This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > TO&Es
Notices

Old July 15th, 2009, 03:03 PM

Private

montieth is on a distinguished road
Default British AFV armament peculiarity.

I've noticed that a number of British tanks and AFVs have the Bren as a Coaxial Machine gun. This is, to the best of my knowledge grossly incorrect. There were Bren LMGs onboard the AFVs but as a secondary AA and Ground weapon. The Lakeman mounts were discarded in the ETO as the Luftwaffe was more or less absent but they were usually still retained. I've seen photos of british tanks with the Bren set up on the roof as a useful close in weapon for dealing with Jerry's trying to get close. It was NOT a coaxial weapon however. The magazine prevents it use as such.

Basic weapon fits should be:
Humber Mk I, II and IIIs,
7.92mm Besa, 15mm Besa

The MK III Humber should have a 4 man crew as well.
Driver, Gunner, Commander, Radio Operator. It has a larger turret which was roomy enough for the MKIV humber to have the same turret and the larger US 37mm installed which necessitated the removal of the 4th man.

Vickers Mk VIb
.303 Vickers, .50 Vickers

Vickers Mk VIc
.7.92mm besa, 15mm Besa.

Also, the 15mm BESA in the various vehicles has an HE round listed. This is also, to my knowledge, incorrect. It's my understanding that the 15mm besa was adopted as an Anti AFV weapon and had a steel core AP round. At worst, it would have a ball round where the Steel AP was not available.

Could someone send me a current British OOB file? I moded mine in a fit of annoyance. I'll go back through and see what jumps out at me.

Something else.
Should hand-grenades and the like be added as vehicle weapons? Most british afvs had a bin for these to keep them handy. 3 would be a proper incremental number.
See http://www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/br...Cstow3-5.o.htm for an example.
Old July 15th, 2009, 04:31 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: British AFV armament peculiarity.

It should still be there just swap it with your current one using manage OOB sets in utilities. Copy your modded one to the custom file first if you have not done so.
Old July 15th, 2009, 04:55 PM

Private

A more specific example 298, MkIVb is listed as having x2 #152 .303 Bren CMGs.

It should have #117 0.5 Vickers TMG
And
#137 Vickers T/CMG

The 15mm BESA should probably have similar if not better penetration as the .55 boyes.
From Tony William's site.

METRIC DESIGNATION 15 x 104/101
RIM DIAMETER - 24.9 mm
NATIONALITY - CZ / UK
PROJECTILE (type/weight) - AP / 75 (grams?)
VELOCITY - 880 (m/s)
NAME / WEAPONS - WW2 ZB vz/60, BESA afv
Old July 16th, 2009, 02:05 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by montieth View Post
I've noticed that a number of British tanks and AFVs have the Bren as a Coaxial Machine gun. This is, to the best of my knowledge grossly incorrect.

"A number of tanks" you say...... anyone reading that would assume that to be quite a few when in fact it's only THREE vehicles represented by 4 units. HARDLY " A number of units" except that it's a very low number of units and, in fact represents only 0.0058% of the units in that OOB

Then you go on to tell us that

Quote:
Basic weapon fits should be:
Humber Mk I, II and IIIs,
7.92mm Besa, 15mm Besa
Which is EXACTLY what those units are armed with in the game. One would assume from the text of your post that we somehow stuck Brens in there when that isn't the case so WHY write this ???

I've made a note to look into the use of the Bren CMG on the Mk VIb and the two Marmon-Herringtons as well as the use of the Besa instead of the vickers on the MkIvc.

Now stop exagerating and get a grip on that "a fit of annoyance" If you're going to tell me what wrong you should at least know the basic details of the game that there are stock OOB's aways in the game in the "Default OOBs" folder

Don

Last edited by DRG; July 16th, 2009 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: corrected the actual number of units involved was 4 not 6
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:02 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Default Re: British AFV armament peculiarity.-- Bren CMG

http://www.geocities.com/marmonherrington/armdcar.html

The Mark II was a four wheel drive front engined vehicle. It served with both the UDF and British forces. It was initially delivered to UDF armoured car companies in November 1940 while the first units in the Middle East received them in March 1941. A total of 887 Mark II were built. Deliveries ended in May 1941. Armament was initially that of the Mark I. However, the turret and armament were subsequently changed for those serving in the Middle East to a flat faced turret mounting a .55 cal. Boys ATR and a Bren LMG. There were pintle mountings on the front roof for an additional Bren LMG and a pintle mounting for a Vickers MMG at the rear of the turret. However, it appears that the second Bren LMG was rarely carried.

The Mark III was very similar to the Mark II in appearance. However, it had a shorter wheel base (117 inches instead of 134 inches). Armament was the same as the Mark II on Middle East service. A total of 2,630 were produced with deliveries from May 1941 through August 1942.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmon-...n_Armoured_Car

Marmon-Herrington Mk II. It and the Mk III were extensively used during the North African Campaign, mostly for reconnaissance being the only armoured car available in sufficient numbers, and had a reputation as a reliable, but underarmoured vehicle. Their normal armament, consisting of a 0.55 inch Boys anti-tank rifle in a turret, a coaxial Bren machine gun and one or two additional machine guns for anti-aircraft defence

http://www.wargaming.net/tanks/s_afr...herrington.htm

also shows a Bren

as does

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/southafr...herrington.asp

which shows a Bren in the Mk II and a Vickers in the Mk III

Don
Old July 16th, 2009, 11:38 AM

Private

I'm sorry you took offense at my post Don. I was merely pointing out an error of fact.

Insofar as the Bren Being Coaxially mounted on the Marmon Herrington Mk 1 and Mk II cars, that Boyes and Bren are likely NOT mounted on the same mount. Certainly they are facing out of the same face of the turret, but I strongly suspect, given how the RAC and it's various contributors never mounted brens on 'fixed mounts' ala a BESA or AFV version of the vickers. Looking closely, you'll see that the MH MKI and MK II cars were fitted with a Ball mount for a vickers and a fixture to take a Boyes on the MKIIs. The Vickers MMG ball fixture was removed and replaced with a point for a bren, presumably to use the Vickers in the Flexible role.

You'll note that this photo, shows the BOYES at elevation and the Bren at a straight depression. This is a preceise example of a mount that is NOT coaxial. Co-Axial - Same Axis. On AFVs with a coaxial mount where the weapons are controlled by the gunner, they both move, that is to say, elevate (and maybe train) with each other on the same fixed mounting. Though, admittedly warwheels uses the same term incorrectly.

Suffice to say, I'm strongly inclined to understand that the MH Mk I and MK II cars had a pad for the base of the receiver of the Boyes and Bren (in the case of the MK II) to sit upon, similar to that which my Dingo has or which my various friends Bren Carriers have.

My point still stands, in the close confines of MOST afvs which have a roof over the turret, a Bren would be awfully difficult to service and operate. The barrel handle necessitates far more of the weapon inside the turret and the magazine changes are exceptionally awkward. The Bren also lacks a mounting for which to fix it to in an AFV. One COULD use the mounts which are used on the tripod, but that would mean a VERY long and very obtrusive mount from forward of the barrel handle and just under the buttstock. I've handled a Bren in an AFV, a fixed mount would take a great deal of room. That's why the British just put them on pads on the front of the AFV or entirely outside the vehicle as on a PLM mount (Humber SC).

Compare the MH or Humber/Morris LRCs to the Vickers and the gun mounts on the vickers are clearly a an elevation only mount with the .50 and .303 vickers guns elevated on the same fixture with the same outer mantlet protecting the guns. They do not elevate separately and they are co-axial. Suffice to say, with those large water cooling jackets, it's quite clear that those are NOT Bren LMGs but Vickers MMGs fitted. One a .303 the other a .50 (note the larger cone on the .50).

Insofar as the Humber AC's go, I could not recall if they were incorrect or not. I did note that the MK III had the wrong crew count. I was articulating the weapon fit for completeness.
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:11 PM

Private

Ok, I didn't realize that the default OOB files were stored in a separate area as well. That's a good thing.

Ok. I'm also seeing BESAs missing where they're listed as other ~30 cal MGs.

MKVIc
15mm Besa
Vickers T/CMG - Should be a 7.92mm Besa.

Humber MK IV
37mm Gun (M5)
30 Cal CMG - should be a 7.92mm BESA

AEC Mk III
75mm Gun
30 Cal CMG - should be a 7.92mm BESA

Guy MK I
Vickers T/CMG - should be a .50 Vickers. (Same setup as the Vickers MKVIb)
Vickers T/CMG

Something that could go either way is the oddity that is the Humber Scout Car. I've seen in historic photos, Vickers K Guns singly and dual on the PLM mount and sometimes One or Two Bren guns with the 100 round drums. I'm not sure what is or is not really standard.
Old July 16th, 2009, 01:01 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

I think you might be missing the point in some ways, have not looked but consider the scale of the game how much diffrence is there between the MGs its not possible to model every varient where do you stop. If in game terms the diffrence is marginal its not really worthwhile.
Also I am guessing coaxial MG in the game tells it its not a bow MG whether it is mounted that way or not is irrelivant as all weapons that can fire do so at the same target anyway.
Old July 16th, 2009, 03:46 PM

Private

Imp, the variants are modeled. The MKVIb vickers light tank is modeled as is the MkVIc. they have disparate armament. I'm just pointing out the discrepancy between what is stated and what is in fact reality.

If you're reverenceing my point on the Humber SC, I was observing that in that particular case it is somewhat hard to pin down a correct armament. When I get a look at the stowage diagrams for the MkI and MkII and delve more deeply into one, I'll know more for sure. Either way, I'm not proposing representing all visible examples of Humber Scout's with 1/2 Brens or Vickers K-guns.

Suffice to say, while say Dingo's had other alternative armaments, a Bren is correct and proper. (15 Recce apparently had a Dingo armed with 2 Vickers K guns. I have no idea how they stowed the magazines as the 100 round drums don't easily fit anywhere and you more or less have to either rig a stowage bin up in place of the 30 round magazine storage at observers knees or hold them in your lap. The crew space on a dingo is NOT very spacious. (That's my former scout car btw).

All also note, that form a cursory glance, the Bow MG's have shorter range, most likely due to the presumption of a lower position and due to the limitations of the mount. The Coax MGs have the more extended ranges as the gunner has more freedom of traverse presumably.

There is also a gross difference between a Vickers firing .303 MKVIII BLTZ and a .50 vickers firing 12.7x81 SAP rounds.

Please, note, I'm not trying to pee in anyone's porridge here. I'm just providing some details that I am either intimately familiar with or at least familiar with in the first person from looking at details while trying to find parts that are common between various british AFV's for the purposes of restoration of my own vehicles. I could barely tell you what was in a certain Ausf of Panzer III, with British AFV's I'm more familiar.

Last edited by montieth; July 16th, 2009 at 03:56 PM..
Old July 17th, 2009, 12:36 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
I'm sorry you took offense at my post Don. I was merely pointing out an error of fact.
And your reply conveniently skirts the issue of exaggeration

Quote:

I've noticed that a number of British tanks and AFVs have the Bren as a Coaxial Machine gun
The NUMBER was 3 which caused you to mod your OOB's in a childish "a fit of annoyance". Not really very impressive behaviour was it ?

If you can provide information on errors then that's fine, we appreciate it and it makes the game better but in the future do try to do so WITHOUT the ridiculous exaggerations.

As for the Marmon Herrington's, there were armed in a wide variety of ways including captured weaponry. What I was pointing out with my examples is someone else has provided info that Brens had been pressed into service as "CMG's" on that vehicle and that's how that unit ended up with that armament in the game. As for the MkIV b's, I have NO idea who set them up with twin brens but I can say they have been like that in the Brit OOB for years.

A "CMG" and a "TMG" gun in the game have the exact same use and effects and was set up that way years ago simply as a naming convention to specify their main use and to differentiate them from the BMG's and infantry MG's so IF a Bren was stuck through a hole in the front of a turret as a secondary weapon that makes it a CMG in game terms so it's not used by OOB designers as a LMG infantry weapon.

Don