This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old March 28th, 2006, 12:06 PM

BANNED USER

Mustang is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What are your favorite units in the game?

Quote:
PlasmaKrab said:

The question remains: are they really up to using that kind of thing in real combat conditions, are they experimenting for further dedicated shipborne systems (e.g. using the landlubbers' stabilization technology), or is that just a propaganda quirk to frighten the hell out of the Taiwanese?

It looks to me like just another prototype. It'd be terribly unsurvivable in combat (no anti-missile defenses, and when anything substantial hits this big floating target all of the howitzers and the ship sink). But I'm going to include it anyway just because it's cool.

Quote:

Or as far as the game is concerned, just take any old LC unit and stuff it full with any old vehicle-based weapons if you like!
They have plently of generic "ship" icons in the game. Have you ever looked at a Support Ship or Ammo Ship? I'll take one of those, load all the weapons mounts with BM-21s, and put it offshore somewhere as an auxiliary unit for the campaign. The Ammo Ship class might be a good idea to pick, as something carrying that many rockets is bound to be very volatile and ready to explode.
Old March 29th, 2006, 03:54 AM

Captain

PlasmaKrab is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Mustang said:
The Ammo Ship class might be a good idea to pick, as something carrying that many rockets is bound to be very volatile and ready to explode.
Look at the NVA "Support ship" f.e., it uses the ammo ship icon in the LCG class, and I think that's the best to use. Ammo carrier class would give it an unrealistic ability to resupply other units, and you have other ways of making it unsurviveable.
Old March 29th, 2006, 04:54 PM

BANNED USER

Mustang is on a distinguished road

No, I just like the explosion it makes. And it would likely be carrying lots of small arms reserves anyway, as the crew would be firing howitzers, machine guns, and other army ammunition.
Old April 15th, 2006, 09:14 AM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Buratino, SU-25 with FAE and Schmel infantry...hmmm, notice a pattern?

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old July 10th, 2006, 07:05 PM

Private

1Hussar is on a distinguished road

My favourite units (no order of preference) are:

MLRS - time the arrival of MLRS cluster munitions right so that you have 'bounding artillery' strikes, and you can keep squashing the enemy as they advance. That's a great tactic to employ when playing a meeting engagement. By the time the enemy reach the victory hexes (or even get close) so little is left that the remainder of your advance is essentially a mopping-up op.

Great anti-armour weapon, also great for wiping out clusters of infantry. But what's best of all is that MLRS units automatically respond with counter-battery fire, with great effect. Unfortunately MLRS does not exist in the real Canadian Army T0&E, so when playing Canada v some other country, I have to attach US forces (equipped with MLRS) as a substitute. I will be working soon on an OOB for a fictional, in-the-future Canadian Army which actually has some decent kit including MLRS.

M777 155mm howitzer - it's capable of lobbing cluster munitions and is fairly cheap to buy. It's a half-decent alternative to MLRS if your buy points are limited. Just don't expect to blast away wide swaths of enemy forces.

Leopard 2A6EX/Strv122 - Far and away my favourite tanks - superb fire control, excellent armour (only the M1A2 is better in this area), great mobility.

CV9040 IFV - The 40mm main gun on this Swedish-built IFV just destroys infantry in the open, most wheeled/older tracked APC's with first-round hits, some older tanks if hit obliquely or from the rear.

Centauro tank destroyer - This thing is fast and potent. Half-decent armour. It's an ideal tool for conducting rapid advances and exploiting the enemy's weak spots.