.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 7th, 2012, 12:55 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conquest of Elysium 3 dev log

I dont know if its why it was done. But I sure use it that way.
Old February 7th, 2012, 01:05 AM

Sergeant

samoht is on a distinguished road

Using the Druid/Baron alliance as an example, could the Baron player take away the Druid's forests if he moved through them?
Old February 7th, 2012, 03:01 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Yes, if there are no troops there, the baron will deflag the forest when he moves through.
Old February 7th, 2012, 03:56 AM

Corporal

onomastikon is on a distinguished road

preordered!
Old February 7th, 2012, 07:10 AM

Corporal

ArkhanTheBlack is on a distinguished road

Do the summoning rituals always summon the same type of creature or do they vary?

Do the recruitment sites have some alignment preconditions such as certain troops not joining super evil characters like high cultists?

On a side note, I've seen that CoE2 had elve classes in it, but both were removed although the dwarves remained. I wonder if the designers have something against elves?! Actually it would have been nice to have a 'good' character class for a change. Most of the other classes seem to be just different grades of evil.
Old February 7th, 2012, 07:50 AM

Private

CoyoteTheClever is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkhanTheBlack View Post
Do the summoning rituals always summon the same type of creature or do they vary?

Do the recruitment sites have some alignment preconditions such as certain troops not joining super evil characters like high cultists?

On a side note, I've seen that CoE2 had elve classes in it, but both were removed although the dwarves remained. I wonder if the designers have something against elves?! Actually it would have been nice to have a 'good' character class for a change. Most of the other classes seem to be just different grades of evil.
That's kind of the thing with the Dominions and Elysium-verse though. It has never been about good versus evil, its been about mythological and sometimes real creatures as well as ancient civilizations fighting each other in a death match of awesomeness.

What exactly makes elves "good" anyways? They are still out to kill everyone and conquer the land like the rest.
Old February 7th, 2012, 08:13 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Summoning rituals summon a random creature from a predetermined set. E.g. the Necromancer lesser summon can summon anything from this list:
- Dispossessed Spirit (variable number)
- Ghoul (variable number)
- Dire Wolf (1)
- Ghost Warrior (variable number)
- Spectral Horseman (variable number)
- Shade (variable number)
- Mound King (commander, 1)

There were a few more, I think.

So you are not guaranteed anything when you summon. Some of the summonings can be a complete crapshoot, you can get utterly useless stuff or something that can turn the tide for you.

As far as elves being removed from CoE3, there is nothing to say that they could not come back in some form, but rather as one nation than two. And the idea that they would be somehow inherently good is not what I'd bet on. The CoE2 Elf Queen was more of the fairy court, benevolent kind of class, but the Elf King was the king of the Dark Elves and I'd hardly characterize him as "good".

I do expect that patches will add additional classes. The first addition is likely to be the Cardinal of El, since the High Priestess class description features him rather prominently as the main opponent of the cult of Baal.
Old February 7th, 2012, 09:07 AM

Corporal

ArkhanTheBlack is on a distinguished road

Well, elves have their origins in the norse mytholgy, therefore it's not something Tolkien just came up out of the blue.
I think they were called Ljosalfar, "Light elves" and kind of related to the Vanir gods which were more into creation than the bad *** Aesir warrior gods. The evil dark elves of D&D and Warhammer were if I remember right more a product of a misinterpretation since with the dark elves were actually the dwarves meant. Of course there's no exact yes or no since a lot of things in mythology allow different interpretations.

However, with Tolkiens impact, the elves generally have more of a tendency to higher moral standards which can be more interpreted more of less as 'good'. Which in gameplay terms could mean that they are less likely to use blood sacrifice and such.

On the other side, elves could be added with neutral alignment and the player decides if he plays them more like high, wood or dark elves.
Old February 7th, 2012, 11:14 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I started a new thread about some game variation ideas that the game supports so far.
Just based on the nations and possible alliances.
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=48335
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 7th, 2012, 11:24 AM

Private

CoyoteTheClever is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well, elves have their origins in the norse mytholgy, therefore it's not something Tolkien just came up out of the blue.
I think they were called Ljosalfar, "Light elves" and kind of related to the Vanir gods which were more into creation than the bad *** Aesir warrior gods. The evil dark elves of D&D and Warhammer were if I remember right more a product of a misinterpretation since with the dark elves were actually the dwarves meant. Of course there's no exact yes or no since a lot of things in mythology allow different interpretations.

However, with Tolkiens impact, the elves generally have more of a tendency to higher moral standards which can be more interpreted more of less as 'good'. Which in gameplay terms could mean that they are less likely to use blood sacrifice and such.

On the other side, elves could be added with neutral alignment and the player decides if he plays them more like high, wood or dark elves.
Well, as Edi says, even the Elf Queen was more of a fairy court sort of elf than a post-Tolkein kind of elf. The thing with fairies is that even though they have what you'd call "high moral standards", they wouldn't be considered human moral standards. The tradition I'm most familiar with is the sidhe and unsidhe (Or seele and unseelie sometimes), which is less "good and evil" courts and more "dangerous and even more dangerous". Even the "good" faries sometimes kidnap children and take them to their realm. And if you anger one, you are pretty much in huge trouble.