.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old April 17th, 2008, 03:23 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: magic modding question

can pretenders have holy magic?
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:48 PM

BANNED USER

Edratman2 is on a distinguished road

I have been able to put holy magic on pretenders using map mods. Never tried it making a sacred pretender that would be chosen in startup menu.
Old April 17th, 2008, 04:16 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Yeah pretenders can have holy magic.
Old April 17th, 2008, 05:26 PM

Lieutenant General

so if I can produce a reason to FORCE pplz to chose my pretenders (the only earth/holy pretenders) then I can basicly force them not to have anyother magic path available to start with

but wait did someone say you can creat researchable holy spells?

So I could make a pretender w/o magic, create a bunch of holy spells too and let those have the effects I want?

so then
- no labs for my race?
- no magic

arg dammit
it would mean no forging too unless I create a whole bunch of holy forgable items (ehm is that possible?).. which would still require research in construction.. (which is no problem I realize now)

PS I realize a race like this wouldn't have many different strats (even less options than LA ermor).. but still could be fun.. if you like dwarves

So I could make a pretender with high holy magic
I could create new holy spells to do damage or buff
the race could forge "holy" items
.. but can you make holy summons?
Old April 17th, 2008, 05:46 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

It seems I wrote my post too tired. When I wrote "there are no holy spells", I of course meant "there are no holy GEMS". You can't make holy items, and holy can only be the secondary path of any spell that takes even one gem.
Old April 17th, 2008, 05:56 PM

Lieutenant General

well then they would get no spells which cost gems.. not a problem earthquake holy and w/o gems.. dwarfs wouldn't mind I think.

Well maybe earth magic isn't such a problem for dwarves, I can see earth magic as rune magic in a way. being able to get some indies through labs isn't that much of a deal either really, you could hire mages in "reality" too.

On my research I've not been thinkin straight either since the spell could be placed within any research group so to get them you'd still need to research different paths.. (though the gains would not be that great with only earth available)

I'd still make the pretender holy/earth only and not really able to get other paths AND I'd need something vital that needs the combo of HIGH earth/HIGH holy (5/5 at least) to force the players not to use other pretenders..

a unique summon would do the trick.. if I can find a reason why that would be used --> I could force pplz to use an IMMOBILE pretender some "holy rune of divine dwarven power" which could produce a unit/turn --> a SC which would be used a bit like a regular pretender.. or would that create the same unit turn after turn so you can't use it (instead of only summoning it when it's dead again)
Old April 19th, 2008, 11:54 AM

Lieutenant General

OK I need something... some reason why you would need my 4E/4holy (or whatever) pretender instead of a regular one.

(because obviously my thinking in last post is not correct)

I need something VITAL your pretender can do and no other can.
Old April 19th, 2008, 03:02 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Your nation could have no recruitables - you need to summon commanders who then summon troops, you can only get onto the summoning ladder with an initial 4E4H commander summoning ritual.

That way the nation would be unplayable without your pretender.
Old April 19th, 2008, 03:20 PM

Lieutenant General

hmm a good idea, and what I asked for.. but.. well.. dwarves are not summoned in my point of view, but recruited.

Isn't there a way to kill all pretenders w/o earth and holy magic in a province, through a site or something?
--> doubt it

Or to domkill you if you don't have a earth/holy pretender?
--> guess not

Or make it so only a certain pretender could get you the primary castle? --> this might be an idea if I could get a start prov without a castle, but I fear that can't be done either.
Old April 19th, 2008, 06:13 PM

Lieutenant General

I've got 2 new options

1. would it be possible to make a spell that creates a magicsite (a magic site that would normally be your cap-only magic site), which produces your cap only units? That would really be a reason to take the pretender that has the ability to cast that spell.

2. Or (on the same thingie) not as spell but to have a cap only magic site (the one which will create your important units) that doesn't show up to start with but that could only be found by a holy 6 mage/priest (which would be what your pretender has to do on his first turn?)