.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old August 5th, 2008, 04:17 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

GrudgeBringer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scripted spells.

I have a pretty easy question for most but its been bugging me for a while.

If its in the manual I can't find it.

It would seem to me that if you script a 'Passive' spell (sermon of courage, self regeneration ect) that it would last all battle until castor is killed.

Where 'Active spells (Lightning bolt, twist of fate, Banishment ect) would last 1 round.

Is this correct and is there a list of which are consdiered Passive and which are active?

I am starting to get into bigger battles and magic is a vital part. This seems to be the ground work of the whole thing to me.

Any help would be appreciated...Thanks!!!
Old August 5th, 2008, 04:31 PM

First Lieutenant

K is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scripted spells.

The general rule is that damage is an instant effect that takes place when the spell it cast, and any extra effect from a spell (like Decay, or burning from fire, etc) last either for the rest of the battle or until some kind of save. For example, Banefire's damage is instant, but if the the Decay effect hits then it lasts the rest of the battle.

Some spells let a unit get rid of the effect. Being set on fire, chilled by certain frost effects, and being tangled in vines are all common effects like this.

Buff spells generally last the rest of the battle. The exception is "Battlefield" or BE spells that affect the battlefield and not the troops (look for an icon on the top right ogf the battle screen). These spells last until the end of the battle OR until the caster is killed. An example is Quagmire.

There are buff spells that only affect all your troops and not the enemy troops, or just enemy troops, and these last even if the mage is killed. Will of the Fates is an example.