.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old March 17th, 2009, 09:51 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs vs. Vets, LA, CBM, Game Over.

I'll force host the last turn when I can before shutting the game down so that those who sent in a turn will have the opportunity to see the results of their efforts.
Old March 17th, 2009, 10:04 AM

Sergeant

Lavaere is on a distinguished road

Awww, I was still walking my demons and fanatics through Gath lands to the front.
Old March 17th, 2009, 12:30 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Where is the link to the noob forum? I'm curious

FYI, its traditional to state who won the game in the thread title once victory has been achieved. Just to give some love to the winner(s).
Old March 17th, 2009, 12:47 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

The link is on the first post of the thread. But since I have the noob forum open anyway I'll just link it for you here.

http://teamnoob.forumotion.net/forum.htm
Old March 17th, 2009, 08:51 PM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs vs. Vets, Game Over, Noobs are Victorious! Hail Noobs!

That forum is great! I had no idea you guys were so organized. Gosh, all we vets did was email each other every once in a while. Stuff like, "Why the hell can't you hold that chokepoint. Get your *** in gear man."

I don't think that was ever actually said, but you get the idea. We played this game very non-chalantly, and paid the price.

And, to answer some of your queries, yes, Ermor and Pan could have held out for quite a while, and dished out some pain. In the end, we just realized there was no point in it. We were going to lose, regardless.

I occasionally post something useful.
Old March 18th, 2009, 06:26 AM

General

Yeah, I think having a place to organize ourselves and discuss battle plans helped us in that game enormously. If he hadn't had such a high level of communication and help between ourselves it could have gone a lot worse for us. There were still some things that didn't quite work as well as I would have liked, but all in all the forum far exceeded the use I had intended it for and was definitely a key part of our victory.

Well, that and two very big breaks. The first was that incredible stroke of luck when mictlan's army was decimated by my pd, allowing gath to sack his capitol. The second was abysia's loss of his god to ulm and his prophet. Actually that prophet should probably be counted as a lucky break himself, his contribution to the defense of ulm's lands was enormous. Without him the game could well have gone quite differently.

I want to know what ermor had at the end to contend with me. I was sending a large army of infantry up, to support a good number of celestial masters scripted to spam cleansing waters at him, combined with a large number of spirit masters (2n 1d) that I needed to give me supplies and were ready to cast mass dust to dust. I was pretty confident that I could defeat the same army pyg had defeated... but then I was expecting there to be something rather more nasty in there.
Old March 19th, 2009, 01:30 PM

BANNED USER

pyg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimius Severus View Post
I'll force host the last turn when I can before shutting the game down so that those who sent in a turn will have the opportunity to see the results of their efforts.
Is this really going to happen? It looks to me like the game went away already. *sniff* I'll never get to see that final battle of Askuth -vs- Mysteria. Askuth probably won anyway right Lingchih?

Overall this game was great fun. Thanks everyone!
Old March 19th, 2009, 02:09 PM

General

I don't know about anyone else... I received the final turn for me sometime after receiving the message that the game was ending. Not quite sure how that happened, but it did. Unfortunately your area of the island was too well-patrolled for my spies to live very long and I did not see that battle to send you a turn file.
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:23 PM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimius Severus View Post
Is this really going to happen? It looks to me like the game went away already. *sniff* I'll never get to see that final battle of Askuth -vs- Mysteria. Askuth probably won anyway right Lingchih?

Overall this game was great fun. Thanks everyone!
Oh, I wasn't going to send Mysteria against that beast again. I was going to use sacred Black Centaurs to kill it.

I occasionally post something useful.
Old March 21st, 2009, 03:14 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road

I wonder what you guys think of this idea, posted on the victorious nations thread:

"I'm considering running my Noobs vs Vets series on a regular basis, game 1 focusing on battle tactics, formations, short term strategy and game 2 focusing on longer term strategic planning, magic, and development. This is intended to be something of a public service boot camp curriculum for noobs, vets pitching in to train, teach fresh green noobs the game. Winning or losing for the vets is not the main goal.

Would it be possible to come to some sort of an agreement, as an inducement(or rather reward) to get more Hall of Famer's and expert vets to join, to credit them or count it as a 1/2 victory for HOF ranking purposes, irregardless of whether they win or lose?

It would be a noble thing to do. Just an idea."

Noobs could take both "courses" twice if they wished, or once if they want to. Of course it would depend on the supply of fresh green noobs in the MP Dominions arena (hopefully something that is not diminishing too much) .