.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old August 2nd, 2006, 12:04 PM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pure Dominion victory

Also try combining your super dominion push with a global that will damage the enemys invading (and if your dominion is far reaching non invading) armies. Also, as i said try to get a chokepoint and load it (or them, try to make it no more than 3 provinces) with longbowmen and atleast 1 or 2 vine ogre makers.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 08:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

Valandil is on a distinguished road

You could also cast the wild hunt, using your high-nature pretender. Might help a bit.

Old August 2nd, 2006, 10:41 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Saxon said:
Ok, it sounds like it is possible, but would it stand up in MP? It seems that MP is the real test of strategies. It seems to me that your enemy could fairly cheaply start putting up temples, PD and preists and hold you off. In the mean time, could them then stomp on you with some other strategy? How does this rank as a strategy versus many of the others?
You are correct: the dominion-only strategy does not hold up in MP. As you say, humans detect your dominion-attack far better than the AI and rapidly move to patrol and preach to counter you. Additionally they would take your moves as a declaration of war and attack you - at least to destroy your temples if not wipe you out entirely.

The only case of a dominion-attack strategy that I have heard of succeeding was with GE Arco - BUT - the player only used the dom-attack in conjunction with a regular military attack. Big teams of Skeptics were used to nuke enemy dominion to great effect (provinces going from dom 10 -> dom 0 in a single turn!). Backed up with very strong dominion to overrun the dom of these provinces. I'm sure Stone Idols were put into play as well as Arco is great at building those.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 10:52 PM

Major

Wish is on a distinguished road

you could stealth preach, set up like 5-10 monks in each province, and only have them all preach once in place.

I am suprised no one is doing this in council of wyrms.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 11:03 PM

Captain

Ygorl is on a distinguished road

Who says nobody is?

Well, as the monk-man in CoW, I suppose it's safe to admit that nobody is.
Even with low-level patrolling (moderate PD or a small force of real troops) a force of 5-10 monks would be discovered in 1-2 turns. If someone noticed that they were finding monks in all their provinces every turn, they might get upset.

I think it would be about impossible to dominion-kill a human player without them knowing it was happening. I did take out Jurri (playing as BF Ulm) in one game (me as GE Arcoscephale) that way but I had the support of a massive army (first Ermorian, then Arcoscephalean) in his capital to keep him from patrolling my skeptics into oblivion. It was just easier and safer to do that versus sieging a well-defended fortress.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 11:08 PM

Major

Wish is on a distinguished road

marignon can have stealth preachers too

thing is, since they are each individuals they are not considered a "large" army... however after even two get caught, maybe even one, they'd be on to you

shoot I catch scouts and assassins trying to cross my HEAVILY patrolled pythium border all the dang time.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 01:40 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ygorl said:
I think it would be about impossible to dominion-kill a human player without them knowing it was happening. I did take out Jurri (playing as BF Ulm) in one game (me as GE Arcoscephale) that way but I had the support of a massive army (first Ermorian, then Arcoscephalean) in his capital to keep him from patrolling my skeptics into oblivion. It was just easier and safer to do that versus sieging a well-defended fortress.
Ah, so that was you Ygorl. I'd heard the story but I couldnt recall who the player was. Did you use any Stone Idols? Or just skeptic teams?
Old August 3rd, 2006, 03:40 PM

Captain

Jurri is on a distinguished road

Awww, I get to be part of a legend, and then it's like that

Oftentimes it's more cost-efficient to outpreach a single or even a couple fortresses in my experience as well, and it's not that uncommon in MP either. What is more difficult is dominion-killing someone who still has a significant amount of land. While undoubtedly possible, I suspect it's rarely worth the trouble, since usually everybody uses a reasonably high-dominion pretender (which translates to efficient temples and high concentrations of dominion) or else has a special plan to avoid dominion death.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 03:45 PM

Captain

Ygorl is on a distinguished road

No stone idols, just 20 or so skeptics (one of which was prophetized and preaching) and a few priestesses and archangels. It took a long time.

Jurri, if I had my say, you'd get to be part of *all* the legends!
You've probably earned your way into most of them...
Old August 4th, 2006, 05:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

Manuk is on a distinguished road

How can you know in MP if someone is dominion-attacking you?
if you cannot identify whos dominion is, If I don't remember bad enemy dominion is black candles in any case and of any other player than you.