.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old September 1st, 2016, 09:08 PM

Corporal

jp10 is on a distinguished road
Default A0 as Aircraft

I was reading the pre-planned bombardment thread and it was noted that an off-board (reinforcement) A0 unit causes problems. I have a battle in which the proper A0 is in an airborne Command and Control aircraft and did not arrive on the ground till the end of the scenario. I therefore took the advice to have it on the map from turn one but changed it into an ABCCC plane.
It seems to be doing Ok so far in my play testing (I do not move it during the battle) but is there a hidden code handling problem that could cause problems?
Old September 2nd, 2016, 05:02 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A0 as Aircraft

The A0 should be an HQ as default, or at the outside a ground vehicle. Anything else is likely to cause problems.

The A0 is really just a comms link to your off-map units is all. If nearby it can help rally like a coy HQ. If left as the HQ unit class, it is a second class FOO.

All my HQ ever does is sit in the back well away from units that may attract AI arty or aircraft.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 05:04 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Potion Re: A0 as Aircraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp10 View Post
I was reading the pre-planned bombardment thread and it was noted that an off-board (reinforcement) A0 unit causes problems. I have a battle in which the proper A0 is in an airborne Command and Control aircraft and did not arrive on the ground till the end of the scenario. I therefore took the advice to have it on the map from turn one but changed it into an ABCCC plane.
It seems to be doing Ok so far in my play testing (I do not move it during the battle) but is there a hidden code handling problem that could cause problems?
You may consider an alternate solution similar to what I proposed in the Delayed Bombardment thread. I am uncomfortable making the A0 unit off-map or exposing it unnecessarily.

In this case, I suggest making a AbC3 unit a company then cross-attach FA units.

Further, you may not want to make a vehicle as a company leader, in that case insert a FWD Obs in the aircraft, make the FO a company and cross-attach FA units and the aircraft to the FO.

=====
Old September 2nd, 2016, 07:23 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
The A0 should be an HQ as default, or at the outside a ground vehicle. Anything else is likely to cause problems.

The A0 is really just a comms link to your off-map units is all. If nearby it can help rally like a coy HQ. If left as the HQ unit class, it is a second class FOO.

All my HQ ever does is sit in the back well away from units that may attract AI arty or aircraft.
Which is a major reason not to change the HQ to something easily destroyed & larger than size 0.
Unless you are talking a very small map it will never get detected. Place in cover away from other units roads & victory hexes and it will be unmollested.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 08:54 AM

Corporal

It is an Airborne invasion. I will revert the A0 to an HQ inside the plane and test it on-board along the map edge from game start and not move it.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 10:54 AM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It is an Airborne invasion. I will revert the A0 to an HQ inside the plane and test it on-board along the map edge from game start and not move it.
Just have A0 on board away from the action - think of it not as an actual unit but the radio connection to higher command.

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old September 2nd, 2016, 11:16 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well, you could parachute him in in a reasonably early turn, targeted where some others had dropped already. Or if there is a definite player edge (no enemy nearby, its not a drop to be surrounded by an enemy encampment say - just place him on the map edge. (He could always have jumped with the pathfinders, who you could represent with a couple of scout teams also pre-placed, having jumped in well before the drop via a sneaky HALO insertion).

If you really must, you could turn it into a light helicopter, but those tend to attract fire and go "boom", especially if the player is too aggressive with them.

Losing A0 is bad for force morale, and also for comms to off-map batteries etc. So best left as the default unit type, headquarters are not meant to "go Rambo". In the original SP1 where you only had 24 or so core elements, then it made a sort of sense to make the HQ a more "warry" type since your core was so small.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old September 2nd, 2016, 03:34 PM

Corporal

Good suggestions but unfortunately it is a historical battle and the A0 for this represents a General who did not land till the third hour which will be scenario#3 in the saga.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 05:17 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Good suggestions but unfortunately it is a historical battle and the A0 for this represents a General who did not land till the third hour which will be scenario#3 in the saga.
Then in Scenario #1 & #2 A0 is the radio link to that general and NOT a unit. Stuff it out of the way (but on board) and stuff will work much more smoothly...

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old September 2nd, 2016, 10:15 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Sounds like Vietnam ...
Make A0 and infantry/FO unit, buy your aircraft as B0. Allow A0 to arrive as a reinforcement any turn up to 50 (I use 49 myself to allow for error).

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein