.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old January 24th, 2012, 12:53 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Phantom Barbed Wire

I'm working on a scenario that will be part of a campaign so to ensure the CORE forces stayed the same I used the editor to delete all opposition (except the HQ) units and any non-CORE friendly units. Then selected a "Custom" map to load the map I will use for the new scenario.

The problem is in the 1st scenario I had placed some barbed wire, and while it is not visually in the hexes on the 2nd scenario map the hexes still show "Height 30 Earth Barbed Wire" when you mouse over them and this phantom barbed wire impedes movement when playing scenario 2.

I have tried using the "Build Minefields, ..." button to place barbed wire in the effected hexes in order to remove it. But the editor will not allow me to place wire in those hexes, nor will it allow me to remove the phantom wire.

HELP !

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old January 24th, 2012, 03:11 PM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Phantom Barbed Wire

Do you have a "clean" save of the map, i.e. before any units etc were added?
Old January 24th, 2012, 04:13 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfir View Post
Do you have a "clean" save of the map, i.e. before any units etc were added?
For map #2 yes I do.
But I have tried reloading the map and it doesn't help.
I am so hoping the solution isn't to have to go back to square one and re-purchase and re-edit the entire CORE OOB.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old January 24th, 2012, 05:18 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,425 Times in 2,696 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Have you tried clearing the "affected" areas down to clear terrain then rebuilding them without the wire? Sometimes that's the only way to fix it.

Basically, nuke that area back to the bedrock then rebuild

Don
Old January 24th, 2012, 05:33 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Have you tried clearing the "affected" areas down to clear terrain then rebuilding them without the wire? Sometimes that's the only way to fix it.

Basically, nuke that area back to the bedrock then rebuild

Don
That I haven't tried yet.
I was sort of hoping to avoid it because it effects about 50 hexes and while not nearly as much work as an OOB rebuild it's hardly something I look forward to.

Edit:
Tried clearing the terrain - no luck.
Tried making the hex deep water (where barbed wire can't be placed) - no luck.

Found a solution
"Clear" the entire map then reload the map you wish to use.

Andy,
May I request a code change so when a new map is loaded ALL unit "dug-in" status and defensive (wire, mines, etc.) data is cleared? And while you're at it (not like you don't have 1,000,000 more important things to do) reset all VP flags into hex 1,1 at value 100 and neutral?
It would make scenario work easier if we could "reset" everything back to square one when we create/tweak scenarios.

Last edited by Suhiir; January 24th, 2012 at 05:59 PM..
Old January 24th, 2012, 06:04 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,425 Times in 2,696 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Here's an idea ........DON'T SAVE A MAP WITH DUG IN FEATURES IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO DO OTHER THINGS WITH IT.

That advice has worked for years. Usually sceanrio designers only make that mistake once.

Here's another idea.......DON'T SAVE A MAP WITH OBJECTIVE FLAGS ON

dON
Old January 24th, 2012, 06:11 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Here's an idea ........DON'T SAVE A MAP WITH DUG IN FEATURES IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO DO OTHER THINGS WITH IT.

That advice has worked for years. Usually sceanrio designers only make that mistake once.

Here's another idea.......DON'T SAVE A MAP WITH OBJECTIVE FLAGS ON

dON
Actually what I'd done was created the CORE OOB while making scenario #1 then wanting to keep the same exact OOB for the campaign I loaded a copy of scenario #1 and deleted all AI units (except the HQ) and all Aux units from the player OOB then loaded a different map to use for scenario #2 and saved in a new slot.
Seems some of the map data (the phantom wire) carried over from the previous scenario and was applied to the new map.

Old January 24th, 2012, 07:08 PM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
I am so hoping the solution isn't to have to go back to square one and re-purchase and re-edit the entire CORE OOB.
Good you found a solution - and yeah, I figured you'd probably spent a great deal of time customizing the CORE OOB (I assume the campaign core is set to FIXED not OPEN)...

though sometimes one has to cover the same ground again....
...the classic: power failure, and you have not saved the map your applying the finishing touches and that you've been working on for the last couple of hours.
Old January 24th, 2012, 07:57 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfir View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
Good you found a solution - and yeah, I figured you'd probably spent a great deal of time customizing the CORE OOB (I assume the campaign core is set to FIXED not OPEN)...

though sometimes one has to cover the same ground again....
...the classic: power failure, and you have not saved the map your applying the finishing touches and that you've been working on for the last couple of hours.
Yeah, fixed CORE with 442 units. A TO&E Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) plus a bucket of campaign specific units (civilians, ambassadors (you REALLY don't want to lose), wounded, etc. I had lot's of "fun" editing units (including some icons with the scenario editor).

I've even e-mailed myself copies of my revised OOB and scenarios as back-ups to my back-ups in case I lose a hard drive (again) or get my computer stolen (again).
Paranoid? Me? Nope.

I don't mind (too much) losing a days work, but don't want to lose a weeks worth.

Old January 25th, 2012, 04:19 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Did you try loading the map in the extended map editor & using the DAMAGE button to remove all damage, this would clear the whole map of fortifications / shellholes.

Alternativly cut out the section you wish to remove damage from & paste it back in once you have done so if you dont want to effect the rest of the map.