders do not counterattack.
I did not know where the ammo wagons would appear. Moving at about 1 hex per turn they never made it to any unit in need of ammo (mortars) before it became clear that the German force was all but beaten – given that I had deployed the mortars a bit forward.

Overall the scenario is well balanced IMHO – not too easy, not too frustrating.

The Following User Says Thank You to wulfir For This Useful Post:
Old April 19th, 2020, 12:39 PM

First Lieutenant

The MGs are not platoon leaders, they are just in the first slot of the platoon. The platoon leaders are infantry squads marked with "PL".
Old April 19th, 2020, 01:51 PM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The MGs are not platoon leaders...
Right, nonetheless, I think I prefer to have the 0 unit being the leaders. Just my preference.
Old April 19th, 2020, 01:55 PM

First Lieutenant

Yeah it's fine. I am just gonna assume that if you finish a scenario early it might be in part due to the ski troops.