This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old April 14th, 2006, 04:46 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default OT: Any One Ever

Has any ever bought a game, one that your just super excited about playing, only to get home, install it, and then never play it?

God I hate when I do this. I get so jazzed up about something and run out and buy it, only to install it, play it for about five minutes, then never play it again. Its not that I hate the game, it's just that the excitement ruined it.

Has this happened to any of you?

IG2
GalCiv 2
Freespace 2
Call2duty
Dungeon Siege
Nights of the old Republic
Elite Forece II
Quake IV
Doom III
Empire Earth II
AOE III
Civ IV
etc
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:16 PM

Colonel

Loser is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Any One Ever

CivIV is actually an excellent game.

I had to upgrade to a 512Mb video card and 2Gb of RAM to play it, but it's a great game.
Old April 15th, 2006, 11:00 AM

Captain

AgentZero is on a distinguished road

Never actually never played something I'd payed for, but I've played most of what you've mentioned, so:
IG2: Not really worth it. Anti-climatic (and buggy) ending
GalCiv2: Ok, haven't played it
Freespace 2: Got it when it came out, still on my HD. Well worth your while, especially with all the mods out there
Call2duty: Never played, my friends are big fans of it though
Dungeon Siege: Failed to keep my attention. A single player RPG that skimps on the storyline will doesn't interest me much.
Knights of the Old Republic: My 3rd favourite RPG (behind Baldur's Gate 2 & Neverwinter Nights). Despite it's flaws, KotOR 2 was very good as well. There's something extremely satisfying about getting 3 Jedi wielding dual lightsabers carving their way through legions of Stormtroopers
Elite Force 2: Played it and it's prequel on a friend's computer. Neither managed to hold my attention for more than a couple hours
Quake IV: Makes my current PC cry
Doom III: See Above
Empire Earth 2: Good, but not good enough to save it from being purged when HD space became an issue
AOE III: Ditto
Civ4: I'm becoming disillusioned by the who series. 3 & 4 have just failed to maintain the simplicity that made the first two such a joy. On the other hand, I've got Civ3 on my mobile phone & it rocks!

The only games I can think of that would fit your description would be games I've bought, played & never finished, & include:
Project IGI: Forgot I don't really like FPS's
No One Lives Forever: Almost made me forget I don't like FPS's. Almost
The Longest Journey: Uninstalled due to HD space issues, reinstalled, forgotten about, lost 2 of the CDs. My sister has it though so I'll be nicking it when I'm home, because it is brilliant
Soldier of Fortune 2: Again with the FPS's! That & the fact I can't get through one mission, god mode or no

Of course, the list of games that I got walkthroughs/cheats/trainers just to finish off is much, muhc longer
Old April 15th, 2006, 02:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hugh Manatee is on a distinguished road

Black & White, it was on clearace, very cheap with it's expansion, but I just can't bring myself to click the icon....

Also I have a collection of "Sim" type games that I got, mainly because they could run on my old pentium 90. I got Sim City 2000 gold, Simant, Simearth, SimCopter, Strets of Simcity, SimTower, and the original SimCity, of thoe I've played 2000, Sim Copter amd streets of simcity the most, the others not so much. Sim Tower was ok, played it on and off, never got the hang of sim ant, sim earth, original sim city or the other "sim" games I got.

Sim City 2000 + SCURK + Simcopter + Streets(with justthe right PC to play it) is one of the greatest game series in the history of PC gaming.
Old April 15th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

FYI:
Yoot Tower = SimTower2
Old April 15th, 2006, 05:37 PM

Captain

AgentZero is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hugh Manatee said:
Black & White, it was on clearace, very cheap with it's expansion, but I just can't bring myself to click the icon....

Add that to the list of games I played but never bothered finishing. Honestly, who would have thought being a god would be so... tedious?
All I know, is that if the big guy upstairs had to pay as much attention to one or two cranky people as I did, the world would be a lot happier place.

GalCiv2 is in serious danger of being added to the list as well. The ship designer is bloody cool & I probably spent more time playing with it than playing the game, but I still ended up back with the SE5 beta in about 3 hours. I don't know if that's good for SE5, or bad for GalCiv2. Maybe both?