Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old October 5th, 2011, 04:45 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road
Default Swedish MBT LAW

circa 2011. In game only.

What's your opinion on it? It just feels a bit too accurate under all circumstances and distances. In my experience I would guess about 90% accuracy, out of which another 90% is kills no matter what the target.

Is it just me who sees it as too good?
Old October 5th, 2011, 10:19 AM

Sergeant

dmnt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Swedish MBT LAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdll View Post
circa 2011. In game only.

What's your opinion on it? It just feels a bit too accurate under all circumstances and distances. In my experience I would guess about 90% accuracy, out of which another 90% is kills no matter what the target.

Is it just me who sees it as too good?
Well, it's a mixture between an RPG and a AT missile. I would consider that's it's too good when it's on the opposite side but fair enough when my troops have them. Just like those TI tanks or cluster bombings they have adjusted the power balance and players need to react. Of course the price (in points) must reflect the effectiveness of them.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmnt For This Useful Post:
Old October 5th, 2011, 11:09 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

I don't know, they seem too good. Even if I accept they can destroy everything they hit, the hit ratio feels too high.
It's not a huge issue, I am just wondering if I am the only one feeling this, or perhaps I am just unlucky lol.
Old October 5th, 2011, 02:27 PM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road

That thing has got an enormous warhead! Size 8, and 100 Heat Pen. No wonder it seems to kill everything it hits(and it hits a lot because of the 15acc + good base experience)Compare it to other "similar" weapons, such as AT4(Not the atgm, the LAW) or the SMAW for example. It IS powerful, but it may just be like that IRL.
Old October 5th, 2011, 03:40 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCaMpWiThAWP View Post
That thing has got an enormous warhead! Size 8, and 100 Heat Pen. No wonder it seems to kill everything it hits(and it hits a lot because of the 15acc + good base experience)Compare it to other "similar" weapons, such as AT4(Not the atgm, the LAW) or the SMAW for example. It IS powerful, but it may just be like that IRL.

It's a TA inertial system.

Top attack means that it usually hits the top armour - which is rather lethal, no matter the warhead size. That will be the primary reason it's killing AFV. It's a 150mm warhead derived from the BILL ATGM (according to Wiki so YMMV )

Since it's inertial - if the firer moves even one hex, the accuracy is severely degraded, two+ and it goes down further. Moral - it's a good defensive weapon, or if used to stalk victims, taking the shot at the halt. Not so good if the grunts have to move & shoot.

If you think there are grunts with the weapon at point X - then don't close with AFV, use leg infantry instead. And drench point X in HE fire while you do so. Range is also rather short at 600m, so your high value AFV should not be nearer than that to point X in any case (not without dismounted screens out in front anyway).

Javelin (the ATGM, not the MANPADS) is a much more serious threat, with its 2 Km range and T/A attack profile + thermal sights. I could have 5 NLAW teams for the price of the javelin, but usually the javelin would be what I spent points on (plus access to ammo resupply). NLAW has ordinary night vision of 15 or so, and so can be blinded with smoke, unlike Javelin. NLAW/MBT LAW will usually reveal itself by shooting at such short range and have a short, if interesting (in the Chinese proverb sense) life - especially if you have a dismount screen to spot the beggars, indirect HE on tap, and some MBT and IFV (with TI sights) sitting back in overwatch at 13+ hexes. So the IA for a revealed NLAW threat for APC/IFV is to immediately pop smoke dischargers I would think, while dialling up an arty smoke mission.

The Javelin team will usually get a few rounds off before being localised, and you can usually then get them into a little jeep/baby APC and offski before the HE starts to fall, because of the ability to engage at a decent range. Then resupply, relocate, rinse and repeat.

Andy
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old October 5th, 2011, 05:26 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Thanks, yeah I know tactics, it's just that I find them annoying lol.
Especially when you are in a hurry or when a single infantry unit with this weapon manages to slip undetected, and in a singe turn wipes out 3 MBT. More than once. lol

The Javelin are fine, though when I can I tend to choose TOW-2B. I am weird like that