.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old August 10th, 2004, 12:31 AM

Default Re: So how \'bout those Mets?

I'm pretty amazed that you seem to think you have concrete and irrefutable proof in which to do a 'instant-right-now-banning'. Or you seem to want lightspeed 'justice' as far as how things are done. I'm sorry if deliberation as far as 'Should someone be IP Banned' from a forum that he is supposedly leaving in any regard is taking too long for you or feel you need a play by minute review of (if any) action that is taken or opinions expressed.

As far as I know, KO and JK have had a hard time accessing the Beta Forums since the upgrade and the Moderator Forum so the conversation could not even be held until that is fixed and they can view/access such Posts and 'evidence' presented.

I don't like your tone or implication one bit, with how much I've had to work with you Stormbinder, I'd think you'd give people a little more slack who have given you an incredible amount in the past and present.

If you want swift and heavy handed justice without proper consideration, I can certainly provide that in equal amounts on both sides of the coin in the future.
Old August 10th, 2004, 12:32 AM

First Lieutenant

Stormbinder is on a distinguished road

[quote]

I was not in that game. I was in Dom2 lurk mode for a while having been on vacation and pulled out of a few MP games at GG. I read all the pertaining threads at the time though. My point was that his method of defending himself was nearly identical in both instances. Vague responses and proud refusals to explain himself.
[quote]

Gotcha. I though that maybe you are like our AhhhhFresh player in that game, who loves to have different nicks on different Boards. And yes, you are absolutely correct about similarities.

As for "something that he could not control" - I think he was refering to the voices in his head, telling him what he must do. AFAIK, half of the crazy guys have them...
Old August 10th, 2004, 12:39 AM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Yeh. Someone definately doesn't believe in "innocent until proven guilty", or "beyond a reasonable doubt". After all - hypothetically, it'd be more likely that the host or the person with the master password was doing any digital manipulation of game files.

Or that a bombastic flake with an obsession and a grudge was framing someone. All that is hypothetical - but juries have acquitted on less grounds.

Speaking of people with obsessions - Stormbinder, stop sending me private Messages. I have told you this before : anything you want to say to me, say in public instead of whispering in my ear.
Old August 10th, 2004, 12:51 AM

First Lieutenant

Zapmeister is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Someone definately doesn't believe in "innocent until proven guilty", or "beyond a reasonable doubt".
I certainly believe in "beyond a reasonable doubt", and that's where I find myself. The notion that Stormbinder would have the ability (no offense, Stormbinder) or motivation to fabricate files framing Norfleet is laughable.

What bothers me is the fact that Stormbinder has done so much work, resulting in such great benefit (assuming the popular conclusion is correct, which as I said seems beyond doubt) and yet is getting vilification instead of thanks. Puzzling and disturbing.
Old August 10th, 2004, 12:52 AM

First Lieutenant

Stormbinder is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Yeh. Someone definately doesn't believe in "innocent until proven guilty", or "beyond a reasonable doubt". After all - hypothetically, it'd be more likely that the host or the person with the master password was doing any digital manipulation of game files.
Sure. As a matter of fact, both me and Mose have conspired to frame poor and innocent Norfleet. But good old Cainehill is too smart for us, we could not fool him. <sob>

Old August 10th, 2004, 01:21 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What bothers me is the fact that Stormbinder has done so much work, resulting in such great benefit (assuming the popular conclusion is correct, which as I said seems beyond doubt) and yet is getting vilification instead of thanks. Puzzling and disturbing.
Are you really interested? Consider this...
Maybe its because most people dont feel that the end justifies the means. In this case the means would be the tone and threads we all had to put up with. Norfleet may have been the one in the wrong, but the way such things were presented left more people on Norfleets side than on Stormbinders.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 10th, 2004, 01:27 AM

Considering this is coming from someone who 'Banned' Norfleet months ago, I would have to venture a guess that your mind was made up long before any 'proof' or 'hard work' was given. The problem with the bandwagon is it's always ready for more members, on their way to other places.

As I have said before, and maybe it's not being clear. IF: This is Cheating (which it appears to be at least to some) THEN: Some sort of 'official' action as far as forums go will be taken. IF: Illwinter and Co. feel the need or inclination to judge and lay down a punishment THEN: It will be administered and more than likely provided to the community though the reasoning or depth of the first IF may or may not be revealed.

If you want to take a guess at what stage this is in, look at the beginning.
Old August 10th, 2004, 01:30 AM

I would also like to say, that cheating has been going on previous to this one incidient, by more than one person before in the past and more than likely will in the future. There is a reason that "Cheat Prevention" was implemented. Not some, by the fly "This would be a cool feature" type of decision. But one based on need.

So take it for what it's worth, but if Norfleet was cheating then he was most certainly not the first, and most certainly wasn't the Last, and most certainly was known about to a degree.
Old August 10th, 2004, 01:33 AM

First Lieutenant

The_Tauren13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Maltrease:
...and fragging each other in some 3D shooting game.
i object. i spend half my life playing counter-strike

i for one am very sad to see norfleet gone. as a person, i really liked him, and it seemed to me he always contributed to the forums in a positive way. but then, i never had to suffer the indignity of playing against him and his 'cheats', in which case i might see things differently. i mean, when playing counter-strike, i always want to see cheaters/hackers hung from the ceiling by their balls.

Quote:
Cainehill:
Or that a bombastic flake with an obsession and a grudge was framing someone
who are you to talk about a grudge obsession? this coming from the guy who never passes up a chance to yell at Cohen, who even seems to have reformed now

imo norfleet's eagerness to leave is practically a confession. probably he will come back; i think he would be bored to death if he didnt play dom II. one can always hope that he will come back under a new name, continue contributing to the forums, but give up his cheating habits. unfortunately, that kind of thing never happens

on a side note, what does the title of this thread refer to? 'Mets' meaning?
Old August 10th, 2004, 01:38 AM

Lieutenant General

archaeolept is on a distinguished road

well of course ends justify means. what else could?

which isn't to say that the general implied point about tone and presentation on storm's part isn't w/out a lot of merit.

otoh, we might wonder why there was seemingly so little interest on the part of "the powers that be" (Moderators, beta testers, etc...) in the norfleet phenomenon - its not like there wasn't a tide of complaints about the overpoweredness of clams, of VQ's, of castling; all originating specifically in these games. No one thought that where there was so much smoke there might be fire? It has been months since those first examples of norfleetian excess. But the response of many was just to insist that there couldn't be a problem, whether the problem turned out to be norf or game mechanics, and to not even pursue any investigation into the source of all these complaints upon their own initiative.

storm may well have been distasteful in his public pursuit of norfleet, but in the end his hounding actually gave results.

personally, i'm glad to know that castling and clamming are likely not such big problems as they originally appeared to those many of us who experienced their supposed effects first hand.
Quote:
Considering this is coming from someone who 'Banned' Norfleet months ago, I would have to venture a guess that your mind was made up long before any 'proof' or 'hard work' was given. The problem with the bandwagon is it's always ready for more members, on their way to other places.
well, i believe zapmeister has actually played games w/ norfleet, unlike some others.