.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Air Assault Task Force- Save $7.00
Approaching Infinity- Save $7.00

   







Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 11th, 2018, 12:38 PM
shahadi's Avatar

shahadi shahadi is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
Posts: 830
Thanks: 489
Thanked 234 Times in 165 Posts
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Confused Chance of Arrival in Unit Reinforcement

Please explain chance of arrival in unit reinforcement. Is the chance of arrival (10…100) applied only to the turn, or could the unit appear at a later turn? My expectation is the chance of arrival only applies to the indicated turn.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old December 11th, 2018, 12:55 PM
zovs66's Avatar

zovs66 zovs66 is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 348
Thanks: 296
Thanked 212 Times in 98 Posts
zovs66 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Chance of Arrival in Unit Reinforcement

It's in the manual, but if you set it to arrive on turn 2 (or whatever) and then set it to say 75% then on turn 2 it will arrive on a roll less then 75%, and if it does not make the roll, it will check on turn 3, rinse, repeat and so on.
__________________
ASL
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zovs66 For This Useful Post:
  #3  
Old December 11th, 2018, 12:57 PM
zovs66's Avatar

zovs66 zovs66 is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 348
Thanks: 296
Thanked 212 Times in 98 Posts
zovs66 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Chance of Arrival in Unit Reinforcement

Per the manual:

Set reinforcement turn for this unit, at the current hex. Set reinforcement chance, this is a percentage chance of arrival per turn, NOT a one shot chance. Therefore a reinforcement with a 10 per cent chance which does not arrive on the due turn will test again on each subsequent turn after its due turn as and until it makes the chance roll or the game ends, whichever comes first.
__________________
ASL
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zovs66 For This Useful Post:
  #4  
Old December 11th, 2018, 01:03 PM
shahadi's Avatar

shahadi shahadi is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
Posts: 830
Thanks: 489
Thanked 234 Times in 165 Posts
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Chance of Arrival in Unit Reinforcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by zovs66 View Post
It's in the manual, but if you set it to arrive on turn 2 (or whatever) and then set it to say 75% then on turn 2 it will arrive on a roll less then 75%, and if it does not make the roll, it will check on turn 3, rinse, repeat and so on.
Thanks for the reference and your answer.

Well, back to the drawing board. The point of this exercise is to make a player respond to different situations each time he or she (shuiir) plays a scenario, rather than a static scenario, I am playing with making them dynamic.


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old December 11th, 2018, 02:04 PM
zovs66's Avatar

zovs66 zovs66 is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 348
Thanks: 296
Thanked 212 Times in 98 Posts
zovs66 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Chance of Arrival in Unit Reinforcement

Well to me the game as is, is dynamic, if you set it to arrive on turn 2 at 20% there is an 80% chance it won't arrive on turns 2-27, etc. If your thinking of making something more like if player 1 takes object 3 then trigger player 2 (or 1) unit X to arrive at location x,x at xx% then yeah that is not going to happen.

But I would say that the default way is more than sufficient and flexible as is.
__________________
ASL
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zovs66 For This Useful Post:
  #6  
Old December 11th, 2018, 09:44 PM
Imp's Avatar

Imp Imp is offline
Lieutenant General
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Uk
Posts: 2,913
Thanks: 65
Thanked 381 Times in 308 Posts
Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Chance of Arrival in Unit Reinforcement

Rough guide the lower the chance the larger the range.
Rough guess
20% chance > by turn 3 a bit over 50% chance it will turn up.
10% increases the range dramatically around 27% chance of turning up on turn 3.
Turn 6 will be around 50% chance of turning up.
So 10% probably gives a good likelihood of turning up between turns 5-9.
You could do the maths if want accurate chances.
__________________
John
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Imp For This Useful Post:
  #7  
Old December 12th, 2018, 05:43 AM
zovs66's Avatar

zovs66 zovs66 is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 348
Thanks: 296
Thanked 212 Times in 98 Posts
zovs66 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Chance of Arrival in Unit Reinforcement

John, not sure where your rough guess and maths come from, but it pretty clear i the manual how this works (unless I am missing something).


Quote:
Set reinforcement turn for this unit, at the current hex. Set reinforcement chance, this is a percentage chance of arrival per turn, NOT a one shot chance. Therefore a reinforcement with a 10 per cent chance which does not arrive on the due turn will test again on each subsequent turn after its due turn as and until it makes the chance roll or the game ends, whichever comes first.
__________________
ASL
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zovs66 For This Useful Post:
  #8  
Old December 12th, 2018, 06:49 AM

geoff geoff is offline
Private
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 38
Thanks: 23
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
geoff is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Chance of Arrival in Unit Reinforcement

This is probability theory. If there's a 10% chance of the reinforcement arriving, then in theory after five turns there is a 50% chance that the reinforcement will have arrived at some point in turns 1 through 5, although the chance of it arriving on any specific turn is still 10%.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to geoff For This Useful Post:
  #9  
Old December 12th, 2018, 08:14 AM
zovs66's Avatar

zovs66 zovs66 is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 348
Thanks: 296
Thanked 212 Times in 98 Posts
zovs66 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Chance of Arrival in Unit Reinforcement

Thanks for clarifying that geoff.
__________________
ASL
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old December 12th, 2018, 10:25 AM
Imp's Avatar

Imp Imp is offline
Lieutenant General
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Uk
Posts: 2,913
Thanks: 65
Thanked 381 Times in 308 Posts
Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Chance of Arrival in Unit Reinforcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by zovs66 View Post
John, not sure where your rough guess and maths come from, but it pretty clear i the manual how this works (unless I am missing something).


Quote:
Set reinforcement turn for this unit, at the current hex. Set reinforcement chance, this is a percentage chance of arrival per turn, NOT a one shot chance. Therefore a reinforcement with a 10 per cent chance which does not arrive on the due turn will test again on each subsequent turn after its due turn as and until it makes the chance roll or the game ends, whichever comes first.
It is probability its not as simple as Geoff quotes 5 tries at 10% does not give 50%, wish it did I would place loads of bets then.
Roulette bet on black / red 50% chance second try would be 100% I cannot lose unless 0 comes up.

Chances of it turning up each individual turn remains the same at 20% but the probability that will occur increases with each turn is what I am saying.

The chance for it to appear on a certain turn has to take into account the chances it failed to appear on the previous turns.
At 10% Turn 2 only has a 90% chance of happening because 10% of the time it will appear on turn 1 etc etc.

Because of this each turn the probability of it turning up increases not doing the maths but at 20% the chances of it not turning up by turn 10 is remote, by turn 27 you probably have more chance of getting hit by a car.
That's 26 times it failed to turn up with a 1 in 5 (20%) chance every turn. Law of averages says it should have appeared over 5 times by then.
__________________
John
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Imp For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, Shrapnel Games, Inc. - All Rights Reserved.