.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old May 25th, 2020, 05:21 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Tannenberg Line

My "Social distancing" project

There are two RAR's
One is the scenario
One is the new graphic files with a slightly altered black "rebel" ID tag and V hex flag to expand it's use.

The old one with the yellow outline has been replaced by the grey/ black one on the right. In this scenario, it is used to represent the non-German SS units that were involved.

This is not "political correctness" it's a way to allow scenario designers to differentiate the difference between the two. This will be the standard black flag when we release another patch upgrade......... eventually.

Extract the scenario to the games Scenarios folder and the Graphics to the Game Data/ Graphics folder

The scenario was designed to be played as P1 ( German ) but playtesting has shown it is playable from both sides

Quote:
Battle of Tannenberg Line*
DATE: 24 July to 12 August 1944*
BATTLE LOCATION: The Sinimaed Hills about 20 km west of Narva, Estonia*
BATTLE TYPE:*
Germany (Defend) vs Soviet Russia (Assault)*
HISTORICAL SITUATION:*
In the Sinimaed Hills, the III German Panzer Corps was Commanded by Waffen-SS Obergruppenfuhrer Felix Steiner. The German defences were made up of troops of many different European nationalities and included the 11th SS Division Nordland made up of Norwegians and Danes. Roughly half of the infantry consisted of local Estonian conscripts of the 20th Estonian SS Division who were highly motivated to resist the looming Soviet re-occupation. As well there were units of the 4th SS Brigade Nederland, made up of Dutch volunteers as well as the Flemish SS Battalion Langemarck and the Walloon SS Battalion Wallonien along with other support units.*
On the attacking Soviet side were the rifle corps and divisions subordinate to the Russian 2nd Shock Army commanded by Lt. Gen. Ivan Fedyuninsky and the 8th Army commanded by Lt. Gen. Filipp Starikov along with independent artillery, air and armoured vehicle units.*
The Soviet artillery and air forces began bombing the Sinimaed Hills on 25 July. The first Soviet infantry attacks on the hills were made on 26 July. The most intense battles took place between 27 and 30 July with the Sinimaed Hills passing from one side to the other many times.*
The Sinimaed Hills were a good defensive position to control the Narva-Tallinn road on the isthmus between the sea and the great bogs to the south. The first defensive structures at Sinimaed were built as early as during the Great Northern War (1700-1721). During World War II the German army built up powerful defensive positions in the Sinimaed Hills.*
This scenario compresses the battle to one event. To truly recreate this battle correctly it should be broken down into a mini-campaign but even that would be difficult. In the small area represented by this map the Germans commanded a force of just over. 22,000 men which held off an estimated 136,000 Soviet troops and the game simply cannot portray that accurately without breaking the battle down into a series of smaller events so this scenario is an attempt to recreate the general feel of the battle*
The historic outcome of this series of battles was a defeat for the Russians with casualties estimated at ten times the losses of the formations commanded by the Germans. The Red Army failed to seize Estonia at this time which granted tens of thousands of Estonians more time to flee to the West. Estonia was captured a month later from the south-east. As no successful breakthrough was made in the Sinimaed Hills, the Red Army was unable to establish control on the southern shore of the Gulf of Finland which delayed Finland's exit from the war until the beginning of September.*
Map and Scenario Creation by Don Goodbrand*

Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: rar spWW2scn0888.rar (260.3 KB, 411 views)
File Type: rar WW2_Graphics-ID-VHex.rar (39.3 KB, 412 views)

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2020, 05:47 AM

First Lieutenant

Ts4EVER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tannenberg Line

Had a quick look and it looks quite cool. I assume the map was made with venhola? Will probably give it a try over the weekend.
Old May 26th, 2020, 08:02 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Exclamation Re: Tannenberg Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts4EVER View Post
Had a quick look and it looks quite cool. I assume the map was made with venhola? Will probably give it a try over the weekend.
Partly using Venhola and it was built in sections. Originally it was just the clear area that leads to the hills and the hills but even though that was the battle area it was too plain so the lower half below the RR which was/is dense forest and marsh is a cut-and-paste of a section of my Goldap map then modified. Later I added the Baltic shoreline and although it's not playable area it does put the narrowness of the operation area into sharper focus and the distance from the coast to the hills is correct

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old May 27th, 2020, 12:51 AM

First Lieutenant

BTW, I dunno how accurate you want to make this, so feel free to ignore this, but in case you are interested...
I have the strength reports for the 11th Nordland Division from June 1944. They had 10 Stugs, 1 Panzer IV and 5 Panthers that were "ready for action". They also report 94 apcs and scout vehicles. All in all the infantry seems to have been organized as Panzergrenadiers, so that would probably be more correct than the SS Infanterie Units.
In terms of (non-MG) small arms:

Looks like there were no StG44s in the inventory at that time.
Old May 27th, 2020, 09:04 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts4EVER View Post
BTW, I dunno how accurate you want to make this, so feel free to ignore this, but in case you are interested...
I have the strength reports for the 11th Nordland Division from June 1944. They had 10 Stugs, 1 Panzer IV and 5 Panthers that were "ready for action". They also report 94 apcs and scout vehicles. All in all the infantry seems to have been organized as Panzergrenadiers, so that would probably be more correct than the SS Infanterie Units.
In terms of (non-MG) small arms:

Looks like there were no StG44s in the inventory at that time.
If you go back and read the introduction you will see I did say historically recreating this as one event is impossible and what's there is an attempt to recreate the feel. and tossing in panthers and 94 APC's would mean having to give the Russians more to maintain the balance and they are only 90 units from the max and then you have a monster NOBODY wants to play. As for StG44s, you show the inventory of ONE of the units represented and one units inventory is one units inventory not every unit. Not every "German" unit in the game has one and there are plenty of units with 98ks but I did add a few here and there to again....balance the game. In reality, the Russians had at least 8:1 odds in manpower.

This battle was a meatgrinder not a battle of manoeuvre, thrust and parry and they may have had HT and some may have been used in this battle but I didn't find any info to indicate they did

However, if you feel you can do better feel free to use the map

Old May 27th, 2020, 09:14 AM

First Lieutenant

I never said I "can do better". I think you sometimes read posts more hostile than they are. I just offered you this info I have in case you find it interesting and want to use it.
Old May 27th, 2020, 10:02 AM

Corporal

retiredgysgt is on a distinguished road

DRG we really aren't out to call you names or imply you did something wrong. Most of the time it is just info for info sake.
Old May 27th, 2020, 04:43 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I said if you can do better ( or differently if that sounds better to you ) feel free to use the map..... It was YOU that read it as a hostile threat. I did not write it that way

If someone is inspired to turn that into the mini-campaign I think it should then go right ahead and IDK where in hell the "we really aren't out to call you names or imply you did something wrong" comes from but it's not from me. I did not see any name-calling. I pointed out one unit's inventory is one unit's inventory not them all and there aren't that many units in that scenario with STG44 anyway and it is a BIT nitpicky to focus on that

EDIT

There are a higher proportion of units on the flanks of the hills than in the centre that have the STG and I did that to give them a bit more hitting power as I didn't want to add more units. So yes, if you check those flank units you will see a higher number of STG's but not so much in the centre where the main battle is.

Last edited by DRG; May 29th, 2020 at 10:36 AM..
Old June 19th, 2020, 12:07 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Did anyone play it ?

Old June 19th, 2020, 02:23 PM

First Lieutenant

I started, but haven't had the time to finish it yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ts4EVER For This Useful Post: