This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV

Old August 20th, 2007, 08:41 AM

First Lieutenant

Makinus is on a distinguished road
Default Warp Creation/Destruction Events

I´m building a small mod that, basicly, creates and closes warp points every turn, i just set the random events to only 2 : The first create a Warp Point and the Second closes a Warp Point....

If i understood it correctly, the game only selects one event a turn, so, every turn there will be a warp point being closed or a warp being created...

I also excluded all warp creating/closing components, so warp point can only be created or closed by the random events...

My doubts is how the AI would react to these changes, most importantly, if a part of the AI empire (i.e. one solar system) is separated from the bigger part, would it still develop that system (and even expand from it) or would is simply wither and die?

Other doubt that i have is about the warp creation processo: it is completely random or it´s more likely that a newlyu created warp will connect systems close to each other?

Thanks
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:47 AM

Corporal

Glyn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Warp Creation/Destruction Events

I once tried to create a mod using the open and close events. I was unable to get the events to work. It may be that I was doing something wrong, so I am interested in if you can get the events working.
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:18 PM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Makinus said: If i understood it correctly, the game only selects one event a turn, so, every turn there will be a warp point being closed or a warp being created...
At most one event per turn. The chance of an event on any particular turn will vary depending on the frequency picked in Game Setup.
Quote:
My doubts is how the AI would react to these changes, most importantly, if a part of the AI empire (i.e. one solar system) is separated from the bigger part, would it still develop that system (and even expand from it) or would is simply wither and die?
AI development won't particularly be affected by whether an individual system is connected. Whether it expands from an isolated system will depend entirely on whether the system either has a spaceyard or a planet with an open facility slot where it can build one.

If all of its systems manage to become unconnected from the rest of the map, the AI will try to research warp openers.

I think the biggest effect on the AI is going to be pathfinding. I'm not sure what AI ships will do if there's suddenly no path to where they were previously ordered to go.

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:17 PM

Captain

bearclaw is on a distinguished road

I created a mod called the WarpX mod a while back, with a very similar process. The only differance is that each turn 1, 3, 5, or 10 warp points would either open or close each turn. I was also able to create an effect that caused the lower numbers being much more common than higher numbers.

There was just one problem: the ability to create warp points in events is disabled. I've been asking for this to be activated in both SEIV and SEV for several years now (well, not for SEV for years, obviously, but since release). Perhaps if others start requesting it, it will happen, but as it stands now, the only thing that can be done with warp point abilities are:
- closing
- damaging
- cloaking
A+ Se+++ GdY $++ Fr- C+ Csp Sf* AuO M++ MpTFdAM St RTNH Pw++ Fq++ Nd++ Rp++ G++ Mm++ Bb++ L+ Tcp-
Old August 20th, 2007, 03:15 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

So you made a mod that would work if the effect worked, but it doesn't, so it doesn't actually do anything until Malfador makes the Warp Open/Close into effects that work in events?
Old August 20th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

I"m pretty sure close works, since it just has a single target which already exists. Open has to have two targets, and is hairier.
Old August 20th, 2007, 08:47 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
bearclaw said:
There was just one problem: the ability to create warp points in events is disabled.
Are you sure about this? Maybe i´m wrong, but i remember that sometimes warp points suddenly appear in game even if no one have warp opening tech...
Old August 21st, 2007, 01:01 AM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Uh, ya, actually now that you mention it, I remember that happening in my games, too.
Old August 21st, 2007, 02:05 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

I just ran a quick test; Warp Point - Closed definitely works, but Warp Point - Opened does nothing when it is chosen as the turn's event. 100% chance, just 2 events. The WPs in the galaxy slowly disappeared, but no new ones were created.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old August 21st, 2007, 09:14 AM

First Lieutenant

So i´ll need some other way to implement my idea.....

Maybe an altered SpaceMonsters race with only one kind of Super-Stealthed monster with warp opening capacities and huge movement rates (30 or so), i´ll leave the closing of the warp points to the events files...

Any suggestions on how i create the SpaceMonster so it don´t attack the other empires, the players (and the AI) can´t attack it (stealth?), and it roams the quadrant opening warps?

thanks