The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old September 29th, 2004, 01:34 PM

Corporal

Arakiel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What is the etymology of your moniker?

Quote:
Raging Deadstar said:
Put Bluntly, there are people on this forum who are Schizophrenic. I won't name them as It's their life and it shouldn't be talked about without consent. It's not us super-analysing anything, it's the fact you could be offending somebody here who has Schizophrenia.

To name one of these people: Me. I'm not offended by remarks like that but it is annoying when people inadvertently say something not true about the condition. I'm just saying be careful what you say on those kind of topics, If arguments erupt it spoils the community, and we rarely have them here.

Whatever man, I'm really not interested in arguing over it. Let's just say that I don't prescribe to the "Don't say anything or you might offend someone" level of PC behavior and call it a day. I'd much rather talk about SE.
Old September 29th, 2004, 01:58 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

AMF is on a distinguished road

I applaud your grammatically correct use of "an" in front of "historian"

Honestly.

So few people use correct grammar anymore.

Quote:
Chronon said:
A "chronon" is a unit of time with nice science fiction ring to its name. Since I'm an historian and a fan of science fiction, I am fascinated by times past, present, and future. So it seemed a perfect fit.
Old September 29th, 2004, 01:59 PM

Major

Aiken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Raging Deadstar said:
Put Bluntly, there are people on this forum who are Schizophrenic. I won't name them as It's their life and it shouldn't be talked about without consent. It's not us super-analysing anything, it's the fact you could be offending somebody here who has Schizophrenia.

We have people with some disabilities, does it mean that I can't say anything about my health condition?

Somebody can have problems with weight, so no conversations about fat food?

etc etc etc

Man, that beats everything...
Old September 29th, 2004, 02:02 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
alarikf said:
That is not correct... unless you don't ever pronounce the "h"? Would you say "an hat" or "an house?" I sure hope not...
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old September 29th, 2004, 02:04 PM

Brigadier General

Raging Deadstar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
aiken said:
We have people with some disabilities, does it mean that I can't say anything about my health condition?

Somebody can have problems with weight, so no conversations about fat food?

etc etc etc

Man, that beats everything...
Actually it was the fact he completely mixed up two different conditions, as Narf pointed out below. This all started with the media wrongly using the word and you'd be suprised how many people make the same mistake, which can cause hell I can tell you, Ignorance breeds Ignorance. Try and tell someone you're schizophrenic and too many think you are some "crazy person" who has multiple personalities.

In Other words, discuss it all you like, but please if you want to use somewhat inappropriate references get them correct at least!

But lets not hijack the thread too much.

Fyron: "An Historian" I think is correct, it's one of those words I think, at least I do when speaking.
Old September 29th, 2004, 02:09 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

AMF is on a distinguished road

Well, I don't make the rules, I just nitpick.

But, having said that, I might be hoist by my own petard, as there is a conflict in this regard. I probably learned the British Version, the American Version is probably "A historian"

EDIT: And I certainly didn't use commans properly or sparingly in the above sentence!

Quote:
Imperator Fyron said:
Quote:
alarikf said:
That is not correct... unless you don't ever pronounce the "h"? Would you say "an hat" or "an house?" I sure hope not...
Old September 29th, 2004, 02:25 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

That could well be it. Around here, the "h" is pronounced, so it makes no sense to use "an," as "an" is for use before vowel sounds. I would say "an herb," as I do not pronounce the "h" in "herb." Don't you just love the English language?
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old September 29th, 2004, 02:35 PM

Brigadier General

Raging Deadstar is on a distinguished road

Ahh, I'm reading through my old Posts, and A few friends have kind of said I Over-reacted to this thread, maybe I have, It's one of those dam "pet-peeves" I have. But either way i guess I over-reacted.

So Arakiel, Sorry about that, And not everyone on the forum can be as much of a git on these things As I can.
Old September 29th, 2004, 02:59 PM

Colonel

Loser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
kerensky said:
My name coems from the massive back history files provided in Mechwarriors 2, which unfortunatley will not work on my computer. I believe he was a high ranking general in one of the Inner Sphere houses...
Kerensky was the leader of the non-Bolshevik portion of the Russian Revolution, later exiled into the U.S. (better of than many of his compatriots, but he still lost).

In the Battletech Universe, which is much more defined in the old Mechwarrior RPG books and the novels (Read the Stackpole ones, they are the best.), Kerensky was the general who defeated the usurper who killed off the Last ruler of the great Star League. He was the head of the military at the time, and so most all who didn't follow the usurper went with him in the war.

After he defeated the usurper he determined that the Star League was dead and that the separate houses of the Inner Sphere would war against eachother with no end in sight. Since he was still in control of the majority of the military (Roman general style), he decided to leave, in an attempt to limit the ability of the others to make war.

We don't hear about him again until the Clans show up, who are descended from the self-exiled military and hold Kerensky and some of his descendants up as godlike heroes.

Also, the Black Widow, a mechwarrior of great renown, was named Natasha Kerensky.

My own name is from staying up too late playing Civ2. I began to name my people The Losers because it seemed funny at the time and it grew to be the handle I favor for games.

I especially like it because of the way people would react to it at LAN parties.
Old September 29th, 2004, 03:46 PM

Captain

Gandalph is on a distinguished road

Being a Tolkien lover, when I first started a web presence back in the 80's, I attempted to use Gandalf and found it was in use. I changed the "f" to a "ph" and voila. I use the nick of "Gandalph Wizard" in daily life as well. Many of my clients get a kick out of this and continue the tradition as I am a "Wizard" to them.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.