.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old April 26th, 2012, 03:26 PM

Corporal

TigerBlood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Blood and Booze - (Running)

I have no Zmey counters and will likely get curbstomped before I can produce any effective counters. Marverni is going AI.
Old April 26th, 2012, 06:10 PM

Sergeant

Szumo is on a distinguished road

Paralyze spam from your druids should be good enough against Zmeys.

And mass Stellar Cascades will most certainly work against them.
Not to mention Gifts from Heaven.
The Following User Says Thank You to Szumo For This Useful Post:
Old April 27th, 2012, 04:20 AM

Private

Bennett is on a distinguished road

To TigerBlood

I think it is very disrespectful to me (as your foe) and to all the other players to simply walk out of the game like you have done. Especially when you still had significant resources left to fight on with IMO (plenty of mages and troops, and last turn you had 16 provinces, 5 forts, 1193 gold income, 43 gem income, which is a lot of resources).

I only recently started playing multi player games, and I did so for no other reason than wanting to fight against human opponents rather than computer ones. As I can do that anytime by playing single player games. This is the only game I am playing on these forums, but I know that the other forum I am playing on (Dom3mods) takes a very strict stance against players turning themselves computer controlled. I only hope that you are an exception to the normal players on these forums.

Sure your position was tough, but you are not going to learn anything by just quitting when things get difficult, and there are several counters to the three! Zmeys I was using against you in that army. As if they were such a problem to you why did you not trade for a Storm Staff with one of the three strong Air nations still in the game? Or use the Air mages I have seen that you have to cast Storm? As Storm seems to shut down a Zmey very quickly from what I understand, so you had available at least two easy options to deal with them. (and the ones that Szumo mentions)

Next time can you please have some consideration for the other players who are playing in the same game as you, and remember that some players are only playing multi player games because they do not want to play against computer controlled nations.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bennett For This Useful Post:
Old April 27th, 2012, 04:31 AM

Second Lieutenant

Admiral_Aorta is an unknown quantity at this point

Anoyone who quits a game while being in that good a position over a bit of raiding isn't worth playing with, really. The simple solution is to not include him in games in the future.
Old April 27th, 2012, 07:25 AM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerBlood View Post
I have no Zmey counters and will likely get curbstomped before I can produce any effective counters. Marverni is going AI.
All the druids can cast gifts of heaven. ALL of them. This nation has 2 research targets. Summon earthpower (conj 3) and Gifts of heaven (evo 5). That make them kill basically everything.

(Getting thaum 1 for communions, and alt 1 for eagle eyes, and earth grip is a bonus. But you only need conj 1 to hold a SC rush (tangle vines) and your own troops can stop a lot of sacred rushes).

Evo 1 gives the star gazers star fires, (also for the S random gutauters. (AN damage, always nice). And the water random gutauters slime. evo 2 gives vine arrow, so you can use your nature gutauters for that. So early game you only need evo 1 or conj 1.

This is all year 2 stuff. Or year 3 if you have some bad luck.

And even in the late game, 2 gutuaters with pd can use tangle vines to hold fast a zmey. Or a druid can cast alt 2 earth meld to stop the zmeys. (so you need alt 2 or conj 1).

Thaum has soul slay, mind burn, paralyze etc. All castable with your druids.

So unless the only thing you researched is construction, enchantment or blood. You should have ways of stopping the zmey. And every zmey killed is a large F gem investment removed.

You really have none of this?

Zmeys have no way of getting quickness without mage support, so a mage casting holdspells inside a large block of infantry is going to stop the zmey. Heck you only need 2 gutauters. As you probably have an earth blessing. Put them both in a large block of pd, have one cast blessing, the other tangle vines, and keep spamming tangle vines until the zmey is dead. (beaten to death by the pd).
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453
Old April 27th, 2012, 08:13 AM

Corporal

Zmey's are not the major issue. They are preventing me from dealing with the the 100+ Jaguar warriors and chaff backed by a unique and other mages. Plus at least 1 tart raider from mictlan.

No disrespect to Ghoul either, his Dai Oni have ripped the hell out of my defensive force for the last 15 turns or so.

I can't focus my attention on one while ignoring the other. Gifts From Heaven, paralyse and other spells simply will not cut it, as I lack the resources to spam against Mictlan due to attrition from Yomi. I have 3 druids capable of dropping a turn 1 Gifts from Heaven. Even if I can get them to a battlefield with a chaff screen to stop them getting killed by Zmey, they're going to get taken out or suffer a forced rout by Mictlan's other mages in short order.

Call it disrespectful if you want. I call it pragmatic. I'm not going to be able to prevent defeat and I'm not going to learn anything by getting overrun. I overextended against Yomi and Miclan hit hard. Continuing to submit turns will not alter the outcome.
Old April 27th, 2012, 08:17 AM

Second Lieutenant

So why didn't you tell us you couldn't cope and look for a sub?
Old April 27th, 2012, 08:48 AM

Corporal

Why would I ask someone to sub when I have already been defeated? This is not an academic debate, it's simple math. Checkmate in 5 moves, so to speak. I could not change the outcome if I wished to. Why would someone want to step into that position?

I assure you, Marverni's position is not salvageable. If I had the resources to put up a good fight, I would stay in the game. Unfortunately, I have lost significant resources already and will not be able to recover sufficient force in time to deal with 2 hosile nations.

Getting your panties in a twist because I had to courtesy to explain why I was going AI, instead of simply bailing, is ridiculous.
Old April 27th, 2012, 11:05 AM

Private

Bennett is on a distinguished road

To TigerBlood

You are not being pragmatic, you are being selfish. This game is not like chess where when you have no peaces you can do nothing but wait for checkmate. We have only had two battles so far, and I have not battled against the majority of your forces yet (according to the graphs). Plus I am a new player and so certainly capable of making mistakes (I know this as every turn I can see many mistakes I made with the orders I did). And most importantly there are other nations in the game so that could mean many different outcomes are possible to our war, either by me being attacked using up my resources, or by someone attacking you to get your lands before I do, and end up fighting me in the process, giving you a chance to fight back. Saying you can not prevent defeat at such an early stage in our war is simply not possible to do given all the variables. You can say your chances are limited, but after just two battles you can not be as certain about the final outcome as you are claiming to be. (I don't see how anyone can at such an early stage and when so much can happen to effect the result)

If all players involved in sporting/gaming competitions simply gave up and conceeded defeat the moment they had to play a difficult match or game, then there would not be all the many stories of underdogs overcoming the odds to win famous victories against superior opposition. So if as you say you will not learn nothing by defeat then are you saying everyone should also give up and become computer controlled once they have lost a few fights. Or give up anytime something is difficult. I am sorry but that makes no sense, as every sport or game I know of you always learn more from losing than winning. So I think that comment you made does nothing other than highlight your selfish nature as a player.

So I am sorry but you are wrong, and I think you have been very disrespectful to me and the other players in this game, regardless of what you personally think. As it is other people that must judge your actions, you do not get to judge your own. As you have now left me to fight against a computer player, which is neither fun or why I want to play multi player games (or why I decided to offer myself as a substitute player in this game). But you did not consider this before making your decision to become computer controlled, as you only thought of yourself when deciding.

I do not want to have arguments with people on the forum, but I do not see why or how you can just do as you want and mess the game up for another player (or players) when you feel like it. Nobody should be able to do that when they feel like it. I just hope other players on these forums read these posts of yours and decide to stop you playing in their games as a result of your selfish and disrespectful behaviour here (as Admiral_Aorta wisely suggests). While it is obvious that Dominions 3 does not have the biggest gaming community on the internet, from what I can see I think there are certainly enough players around so that losing players like you will be a good thing rather than a bad one. There are plenty of real time gaming forums filled with players with your attitude, so may I suggest you go there as you will feel more at home with other players of your type.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bennett For This Useful Post:
Old April 27th, 2012, 06:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

but you see, the math facts clearly indicate that i will lose and therefore,