.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 20th, 2010, 02:32 PM

Private

WoodMan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What other games complement your Dominions 3?

At the moment only got Dom3, Distant Worlds and will have Blood Bowl Legendary Edition in 2 weeks.

Just watched that Minecraft trailer above, never heard of it before, but wow, from that trailer I'm really curious!
Old October 20th, 2010, 06:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

JonBrave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodMan View Post
At the moment only got Dom3, Distant Worlds and will have Blood Bowl Legendary Edition in 2 weeks.

Just watched that Minecraft trailer above, never heard of it before, but wow, from that trailer I'm really curious!
Distant Worlds is my next intended purchase. Will I be making a good decision?
Old October 20th, 2010, 09:07 PM

Private

Distant Worlds is fantastic Jon, if a bit rusty, but I highly recommend it.

The developer and publisher were really good with the community too, fixing pretty much everything they found and adding new features too (a couple of things I suggested personally were included!). But since they announced they were releasing an addon at around Christmas time they have oddly gone silent.
Old October 21st, 2010, 09:50 AM

Corporal

onomastikon is on a distinguished road

Excuse me for asking if I may, but a lot of water has flown under the bridge since SE-V was mentioned, and I would like a little follow-up detailed information if you would be so kind.

The context: I belong to the faction of people who took part in the Elemental Beta, who posted in the Elemental forums in July that the game was in no condition to be released, whose threads were locked, and who is still very dissapointed with a game he was awaiting a long time. I also belong to the minority of lurkers here who enjoy (primarily) SINGLE PLAYER games (besides Gandalf!). Love TBSs. Currently awaiting a playable version of Elemental, and enjoying, to some extent, some RPGs in the meantime. Recently DLed Sins of the Solar Empire and enjoying it, although it is RTS, as a SP game. But really looking for a nice TBS with GOOD SP fun. (Will be avoiding CivV; although I have enjoyed previous incarnations of the Civ series, I have never been able to finish more than 2 games, the last time was CivIV Beyond the Swords, which I liked in theory, but could not stand the end-game boredom of constantly building tanks (nothing else to do!) and the mechanic which limits all buildings in every city to 1, so that each and every city, with few exceptions, ends up being the same: 1 forge, 1 granary, 1 barracks, 1 temple, etc.)

So... The Question: I have read a number of reviews of SE-V, which looks promising. Sadly, most reviews indicate the high degree of buginess and the suboptimal AI.
But today marks its fourth year anniversary. I have not read any information on patches anywhere, but I trust this community greatly, and would like to know if you could tell me: Since October 2006, have patches greatly reduced the above-mentioned deficits of SE-V? Would you recommend it now as a nice SP alternative to the great MP-fun of dominions?

Thank you kindly in advance.
Old October 21st, 2010, 12:45 PM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by onomastikon View Post
Excuse me for asking if I may, but a lot of water has flown under the bridge since SE-V was mentioned, and I would like a little follow-up detailed information if you would be so kind.

The context: I belong to the faction of people who took part in the Elemental Beta, who posted in the Elemental forums in July that the game was in no condition to be released, whose threads were locked, and who is still very dissapointed with a game he was awaiting a long time. I also belong to the minority of lurkers here who enjoy (primarily) SINGLE PLAYER games (besides Gandalf!). Love TBSs. Currently awaiting a playable version of Elemental, and enjoying, to some extent, some RPGs in the meantime. Recently DLed Sins of the Solar Empire and enjoying it, although it is RTS, as a SP game. But really looking for a nice TBS with GOOD SP fun. (Will be avoiding CivV; although I have enjoyed previous incarnations of the Civ series, I have never been able to finish more than 2 games, the last time was CivIV Beyond the Swords, which I liked in theory, but could not stand the end-game boredom of constantly building tanks (nothing else to do!) and the mechanic which limits all buildings in every city to 1, so that each and every city, with few exceptions, ends up being the same: 1 forge, 1 granary, 1 barracks, 1 temple, etc.)

So... The Question: I have read a number of reviews of SE-V, which looks promising. Sadly, most reviews indicate the high degree of buginess and the suboptimal AI.
But today marks its fourth year anniversary. I have not read any information on patches anywhere, but I trust this community greatly, and would like to know if you could tell me: Since October 2006, have patches greatly reduced the above-mentioned deficits of SE-V? Would you recommend it now as a nice SP alternative to the great MP-fun of dominions?

Thank you kindly in advance.
You may find this interesting, its a quite lengthy discussion about SE5 and other 4x space games over at the Distant Worlds forum.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2553496
Old October 21st, 2010, 08:23 PM

Colonel

DonCorazon is on a distinguished road

Anyone try Civ 5 btw? Looks pretty similar to Civ 4 to me - other than the much hyped change to hexes. I don't play much RTS but still think Warlords Battlecry 3 is cool - good humor and epic feel. Nothing mindblowing on the strategy front there though but it can be addictive.

I haven't tried Distant Worlds but thought this review was hilarious here.
i crossed blades with the mightiest warriors of the golden age. i witnessed with sorrow the schism that led to the passing of legends. now my sword hangs in its scabbard, with nothing but memories to keep it warm.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 11:59 PM

Sergeant

Kojusoki is on a distinguished road

I played a few games in CIV V and I like it (mainly becouse of the new features, AI sucks completly).

However its way easier then the CIV IV is, it has some nice new impovments. Certainly the game is "faster" but each old fan of the series say that this version was made for those who find previous CIVs too sophisticated...

And all say its a beta, not a final product. Combat Ai sucks, there are some other issues regarding crashes etc.

To make a long story short: modders made this game more then playable (with mods its fun) and it will be "our" CIV when expansion packs will be released. Now its Civilization maybe not for children but for those who like "easy games"
Old October 26th, 2010, 01:01 AM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road

There are any good mods for Civ5 already?

I like complicated stragegies and I think that Civ5 is better than previous games when it comes to that. It's a bit like CBM for Dominions - it gets rid of some annoying stuff. I really like new culture, hexes and no-stacking.

AI is extremely bad though, bad enough that I don't play any more Civ games for now. I hope they fix it and also big-map happiness issues [and make AI work for happiness too].

LA Agartha guide
Old October 26th, 2010, 04:27 PM

Sergeant

Doo is on a distinguished road

Civ V is weird. Too early for any big mods yet, there are some tweak mods that make the game more enjoyable.

I don't understand how with all the quality mods for Civ IV that enhanced gameplay and UI, Civ V is released as a stripped down version of these mods with some different rules. I know this happens and I know why but geez it sucks when you can see the designers have already decided what the full game will be after expansions (and DLC) and then carve up the features so that some will be in the release and the rest to be purchased.

I purchased Civ V and have gone back to Civ IV Fall of Heaven and Rise of Mankind. I await the big Civ V mods with glee.

Last edited by Doo; October 26th, 2010 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: Monorail Cat told me to.
Old November 1st, 2010, 02:18 PM

Corporal

Jorus is on a distinguished road

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned VGAP 4. Sure, it's getting a bit long in the tooth, but it is (to me) the space 4X equivalent of Dom3;
- complex
- significant race differentiation
- turn based
- end game is equally time consuming
- same high quality graphics and audio
- SP is worse than Dom3, but MP is better (allies are recognized)

It's relatively bug-free (although I haven't tried it with Windows 7). Unfortunately it is an indie product whose designer has limited time for further development. Anyhow, if interested, the best place to start is probably vgap.drewhead.org/

Last edited by Jorus; November 1st, 2010 at 02:33 PM..